Range Rover Extended Manufacturer's Warranty

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Range Rover Extended Manufacturer's Warranty

Post by Arianne » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:22 pm

Hello folks,

This is a split from an earlier thread about my Velar's third anniversary in September. The manufacturer's warranty expires and I am not brave enough to run one of these exec SUV's without extended warranty.

One option would be to buy the warranty from a third party supplier. It might be cheaper, probably would be. However, my research has resulted in my being bewildered by the fine print and I have found myself being subjected to several follow-up cold calls from sales people who display all of the bad characteristics associated with these things - the sound of scores of other sales people as background noise on the call (my initial enquiries pre-dated Covid-19 suppression measures), a laddish / ladette engagement style and very little product knowledge or finesse. This is not why I bought a Range Rover.

So, even though it may be more expensive and arguably perhaps not even the best technical extended warranty in the marketplace, I have bought the product from my dealer.

What a contrast. I made a call to my Service Advisor who is a nice lady. She sent me an email the next day with a quotation and the T&Cs. I called her back today and we did the paperwork over the telephone. Within the hour I received a further email from Land Rover confirming the cover etc. That's it. And that's the experience I want.

Another important issue that swung it for me is the fact that the dealer handles all of the warranty claims and I don't need to worry. It's not that simple with a third party supplier. Again, I want the post-third anniversary ownership experience to be as close to the first three years as possible and I am prepared to pay a modest premium for it.

Cost? They only offer 12mths cover at a time. £790 for the year or £79 per month by direct debit across ten months. There's an option to add Land Rover Assistance and that takes the annual premium up to £940.

Can you negotiate? Are prices different from alternative dealers? Don't know as I didn't check, too busy, like my dealer etc. You might want to try if that's your thing.

That's done and dusted then. I've attached the booklet so you can read the detail. I didn't get offered the inferior Select cover, only the full Extended warranty so make sure you read the correct section.

There's one more element that I need to conclude - my five year service pack. My dealer is checking whether it was set for 80,000 or 50,000 miles. If it's the latter then this will be my last service because I have 38k on the clock and will probably cover about 15,000 miles next year. Let's see what they say....

Hope this helps others. Best wishes, Arianne.
20200729_policy-document.pdf
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Gogsy

Re: Range Rover Extended Manufacturer's Warranty

Post by Gogsy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 am

I had the 5year plan on my previous freelander and it was 50k miles. I know now as at the service it was at 53k miles and they wouldn’t cover it lol.
2018 Firenze Red D240 SE

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:40 pm

Looks like the 'select' warranty does not cover the balancer shaft, which is a known issue on the Ingenium engines!
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20B

Craigc

Post by Craigc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 pm

Be careful with Landrover Extended Warranty, it is NOT a Landrover product. It is run and administered by Car Care, and they Do not cover known manufacturing faults, This is why I changed my D4, at 3 years and only 15k with the worry of not covering crank shaft issues, I decided to change rather than risking it on extended warranty. Having had a battle with them on my D3. Can elaborate if anyone requires
275 HSE R Dynamic Silicon Silver

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

Craigc wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 pm
Be careful with Landrover Extended Warranty, it is NOT a Landrover product. It is run and administered by Car Care, and they Do not cover known manufacturing faults, This is why I changed my D4, at 3 years and only 15k with the worry of not covering crank shaft issues, I decided to change rather than risking it on extended warranty. Having had a battle with them on my D3. Can elaborate if anyone requires
Indeed, all such warranties are inferior to the manufacturer’s product. The question is by how much. FWIW, the booklet attached shows that this product does seem to cover crankshaft issues. Unless, of course, you had similar wording but they tried to wriggle out of it? In which case, I would like to take you up on your offer to elaborate as it might prove helpful?

Arianne

6497C7FC-6236-4B3A-A9B3-77E850AD089B.jpeg

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Nowaytk

Post by Nowaytk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:39 am

When I had my sport (same engine) and came to the end of the manufacturer’s warranty, I decided the best course was to keep with the full extended warranty as it did say it covered the crank, plus all the other benefits of assist etc. About a 3 months into the extended warranty I was unfortunately affected by the dreaded crank issue, with it snapping the crank. To Make things complicated I had already ordered the velar and was due to collect two weeks later 🙄, it did take some time (about 3 weeks) for the dealership to confirm it was covered under the warranty as they (guided by LR) had to carry out various tests, stripping different parts etc to confirm nothing had been tampered with etc (their get out clause I assume) but all good in the end 👍🏻
300D HSE Dynamic, silicon silver, HUD, heated steering wheel, plus a few more extras :D