Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Re: Range Rover Velar - Before buying/leasing

Post by Arianne » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:18 pm

HarryR wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:52 pm
Just another thought to throw into the mix. It’s not going to be many years before we’re all driving electric vehicles in some shape or form. Is it time to fill your boots with a beast of engine now while you still can? It kind of defeats the objective of the tax and it’s not very ‘woke’ but the rebel in me says go for it 😂
Good point, well made. I will admit that this thought was somewhere in my own mind when I had the opportunity to choose our current car. It’s the first, and may be possibly the last, 6cyl V6 engine I may own.

FWIW, I received this email below from Shell last week. Eases my conscience ever so slightly...

Arianne

5BBFFA11-7AAF-4C24-A2CD-1DD8157BBB66.jpeg

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:02 pm

HarryR wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:52 pm
Just another thought to throw into the mix. It’s not going to be many years before we’re all driving electric vehicles in some shape or form. Is it time to fill your boots with a beast of engine now while you still can? It kind of defeats the objective of the tax and it’s not very ‘woke’ but the rebel in me says go for it 😂
I know right.. :lol:
I think now might be the time to go for the D300. After all, I could easily spend some (if not all) of the 6.600 EUR (that I spend extra over 3 years on the D300) on more stupid things, so it might be wort it!

I am heavily leaning towards the D300 - as the heart will make the decision over the head in this case.

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Simonh wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:21 pm
The rear has IsoFix mounting points. The base and child seat you’d of course pay extra for.
Thanks for clarifying, Simonh!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 pm

HarryR wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:27 am
This has been a really interesting thread to follow and I echo the comments made about Arianne’s well crafted replies and sage advice.

In Yorkshire we have a phrase; “I can’t thoil it”, which means I can afford it but can’t bear to spend the money if the perceived value is poor. Using this philosophy, taking a hard-headed practical approach is likely to bring you to the conclusion that the extra annual tax is not good value, particularly when judged against more effective uses for that money such as the tax efficient AVC suggestion by Arianne.

Your’s is truly a heart -v- head decision. Does the perceived value of money saved outweigh the value of the feeling you might experience knowing you went for the bigger engine?

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Thanks for your wise words!
I definitely do agree with you. If this was a "head" decision, which I don't think anyone would think that it is, then the D240 definitely is the best option. It saves me a chunk of cash over 3 years, however I am scared that I will be dreaming about the D300 - overall the 6.600 EUR amounts to just 2.200 EUR per year over 3 years, so it's not that it's a huge amount - but still..

What a dilemma!

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Arianne wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 pm
Hi RasTreviso,

Thank you for your kind words.

You make an interesting point about choosing a Velar. It’s never a decision that your accountant is going to approve. It’s a heart over head decision and, in all truth, that’s part of the joy. If we were choosing our cars with our heads then I would be driving the ‘White Goods’ that is Kia. Churned out by the bucketload, perfectly acceptable mode of transport but no soul or character.

So ultimately this boils down to budget and how much financial firepower you’re prepared to splurge on your heart’s desire.

The D300 is the engine for this car and it comes with the pretty rear-end too. But that’s some financial premium in Italy. I could rationalise this decision either way. Blow the budget and get it perfect, get it right and indulge myself because I deserve it. Or, have the D240 and know that I have a perfectly good combination, slightly more agility when cornering, almost no difference unless I choose to floor it, pedal to the metal and I’ve saved a packet of cash.

The cash is only important if you know what else you will do with it - now or later. Does any of your options for €2,000 p.a. Being spent or saved attract you more than pumping it into your Velar D300?

A local body shop could retrofit the rear exhaust kit and I think they include a video on the site which shows it’s quite straightforward.

When we bought our Velar, I wanted it to be ‘just right’. It was an indulgence and I still enjoy her now, every time we jump in. The lad’s Merc SLC is the same - even the dealer stated that they didn’t see many tailored and carefully optioned cars like his get delivered these days. It’s how we are I guess.

The question is about you. Will you hanker after the D300? Will you look at the rear end and always think about what it should have been for you? If that’s the case then your big investment will be soured somewhat. Or will you move on and be happy with a decision for the D240 - still a very fine car indeed.

In my position, I need to strike a fine balance. The annual tax charge would be a running sore for me. I am 55 and so I would prefer to pop that into my AVC pot and pick up the 40% UK income tax rebate into my AVC pension pot for happy times ahead. But then some would say the investment in the Velar itself is far from a wise choice financially and they would be right. But it’s a balancing act. So I would take the D240 if I lived in Italy.

Your circumstances are different. Only you can know.

On the IsoFix question....l. the lad’s 28 now so he’s out of the child seats. I’m not the expert on IsoFix but I can tell you the Meridian Sound System is a truly fabulous soundstage if you enjoy authentic, perfectly reproduced music from a high quality music file like FLAC uncompressed files. I have written about this elsewhere. If you like thumping bass then this isn’t the system for you. As the previous post stated, they are quite different - Bose and Meridian. It just depends upon your preference.

