Black/Ebony vs Light Oyster vs Light Oyster + Black/Ebony

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
RasTreviso

Black/Ebony vs Light Oyster vs Light Oyster + Black/Ebony

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:52 am

Dear Forum,

I have to be honest. From the beginning I was all set on the Black/Ebony interior.
But now that I see all the car reviews (from experts) and also from "normal people", I see the Light Oyster or Light Oyster + Black/Ebony everywhere.

What to do?

A small one is coming - and while I am not too scared about the seats in regards to this - it's more than normal wear and tear plus the resale value, which might be less with the Light Oyster compared to the Ebony/Black.

Any opinions from you guys?

Thanks a lot!

// Ras

Pollo de muerte

Re: Black/Ebony vs Light Oyster vs Light Oyster + Black/Ebony

Post by Pollo de muerte » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am

The light oyster seats in our vehicle have held up perfectly. We did invest in a tub of Dr. Leather wipes at the suggestion of some on this forum and use that every month on so.
2019 Velar HSE P380

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 am
The light oyster seats in our vehicle have held up perfectly. We did invest in a tub of Dr. Leather wipes at the suggestion of some on this forum and use that every month on so.
Thank you for chipping in!
Happy to hear, that your seats are holding up..

It’s a bit of a dilemma, but definitely good to hear, that they are of a good quality. I will be having the Windsor Leather (as part of the HSE - just like you it seems :) ), so not sure if it makes any difference.

// Ras

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 am

FWIW, we also have the heated and cooled seats, and I don't know if that makes a difference in the construction.

I was leery of these light colored seats, but they are very nice in our hot Florida climate and give the cabin a distinctive look. I'm considering an I-Pace and would get the light oyster seats again.
2019 Velar HSE P380

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 am
FWIW, we also have the heated and cooled seats, and I don't know if that makes a difference in the construction.

I was leery of these light colored seats, but they are very nice in our hot Florida climate and give the cabin a distinctive look. I'm considering an I-Pace and would get the light oyster seats again.
Not sure, but do you know if the wipes can damage something in the electrical departement, in case I go with Light Oyster?

Yeah, the look is also important for me. Need the most luxurious look. After all, Italy is the country of fashion and I am a little behind 😂

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 am

I have the light oyster in my Velar and F-Pace before that. I do occasionally have the grand kids in the back but no issues in keeping the seats clean.

Just don't let any spills or accidents get the opportunity to soak in or harden on the leather, true for whatever colour you decide on.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 am

RasTreviso wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:48 am
Pollo de muerte wrote:

Not sure, but do you know if the wipes can damage something in the electrical departement, in case I go with Light Oyster?

Yeah, the look is also important for me. Need the most luxurious look. After all, Italy is the country of fashion and I am a little behind 😂
The wipes do not leave so much residue behind that they could damage any electronics. I would recommend wearing latex gloves when applying the Dr. Leather wipes as the smell (which isn't unpleasant), will stay on your hands for several hours otherwise.

The main thing to watch for is some blue jeans can color transfer to light leather seats and I've had a leather belt do the same. Just commit to staying on top of it and the seats shouldn't give you a problem.
2019 Velar HSE P380

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Pollo de muerte wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 am
RasTreviso wrote:
Pollo de muerte wrote:

The wipes do not leave so much residue behind that they could damage any electronics. I would recommend wearing latex gloves when applying the Dr. Leather wipes as the smell (which isn't unpleasant), will stay on your hands for several hours otherwise.

The main thing to watch for is some blue jeans can color transfer to light leather seats and I've had a leather belt do the same. Just commit to staying on top of it and the seats shouldn't give you a problem.
Thanks, Pollo!
How long does it approx. take before you safely can use the car again after applying the product?

Many thanks for all your help!

// Ras

RasTreviso

Post by RasTreviso » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Jim55 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 am
I have the light oyster in my Velar and F-Pace before that. I do occasionally have the grand kids in the back but no issues in keeping the seats clean.

Just don't let any spills or accidents get the opportunity to soak in or harden on the leather, true for whatever colour you decide on.
Great, Jim!
Seems like I do not have to worry too much about the colour itself, but more like what I would like to step into and if I have to sell, what would be easier.

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:42 pm

RasTreviso wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 pm
Pollo de muerte wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:38 am
RasTreviso wrote:

Thanks, Pollo!
How long does it approx. take before you safely can use the car again after applying the product?

Many thanks for all your help!

// Ras
Fifteen or twenty minutes. The solution is very light and soaks in quickly.
2019 Velar HSE P380