Aftermarket 360° camera kit any suggestions and experiences?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
cowboyxx2000

Aftermarket 360° camera kit any suggestions and experiences?

Post by cowboyxx2000 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:04 am

Good morning to everyone and hope you are safe.
After introducing myself on the forum page I have my first question.
Bought my Velar yesterday and i found the perfect one (Ordering it at now would have recieve it in late October) But there is an issue.......
Couldent find one with 360° degrees camera system. The car will be driven by my wife in the tight spaces and road holes of Rome and for those dimensions i think the camera system is a "life (and bodykit) saver".

Therefore i looked at an aftermarket kit and found a few.

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket system? I am quite sure it will link via the hdmi port.
Second question. If yes is it possible to have a shortcut button on steering wheel or main menu for the HDMI?
I immagine it is not possible to link and show up automaticly with the parking sensors

Thank you for all your answers.

Have a great day
Claudio

Simonh

Re: Aftermarket 360° camera kit any suggestions and experiences?

Post by Simonh » Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum.

If you did find a system it would have to be completely independent of the cars systems (apart from power). Only the short cuts available would be possible. You can select source I think from the shortcut button so this maybe be your quickest way to switching to the HDMI input. Never tried but I’m pretty sure the HDMI will cut out as soon as the car moves though as it’s illegal for the driver to watch media while driving. HDMI is a media port.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Simonh wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am
Welcome to the forum.

If you did find a system it would have to be completely independent of the cars systems (apart from power). Only the short cuts available would be possible. You can select source I think from the shortcut button so this maybe be your quickest way to switching to the HDMI input. Never tried but I’m pretty sure the HDMI will cut out as soon as the car moves though as it’s illegal for the driver to watch media while driving. HDMI is a media port.
This is true. The HDMI shuts off when you shift into gear, so you’d need a 3rd party screen to display the cameras unfortunately. There’s a bypass product that could help, but I don’t believe anyone on the forum has tested and confirmed it works as intended:

Hope that’s helpful, as it does look like it would achieve allowing your cameras to flow through HDMI while actively parking.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

cowboyxx2000

Post by cowboyxx2000 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks to @380narvikeclipse and @Simonh.
Didn't actually think about the cut of...... Thanks for the hint and dthe video.
Furthermore on the steering wheel will it be possible to ad a shortcut to hdmi or only from the touch monitor?

Thanks

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm

No problem.
For the steering wheel, you can Set “Next Source” as either a short or long press of the button, but cannot designate a specific source unfortunately. That may change with a software update, but is how it is for me on 19C at the moment (latest availability in US).

-Jake
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

cowboyxx2000

Post by cowboyxx2000 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:05 pm

P380NarvikEclipse wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm
No problem.
For the steering wheel, you can Set “Next Source” as either a short or long press of the button, but cannot designate a specific source unfortunately. That may change with a software update, but is how it is for me on 19C at the moment (latest availability in US).

-Jake
Thanks Jake.
Thought on RR you cold put a button to add a shortcut...
I wish I could have designed my own with sensors.
tough luck.... next one.

You also have HUD on yours?

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Not sure if there’s an explicit HDMI shortcut you can add to one of your Home screens or not. There a number of media shortcuts you can add though. Source is one I’m pretty sure so you tap it and see a list and the select HDMI. Maybe. But then that’s not goona work unless you can disable the cut off on gear select like suggested above.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 am

You can always add extra display for example in the rear mirror, I've seen such products on Aliexpress.

The main problem I'm affraid will be to add cameras on the side of the car at the bottom of side mirrors and later on putting everything together. Maybe buy original side mirrors from wracked Velar that had 360 deg cams?

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm

cowboyxx2000 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:05 pm
P380NarvikEclipse wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm
No problem.

-Jake
Thanks Jake.
Thought on RR you cold put a button to add a shortcut...
I wish I could have designed my own with sensors.
tough luck.... next one.

You also have HUD on yours?
Anytime Cowboy. You can add shortcuts to the steering wheel button as well as to the top screen of the center console, and to Simon’s point that screen may offer an HDMI shortcut; just haven’t had a chance to look yet. If you explore Naviks’ product, make sure to inquire about your market as there may be regional limitations. I also agree the kukoc’s point on camera mounting and looking into OEM mirrors to simplify the install, if it’s possible.

I didn’t opt for the HUD, but it was just a personal preference my wife had as she thought it was distracting on a car hire we had been in.

MBvelar

Post by MBvelar » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 pm

18MY R-Dynamic HSE D240 Corris Grey, Black Pack, 22" Black Rim's, Light Oyster/Ebony, Air-Suspension, Sliding Panoramic Roof