Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
RasTreviso

Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

Post by RasTreviso » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 am

Dear Forum,

I am new here and have taken the time to look through several threads, however I still have some doubts about my upcoming buy/lease for a new Range Rover Velar. Citizen of Denmark but living in Italy, so bear in mind that it's usually sunny and warm weather and will not be doing any offroading! :-)..

Still very much in doubt between the D275, D300 and P300. Obviously the D300 is the best, but here in Italy this car means that you will have to pay an additional yearly tax of 1.500 EUR.

I am 27 years old, but not necessarily looking for sporty, however I do like to be able to get past cars quickly on the road if necessary without being worried, that I am not going to make it.. ;-)..

--

Few questions. Any recommendations on the engine types above?

Questions:

1) The dealer advised, that if I go with the 20" wheels, there will be no ecotassa to be paid (one time payment of around 1.500 EUR before you can drive the car), but if I go 21" or 22", there would be. I am leaning towards the 21", but obviously if the 20" is good enough, that could be fine. I will be going for the black rims - the dealer said that there would not be a huge difference to be seen between 20" and 21", when they are black. What do you think?

2) Other than the choice of engine, I am very much in doubt about how to spec the car. I think I came to the conclusion, that I want the Yulong White (metallic) paint with the black rims and black room (+ pano). However, you know it's very easy to shop yourself poor in options. From the below list, is there anything major that I haven't added or anything that I have added, that is not really worth the money?

From the below, I am thinking about deleting the Surround Camera (approx. 900 EUR), Remove the 21" wheels (go with 20" and save total 1.500-2000 EUR) and other small things like the electric stuff on the steering wheel (approx. 500 EUR). However so far I have not chosen the seat heating, seat ventilation and electric recline. Just the standard 14 way seats. Something I will be missing?

3) Any recommendations in R-Dynamic between SE and HSE? What is the major difference, as the price difference seems to be very high?

--

Current specs (and prices in EUR, sorry) for the build (D240 / D275 / D300) based on the R-Dynamic SE option.
I will not be towing or carrying anything big, therefore not chosen.

Yulong White (1.005 EUR)
Privacy Glass (502 EUR)
21" Style 1033 (1.128 EUR)
Black Roof (711 EUR)
Panoramic Sliding Roof (2.101 EUR)
Black Pack R-Dynamic (976 EUR)
All Black Insert (435 EUR)
Driver Assist Pack (2.405 EUR)
Dynamic Handling Pack (471 EUR - since other options has already been ticked in the SE package as standard, normal 3.341 EUR)
Entrance Metal w. R-Dynamic Logo + Chrome Finish on Sides (255 EUR)
Electrically Adjustable Steering Wheel/Column (435 EUR)
Ionizer (139 EUR)
Ambient Lighting (245 EUR)
Central Wheel Stud/Logo (19 EUR)

--

Really appreciate all your replies to this matter.

BUILD CODE : https://build.landrover/324480EC

// Ras

Pasey25

Re: Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

Post by Pasey25 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:19 am

Hi Ras,

I have 22” wheels. I think that the ride isn’t as good as it would be on 20” rims. I’m keeping an eye out for some second hand 20” rims and tyres so I can try the difference.

From your list I would lose the ioniser. It doesn’t save much, but you live in a lovely area without huge pollution. (My family is originally from the area between Treviso and Pordenone).

I have the P380, it’s a wonderful engine. We do a lot of short trips so diesel isn’t a great option for us. In fact I replaced a 2.4l diesel Alfa wagon with the velar because of issues caused by short trips and the Diesel engine.

Personally the 360 camera is one of my favourite features, I wouldn’t delete it.

The ambient lighting is cool, but other than my kids who like to change it every now and then, we don’t use it.

The rest of the options I would keep.

I hope that helps.

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:52 am

I wanted the P380, but that wasn’t available so I got the P300

Do you really want a sliding panoramic roof? Personally I prefer the fixed one, but that’s a personal choice

I have 22s, I wouldn’t go any lower than 21, I think 20s would look puny

I know you think you want configurable ambient lighting, I did as well, so I won’t try to talk you out of it, but I can’t remember the last time I even changed or looked at it

If you are getting an SE I would suggest getting the extended leather package

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Pasey25 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:19 am
Hi Ras,

I have 22” wheels. I think that the ride isn’t as good as it would be on 20” rims. I’m keeping an eye out for some second hand 20” rims and tyres so I can try the difference.

