Re: Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

Post by RasTreviso » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Simonh wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 pm
RasTreviso wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Barachus wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:17 pm
Is that the only difference in SE and HSE?
I thought it also included extended leather, Windsor, drive pack, heated and cooled seats as well?
I added the extended leather etc. in the SE package, so at the end the only difference between the SE and HSE is, that HSE have the 20 way massage seats with seat heating and ventilation + the windor leather. The SE I only have the 14 way seats (no massage, heating, ventilation), but I did spec the extended leather.

I think I will go with the HSE, now there only remains to find out, whether I should do the D240 HSE or the D300 HSE.. tough decision!
HSE also has the Surround Meridien audio which is pretty awesome !
Yeah, usually I am used to BOSE, so I am not familiar with the Meridian system, but heard it's good!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Arianne wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm
Honestly, with that tax surcharge every year, I would probably settle for the D240. I’ve driven this variant as a courtesy car for several days and it’s fine. Here’s the thing.... if that surcharge was a one-off front loaded payment then I would take the D300 and the financial hit. Once it’s paid I would quickly forget about it but enjoy the V6 forever more.

However, if the tax surcharge is every year and of that magnitude (am I reading that right as it’s eye watering) then the cost would be like an open wound for me. It would take the shine from my V6 joy. Having driven both and as good as the D300 is (and it really is), it ain’t worth €2,000 p.a., for sure! And I own one, so this is an honest opinion.

Instead, I would enjoy the perfectly good and peppy D240, telling myself that I have a more agile Velar on turn-in cornering, it’s more frugal and I’ve saved a pile of cash every year.

Now for that rear integrated twin exhaust. ‘tis true what has been said. The V6 rear end is drop-dead gorgeous. Maybe not €2,000 p.a. gorgeous. If you are buying your Velar then you can have the pretty integrated exhaust retrofitted as I have seen the kit on eBay and it seems straightforward. If the car is on a lease or even PCP deal then I don’t think this modification would be permitted.

Having said all that, if you’re going for the black pack then the back end bits are not so pronounced. It depends if this is a showstopper for you.

It wouldn’t be for me. You have a well specced and carefully considered Velar there. You’ll enjoy it. I know I would. Your decision about the 21” rims and air suspension are spot on. I have this and the ride is fine. You’ll also get that menacing slammed look when the car drops down on its suspension when you park up and your passengers open their doors. The car drops for ease of access / exit nd stays that way, if you choose the option in the settings.

All told..... go D240, stick with your options. You have found the sweet spot. Enjoy - shouldn’t be hard!

Regards, Arianne
Thanks again, Arianne. I really enjoy your answers.
Actually I have noticed your quality replies when scrolling through the forum since I found it - you clarified many things for me, so thank you!

I know, the D240 is also great and I heard it's a newer engine (which has it's plusses and minuses).. the thing is, when you buy a Range Rover (of any kind), do you need it to be "fine" or "awesome".. Why can't I let go of the though about the D300 and the V6? I mean I do get both the extra horse power and torque, an overall better engine and the twin exhaust. I have calculated that over the course of 36 months (3 years), the total extra amount of the monthly payments, insurance, normal car tax and the super car tax (for all cars over 250HP in Italy), it will be 6.600 EURO more. So 2.200 EUR extra per year. It's a significant amount of money, however if the experience in the D300 is superior to the D240 in a way where you can really feel (and see it), then it might be worth to consider.

I am not very handy and I don't have the guts to work on a car, so fitting the exhaust myself is not something, that I am going to jump into.
Now there is just left to find out, whether I should give up another 6.600 EUR on a 3 year basis. I do feel like that I would be able to get around 5.000 EURO more for the D300 at the end of the day, so the extra price at the end of the day might be covered more or less by this.

I have finalised my build now with the options I want, and here it goes.
Range Rover Velar D240/D300 HSE (R-Dynamic):

Yulong White
Privacy Glass
21" Style 1033 (Gloss Black)
Black Contrast Roof
Fixed Panorama Roof
Black Pack R-Dynamic
20-Way Seats (Seat Heating, Seat Ventilation, Massage) + Windsor Leather (Extended)
Grand Black Inserts
Heated Steering Wheel
Driver Assist Pack
Configurable Dynamics
Ionizer
Ambient Lighting

--

Do you by any chance know, if there are any options I have to spec in order to fit a child seat on the back?