All the best with your decision. A nice dilemma to have.

Best wishes, Arianne
Hi Arianne,

Always a pleasure to read your replies.
Just returned from a few days at the beach - still not any wiser on my final decision. I did get to the conclusion, that I would like to receive the car in January 2021 (so first registration is in 2021), so I do still have 1-2 months before I have to order the car.

As you said, the Velar is a decision you have to make with your heart - not looking too much at the bank account.

Over the last few days I am leaning more towards the D300 - even though it's 6.600 EUR more over 3 years. But I do get the dual exhaust, the extra torque and most importantly a V6, which I do ultimately believe is the right one for a Range Rover.

I am not huge on spending money in general, but I am sure the 6.600 EUR (or at least a huge part of it) would be spend on too much wine, pizza and pasta here in this wonderful country, which makes me think that it's better I pump it into the D300 - :lol: ..

When I build a car - exactly like you say - I do prefer to get the perfect car. Not compromising too much. I am sure that I would be happy with whatever decision between the D240 and the D300. I would be even happier with the D300, while the lady would appreciate the D240 - as it saves cash.. :lol:

I can't believe how many headaches this dilemma is giving me, but I need to make a choice - and you never want to make the wrong one. I am young (at least at 27 years old that's what I am telling myself) - too young to think too much about pension of the future yet - more into the spirit of living the life - but in a responsible way - especially economically.

Well, I do mostly listen to Spotify and I do like some bass for my hiphop/rap music, which BOSE for sure supports - but Meridian should also provide a decent sound - I hope!

Again, many thanks and any extra recommendations you can give will be much appreciated.

PS. What is your opinion on the Full Extended Leather? It's more than 2.200 EUR extra I see. Is it really necessary?

Thanks, Arianne!

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm

RasTreviso, I'm not sure if you said whether you are buying the car outright or buying it as a PCP arrangement?

When I bought mine the difference in monthly payments on PCP between a HSE D240 and HSE D300 was negligible (in fact it may have been slightly less for the D300) due to the huge difference in residual value. This was with the same deposit and ensuring that both cars would otherwise be the same in terms of adding the extra bits that come with the D300 on to the D240. Taking into account the expected additional fuel costs, insurance, etc. the D240 would have been marginally cheaper overall, but it was a trivial and easily forgivable amount each year (about a couple of £00s if I recall).

The other advantage I saw with the D300 and PCP was that if the 300hp V6 become something one would be burnt at the stake for owning, it would be JLR doing the torch impression not me after I handed it back. :shock: :lol:

So far my family and I have really enjoyed the Velar (about 20,000 miles).

Jim
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:57 am

Jim55 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:53 pm
RasTreviso, I'm not sure if you said whether you are buying the car outright or buying it as a PCP arrangement?

When I bought mine the difference in monthly payments on PCP between a HSE D240 and HSE D300 was negligible (in fact it may have been slightly less for the D300) due to the huge difference in residual value. This was with the same deposit and ensuring that both cars would otherwise be the same in terms of adding the extra bits that come with the D300 on to the D240. Taking into account the expected additional fuel costs, insurance, etc. the D240 would have been marginally cheaper overall, but it was a trivial and easily forgivable amount each year (about a couple of £00s if I recall).

The other advantage I saw with the D300 and PCP was that if the 300hp V6 become something one would be burnt at the stake for owning, it would be JLR doing the torch impression not me after I handed it back. :shock: :lol:

So far my family and I have really enjoyed the Velar (about 20,000 miles).

Jim
Dear Jim,

Thanks again for your kind assistance to this matter!
Well, I do "buy" it as a PCP arrangement, I guess. In Italy it's called "FREEDOM", and it's basically like a leasing, where I will have an amount to pay after 3 years, if I want to own the car, however during the 3 years (in opposition to "LEASING"), I will actually be the owner of the car in papers etc.
I do plan to buy the rest of the car after 3 years, and then sell it for more than the residual value was. Let's say I have to buy the rest for 42.000 EUR after 3 years, I can probably still get 55.000 EUR for it.

Unfortunately there is a slight difference in price here. It's about 55 EUR more per month for the D300. This is not something that scares me. It's the "SUPER BOLLO" in Italy, which is a tax for cars over 250HP. For this car it's an additional 1.310 EUR per year. The residual value of the cars after 3 years is only a difference of 1.500 EUR.
It will also be much easier - probably - to sell the D240 than the D300, due to the above tax and the market for the D240 here.

There is no doubt, that I would prefer the D300.

I am so happy to hear, that you and your family loves the Velar. This means a lot before making such a commitment, as an "expensive" car like this is.
I guess I just have to make the final decision now. Everything else has been settled from deposit to monthly rent and insurance.

Enjoy your weekend, Jim! :)