From your list I would lose the ioniser. It doesn’t save much, but you live in a lovely area without huge pollution. (My family is originally from the area between Treviso and Pordenone).

I have the P380, it’s a wonderful engine. We do a lot of short trips so diesel isn’t a great option for us. In fact I replaced a 2.4l diesel Alfa wagon with the velar because of issues caused by short trips and the Diesel engine.

Personally the 360 camera is one of my favourite features, I wouldn’t delete it.

The ambient lighting is cool, but other than my kids who like to change it every now and then, we don’t use it.

The rest of the options I would keep.

I hope that helps.
Hi Pasey25,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.
I appreciate it!

It’s interesting about the wheels. Most people saying 21” or 22” would be best, but that 20” have the most comfort - although that the 20” looks puny.

If I were to go for the D240, then I could eliminate a one time payment of 1.100-1.600 EUR by choosing 20” instead of 21” (I guess because of emission)..

Now that I am leaving towards the D300, I have to pay a super tax regardless, so have decided on the 21”.

Both the Ionizer and Illumination is so cheap on a 3 year leasing basis, that I think that I will keep them, even if they give very little value.

Wonderful to hear your family is from here. Beautiful place. Love it here!

The Surround Camera I am really in doubt about. I heard it’s not the best on the Velar vs the Porsche Macan fx, but it’s also 900 EUR. Of course it’s not a lot more monthly, than to not have it..

What is your opinion on the Fixed Pano Roof vs Sliding Pano Roof?

Thanks, Pasey25!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Barachus wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:52 am
I wanted the P380, but that wasn’t available so I got the P300

Do you really want a sliding panoramic roof? Personally I prefer the fixed one, but that’s a personal choice

I have 22s, I wouldn’t go any lower than 21, I think 20s would look puny

I know you think you want configurable ambient lighting, I did as well, so I won’t try to talk you out of it, but I can’t remember the last time I even changed or looked at it

If you are getting an SE I would suggest getting the extended leather package
Hi Barachus,

Greatly appreciate your reply!
Important stuff, so I value all opinions..

Apparently Diesel is preferred for Italians (good to think about in terms of resale value) so the dealer advised me the Diesel option and just told me to do a longer trip once per week.

Could you tell me why you prefer the fixed over the sliding? Think the total difference is 400 EUR, so split over 3 years it’s not major, but interesting to hear if it’s more beautiful to look at..

I have decided for the 21”. Think it’s a good fit!

Yeah, I heard about the ambient lighting, and I am sure I would probably not use it either, but with price in mind it’s such a small thing, so I think I will keep it.

I did decide for now to remove the Surround Camera, but I could remove the Ionizer, Ambient Lighting and change to Fixed Pano Roof to use these saved coins to upgrade to the Surround Camera, if it’s great. What is your take?

Actually I am doing the HSE package, so I will get the extended leather. Was not a lot more than the SE with the leasing!

// Ras

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:01 pm

I prefer the fixed roof because it’s just one slab of glass, the sliding one is split into two pieces, so aesthetically the fixed one looks soo much cleaner and a lot better
And for my usecase even in my older cars I never openned the Sunroof, but your usecase might be different

I forgot the price of configurable lighting, for that cost I guess it’s better to just get it

I personally would not buy the car without surround camera, I find it very useful
The surround camera also gives you a lot of camera view options

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Barachus wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:01 pm
I prefer the fixed roof because it’s just one slab of glass, the sliding one is split into two pieces, so aesthetically the fixed one looks soo much cleaner and a lot better
And for my usecase even in my older cars I never openned the Sunroof, but your usecase might be different

I forgot the price of configurable lighting, for that cost I guess it’s better to just get it

I personally would not buy the car without surround camera, I find it very useful
The surround camera also gives you a lot of camera view options
Great answers!

So I am adding the Surround Camera again and changing to a fixed Pano Roof. For me I guess the most important is the looks of it plus the light it gives in the cabin. I get both with the fixed. Would also be worried to get all kinds of things in, it I opened it anyway.

Maybe I can negotiate with the dealer to give me the Surround Camera now that I move to a fixed Pano Roof, although the difference in price is 400 EUR.

Other good recommendations Barachus?

Pasey25

Post by Pasey25 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I would also choose the camera over the roof if I had to choose between them

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Here’s my tuppence worth....

