Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
DAVENN

Re: Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

Post by DAVENN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm

I'd consider dropping down an engine "size" and fit a decent tuning box.
I have one for mine and will fit...once I've binned LV who are happy for me to remap but not use a tuning box

eh????

I'm running on 21" and I find them to be very comfortable.
Do go for the 360⁰ cameras...i had that on my jag and it's superb.
Velar 250HSE Dynamic . 21" wheels, lots of bells, whistles etc.. Also run an Abarth 595 172bhp.
XF's in the recent past .

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 am

Pasey25 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:04 pm
I would also choose the camera over the roof if I had to choose between them
I decided to go with both.. ;-)

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Arianne wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Here’s my tuppence worth....

I have the pano sliding roof. It’s true that it includes the cross-frame. It cannot be seen from outside the car since the whole roof exterior is black. From within, it can only be seen by the rear passengers. I never notice it, even when I sit in the back. Choosing the pano roof (whether fixed or opening) is a good call - it really makes a difference to the cabin for rear occupants on a car that, because of the stylish high window line, can otherwise be claustrophobic. Especially if you choose the black interior.

I like the pano opening roof and have just driven home with it open this afternoon from walking in the Scottish Borders on a sunny afternoon. I chose it because it’s only a few hundred pounds extra and I felt it would be worthwhile. It has been. However, a couple of points that may help you with your decision. First, during the hot Italian Summer, I wouldn’t use it (we didn’t when we stayed above Argegno, Lago di Como). Secondly, above 50mph any opening sunroof is noisy. So I enjoy it when poodling along on a recreational trip and I am in no hurry.

Oh, and one more thing about the sunroof. The front line of the pano roof is behind the eye-line of the driver. That’s probably no bad thing as it might be distracting otherwise. But it means that it’s really the rear passengers that benefit from this. When the sliding section is open, everyone benefits but don’t imagine the front passengers will notice any cabriolet type feeling. The opening section isn’t huge. Would I still get it? Yes I would, for sure. But it’s a personal thing. Possibly better suited to the U.K. climate than the hot Mediterranean weather you will have (and I would prefer!).

I have the ambient lighting option and love it. We change it every Autumn when the nights draw in and choose a different colour for the winter season. Makes the cabin feel a bit more special each year and is prettier than the standard white illumination unless you switch to Sport when all of the cabins turn red, whether you have this option or not.

The D300 engine is the sweet-spot if you have the money. Almost all the magazines concur and I think they are right. It’s effortless with huge low down torque, quiet and delivers good economy. It will have you back on the right side of those tricky Italian roads in no time at all. The 4-pot diesels are good, really they are. But they are not as refined. They have sufficient punch, especially the D240 and above but the delivery is not as smooth. If it wasn’t for euro emission taxes then these luxury SUVs would all have 6cyl engines. The petrols are great but don’t possess the 700Nm of torque. But, if you’re really keen on driving quite hard on twisty roads, the big diesel is more nose-heavy than the others because the engine unit weighs more. It’s noticeable on turn-in compared to the smaller and lighter 4-pot units but the car still handles really well for a big SUV and there’s no need to concentrate on the road ahead as when one drives many top-heavy, wallowing SUVs.

By choosing black rims on 20” wheels, the car will look okay. But the 21” rims are certainly better looking. If you have air suspension then this combination will be fine. But if you run 21” rims on standard springs then make sure you’re happy with the ride comfort before finalising the build of your car. Of course, 20” comes with a higher profile tyre sidewall. So you‘ll need to be a little careful of your larger rims for fear of scuffing them. Any serious off roading is tricky if there are rocks around with the bigger rims.

When choosing the leather interior pack, ensure that you know what you’re getting. There were two packs when we bought our car. Extended and the Full Leather Pack. Only the more expensive one (full) wraps the top of the dashboard and door roll tops in leather. This pack also upgrades the centre of the steering wheel so it looks and feels more plush.

One final thing that’s fairly inexpensive but can make the interior feel quite special is the customised door finisher inserts. The silver is okay but there are some nice options that may set your cabin off better?

Oh, and after you have the car, order your piano black cup holder cover from this site. It looks exactly like the original fit and finish and is so, so much better than leaving it open.

Enjoy. We love Italy but I do find driving in Italy so stressful. Folk overtaking on blind bends on the roads in the mountains and descending down to the lakes, the speed limit seems optional, stopping at Stop Signs is discretionary for fear of being rear-ended, there’s an easy approach to any minor dings and the road design is ........ organic, I think that’s the word I am searching for! Pass across to Switzerland and the road design is so, so different. But what a fabulous country, lovely expressive people, superb fashion and great culture.

Best wishes, Arianne
Dear Arianne,

Wow, wonderful reply. Thank you so much.

I have decided to go with all black interior (as I think it enhances the luxury feeling and also I have a kid on the way - and I hate cleaning :-D..
Also I think the fixed pano roof makes more sense in my case, as it would for me mostly be for the look of it plus the light in the cabin.

For sure I have gone ahead with the Ambient Lighting as well. I like the idea of changing the colour once in a while. Cool idea changing the colour depending on the season.

Yeah, regarding the engine.. seems to be the only "issue" I have left before the final decision to order the car.
The D240 is a good option for me, since I am not after huge speed, but more the comfort of the car. My main issue is not really the fact that it's a bit more, but more the fact that in Italy the D300 would require a super tax of 1.500 EUR extra per year, while the D240 does not require any additional. In terms of taxes and insurance of the D300 vs D240, we are talking a total amount extra of 2.000 EUR.
Air suspension is a must for me, so I have chosen that on any configuration I have done.