Many thanks, Arianne!

Matty

Post by Matty » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Meridian system is nothing like a Bose system. If you like Bose you might not like Meridian.
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:47 pm

ISO Fix points in the back for child seats are standard on most cars including Velar.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Matty wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:11 pm
Meridian system is nothing like a Bose system. If you like Bose you might not like Meridian.
I don’t expect it to be the same, but a decent sound would be nice of course.. what is your opinion on the Surround Meridian, Matty?

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Simonh wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:47 pm
ISO Fix points in the back for child seats are standard on most cars including Velar.
It seems to be an option when building the car though. You have to check the ISOFIX base + the child seat, it seems!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi RasTreviso,

Thank you for your kind words.

You make an interesting point about choosing a Velar. It’s never a decision that your accountant is going to approve. It’s a heart over head decision and, in all truth, that’s part of the joy. If we were choosing our cars with our heads then I would be driving the ‘White Goods’ that is Kia. Churned out by the bucketload, perfectly acceptable mode of transport but no soul or character.

So ultimately this boils down to budget and how much financial firepower you’re prepared to splurge on your heart’s desire.

The D300 is the engine for this car and it comes with the pretty rear-end too. But that’s some financial premium in Italy. I could rationalise this decision either way. Blow the budget and get it perfect, get it right and indulge myself because I deserve it. Or, have the D240 and know that I have a perfectly good combination, slightly more agility when cornering, almost no difference unless I choose to floor it, pedal to the metal and I’ve saved a packet of cash.

The cash is only important if you know what else you will do with it - now or later. Does any of your options for €2,000 p.a. Being spent or saved attract you more than pumping it into your Velar D300?

A local body shop could retrofit the rear exhaust kit and I think they include a video on the site which shows it’s quite straightforward.

When we bought our Velar, I wanted it to be ‘just right’. It was an indulgence and I still enjoy her now, every time we jump in. The lad’s Merc SLC is the same - even the dealer stated that they didn’t see many tailored and carefully optioned cars like his get delivered these days. It’s how we are I guess.

The question is about you. Will you hanker after the D300? Will you look at the rear end and always think about what it should have been for you? If that’s the case then your big investment will be soured somewhat. Or will you move on and be happy with a decision for the D240 - still a very fine car indeed.

In my position, I need to strike a fine balance. The annual tax charge would be a running sore for me. I am 55 and so I would prefer to pop that into my AVC pot and pick up the 40% UK income tax rebate into my AVC pension pot for happy times ahead. But then some would say the investment in the Velar itself is far from a wise choice financially and they would be right. But it’s a balancing act. So I would take the D240 if I lived in Italy.

Your circumstances are different. Only you can know.

On the IsoFix question....l. the lad’s 28 now so he’s out of the child seats. I’m not the expert on IsoFix but I can tell you the Meridian Sound System is a truly fabulous soundstage if you enjoy authentic, perfectly reproduced music from a high quality music file like FLAC uncompressed files. I have written about this elsewhere. If you like thumping bass then this isn’t the system for you. As the previous post stated, they are quite different - Bose and Meridian. It just depends upon your preference.

All the best with your decision. A nice dilemma to have.

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:27 am

This has been a really interesting thread to follow and I echo the comments made about Arianne’s well crafted replies and sage advice.

In Yorkshire we have a phrase; “I can’t thoil it”, which means I can afford it but can’t bear to spend the money if the perceived value is poor. Using this philosophy, taking a hard-headed practical approach is likely to bring you to the conclusion that the extra annual tax is not good value, particularly when judged against more effective uses for that money such as the tax efficient AVC suggestion by Arianne.

Your’s is truly a heart -v- head decision. Does the perceived value of money saved outweigh the value of the feeling you might experience knowing you went for the bigger engine?

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:21 pm

The rear has IsoFix mounting points. The base and child seat you’d of course pay extra for.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Just another thought to throw into the mix. It’s not going to be many years before we’re all driving electric vehicles in some shape or form. Is it time to fill your boots with a beast of engine now while you still can? It kind of defeats the objective of the tax and it’s not very ‘woke’ but the rebel in me says go for it 😂