I have the pano sliding roof. It’s true that it includes the cross-frame. It cannot be seen from outside the car since the whole roof exterior is black. From within, it can only be seen by the rear passengers. I never notice it, even when I sit in the back. Choosing the pano roof (whether fixed or opening) is a good call - it really makes a difference to the cabin for rear occupants on a car that, because of the stylish high window line, can otherwise be claustrophobic. Especially if you choose the black interior.

I like the pano opening roof and have just driven home with it open this afternoon from walking in the Scottish Borders on a sunny afternoon. I chose it because it’s only a few hundred pounds extra and I felt it would be worthwhile. It has been. However, a couple of points that may help you with your decision. First, during the hot Italian Summer, I wouldn’t use it (we didn’t when we stayed above Argegno, Lago di Como). Secondly, above 50mph any opening sunroof is noisy. So I enjoy it when poodling along on a recreational trip and I am in no hurry.

Oh, and one more thing about the sunroof. The front line of the pano roof is behind the eye-line of the driver. That’s probably no bad thing as it might be distracting otherwise. But it means that it’s really the rear passengers that benefit from this. When the sliding section is open, everyone benefits but don’t imagine the front passengers will notice any cabriolet type feeling. The opening section isn’t huge. Would I still get it? Yes I would, for sure. But it’s a personal thing. Possibly better suited to the U.K. climate than the hot Mediterranean weather you will have (and I would prefer!).

I have the ambient lighting option and love it. We change it every Autumn when the nights draw in and choose a different colour for the winter season. Makes the cabin feel a bit more special each year and is prettier than the standard white illumination unless you switch to Sport when all of the cabins turn red, whether you have this option or not.

The D300 engine is the sweet-spot if you have the money. Almost all the magazines concur and I think they are right. It’s effortless with huge low down torque, quiet and delivers good economy. It will have you back on the right side of those tricky Italian roads in no time at all. The 4-pot diesels are good, really they are. But they are not as refined. They have sufficient punch, especially the D240 and above but the delivery is not as smooth. If it wasn’t for euro emission taxes then these luxury SUVs would all have 6cyl engines. The petrols are great but don’t possess the 700Nm of torque. But, if you’re really keen on driving quite hard on twisty roads, the big diesel is more nose-heavy than the others because the engine unit weighs more. It’s noticeable on turn-in compared to the smaller and lighter 4-pot units but the car still handles really well for a big SUV and there’s no need to concentrate on the road ahead as when one drives many top-heavy, wallowing SUVs.

By choosing black rims on 20” wheels, the car will look okay. But the 21” rims are certainly better looking. If you have air suspension then this combination will be fine. But if you run 21” rims on standard springs then make sure you’re happy with the ride comfort before finalising the build of your car. Of course, 20” comes with a higher profile tyre sidewall. So you‘ll need to be a little careful of your larger rims for fear of scuffing them. Any serious off roading is tricky if there are rocks around with the bigger rims.

When choosing the leather interior pack, ensure that you know what you’re getting. There were two packs when we bought our car. Extended and the Full Leather Pack. Only the more expensive one (full) wraps the top of the dashboard and door roll tops in leather. This pack also upgrades the centre of the steering wheel so it looks and feels more plush.

One final thing that’s fairly inexpensive but can make the interior feel quite special is the customised door finisher inserts. The silver is okay but there are some nice options that may set your cabin off better?

Oh, and after you have the car, order your piano black cup holder cover from this site. It looks exactly like the original fit and finish and is so, so much better than leaving it open.

Enjoy. We love Italy but I do find driving in Italy so stressful. Folk overtaking on blind bends on the roads in the mountains and descending down to the lakes, the speed limit seems optional, stopping at Stop Signs is discretionary for fear of being rear-ended, there’s an easy approach to any minor dings and the road design is ........ organic, I think that’s the word I am searching for! Pass across to Switzerland and the road design is so, so different. But what a fabulous country, lovely expressive people, superb fashion and great culture.

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Great advice as ever Arianne!

Only thing I’d add is re the wheel size. I have 21’s on coils and the ride is very good considering the tyre profile. Mine has the adaptive dampers (standard on all Velar’s with air or coils for MY19 but think this changed/was changed?) so maybe that makes a difference. If it’s put into Dynamic mode the car is less prone to body roll and feels firmer.

Given the choice to spec the car (it was a low mileage ex LR managment car) I would have added air suspension over any other options as it’s not standard on the 4 cylinder diesels.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.