21" is a must for me. I am not willing to risk either the rims or the comfort of the ride by upgrading to 22".
I don't think I want to dig too deep to go with the Full Extended, but I have chosen the Extended Leather.

Well, I agree it can be a bit crazy to drive here, but I am also used to travel to remote places, where they drive much worse. I do live in the northern part, where they don't drive like sh** like in the south.. :-D

Would you say it's worth it to pay 3.000 EUR more for the HSE package vs the SE? I have made the exact same options in the SE package except of course of the seats (In the SE I just go with 14 way), but with 20 way I go with of course seat ventilation and heating plus the windsor leather.

Thanks, Arianne!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 pm

DAVENN wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm
I'd consider dropping down an engine "size" and fit a decent tuning box.
I have one for mine and will fit...once I've binned LV who are happy for me to remap but not use a tuning box

eh????

I'm running on 21" and I find them to be very comfortable.
Do go for the 360⁰ cameras...i had that on my jag and it's superb.
Thanks, DAVENN!

I am not much into tuning and pretty much can't/won't do any work on the car myself.
However it sounds like a brilliant idea!

I will also go ahead with 21". I think it's the sweet spot.
Camera has been chosen!

Thanks again!

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Might be a minor issue to some, but I think the visual effect of the twin exhausts of the larger engine look much better than the non exhaust ones
Though at 2k euro extra tax a year, its probably not worth that much for an aesthetic effect
Air sus and 360 camera like you have picked are a must

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Barachus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Might be a minor issue to some, but I think the visual effect of the twin exhausts of the larger engine look much better than the non exhaust ones
Though at 2k euro extra tax a year, its probably not worth that much for an aesthetic effect
Air sus and 360 camera like you have picked are a must
Hi Barachus,

Thanks for your message! Yeah exactly, I also like the twin exhaust, but that plus the extra power and a V6 for around 1.750-2.000 EUR extra per year (the extra tax, insurance and normal tax) is not too bad, but still a significant amount, when the D240 is also a good option.

Do you have an opinion on the SE vs HSE (all options are the same, except for the 20 way seats with seat ventilation and heating + windsor leather, which is included in the HSE). 3.000 EUR extra in total. I know the Windsor Leather itself is usually 6.000 EUR more.

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:17 pm

Is that the only difference in SE and HSE?
I thought it also included extended leather, Windsor, drive pack, heated and cooled seats as well?

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Barachus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:17 pm
I thought it also included extended leather, Windsor, drive pack, heated and cooled seats as well?
I added the extended leather etc. in the SE package, so at the end the only difference between the SE and HSE is, that HSE have the 20 way massage seats with seat heating and ventilation + the windor leather. The SE I only have the 14 way seats (no massage, heating, ventilation), but I did spec the extended leather.

I think I will go with the HSE, now there only remains to find out, whether I should do the D240 HSE or the D300 HSE.. tough decision!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Honestly, with that tax surcharge every year, I would probably settle for the D240. I’ve driven this variant as a courtesy car for several days and it’s fine. Here’s the thing.... if that surcharge was a one-off front loaded payment then I would take the D300 and the financial hit. Once it’s paid I would quickly forget about it but enjoy the V6 forever more.

However, if the tax surcharge is every year and of that magnitude (am I reading that right as it’s eye watering) then the cost would be like an open wound for me. It would take the shine from my V6 joy. Having driven both and as good as the D300 is (and it really is), it ain’t worth €2,000 p.a., for sure! And I own one, so this is an honest opinion.

Instead, I would enjoy the perfectly good and peppy D240, telling myself that I have a more agile Velar on turn-in cornering, it’s more frugal and I’ve saved a pile of cash every year.

Now for that rear integrated twin exhaust. ‘tis true what has been said. The V6 rear end is drop-dead gorgeous. Maybe not €2,000 p.a. gorgeous. If you are buying your Velar then you can have the pretty integrated exhaust retrofitted as I have seen the kit on eBay and it seems straightforward. If the car is on a lease or even PCP deal then I don’t think this modification would be permitted.

Having said all that, if you’re going for the black pack then the back end bits are not so pronounced. It depends if this is a showstopper for you.

It wouldn’t be for me. You have a well specced and carefully considered Velar there. You’ll enjoy it. I know I would. Your decision about the 21” rims and air suspension are spot on. I have this and the ride is fine. You’ll also get that menacing slammed look when the car drops down on its suspension when you park up and your passengers open their doors. The car drops for ease of access / exit nd stays that way, if you choose the option in the settings.

All told..... go D240, stick with your options. You have found the sweet spot. Enjoy - shouldn’t be hard!

Regards, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 pm

RasTreviso wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Barachus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:17 pm
I added the extended leather etc. in the SE package, so at the end the only difference between the SE and HSE is, that HSE have the 20 way massage seats with seat heating and ventilation + the windor leather. The SE I only have the 14 way seats (no massage, heating, ventilation), but I did spec the extended leather.

I think I will go with the HSE, now there only remains to find out, whether I should do the D240 HSE or the D300 HSE.. tough decision!
HSE also has the Surround Meridien audio which is pretty awesome !
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.