Change SIM card UK

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Ross-YW

Change SIM card UK

Post by Ross-YW » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 am

Morning all fellow velar lovers

Not posted for a while and hoping for some help please

The car came with 500mb of data on an included sim through UBIGI. I’ve started chunking through this as since an update Spotify is now available in online media. I much prefer this than Apple car play and Bluetooth from my phone

Anyway, long story short....

I’ve ordered a rolling month by month contract data SIM card from part of 3mobile called SMARTY. £10 a month gets 30GB (or £15 for 100GB) data so I won’t get through that and I can let the kids use Wi-Fi in the back now

Has anyone changed over the SIM card and can they let me know if it works without any messing about? I’m assuming it’s like a phone and will just work.

Hoping that the car is not locked to a certain network

Anyone who has changed the sim please get in touch if you could with any hands on experience/feed back

Cheers

Ross
R Dynamic P250 SE

Simonh

Re: Change SIM card UK

Post by Simonh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 am

As long as its been activated its a simple swap put. I had to register mine on myThree and pop the SIM in my phone to receive the SMS's. Once done it worked very well. If you travel abroad (an alien concept these days I know) then make sure roaming is activated. benefit of registering is you can check data usage etc of the SIM. Car is not locked to any network.

Big advantage (only one I see as its very pricey to top up) with the Ubigi SIM is it roams on all UK networks so coverage is much wider than a single operator.

You should be able to use Spotify via Apple CarPlay by the way so not use the car's SIM.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 - Now gone
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Ross-YW

Post by Ross-YW » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:50 am

Thanks simon

Appreciate your quick response. Its a very good point and thanks for the point on registering the sim in a phone itself to get it up and running prior to putting into the car.

I get your point on spotify and apple carplay, but i hate using carplay for some reason and the user interface on spotify carplay vs the JLR spotify app isnt as good so i prefer using the cars own app. Also, the kids keep asking why they cant use the wifi in the car so kills to birds with one stone in my eyes

Thanks again
Ross
R Dynamic P250 SE

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 am

No worries. Makes sense re Spotify, not a user myself and only use Apple Music so CarPlay is always active.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 - Now gone
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Pfalder

Post by Pfalder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 pm

I swap between 2 different sims without any problems once my supplies data runs out (usually incredibly quickly).
Range Rover Velar D300 R Dynamic HSE - Byron Blue - ebony - black pack

Eric35red

Post by Eric35red » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Sorry to appear a little dense when it comes to this subject but this is the first time I've had a car with a sim in. It has just come to the end of the 3 years and is prompting me to do something! We never use the cars wifi due to having the phone so what else does having a Sim actually give you. I live in a remote area and have never been able to start the car remotely due to lack of signal but think this is another add on service from land rover.

Pfalder

Post by Pfalder » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 am

One example for you. When my sim data runs out it limits the Satan’s functionality. When I search for a place, shop or some postcodes, it fails and states data is needed to complete the search.
Range Rover Velar D300 R Dynamic HSE - Byron Blue - ebony - black pack

Pat27

Post by Pat27 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:03 am

Check out ‘ Internet with legs’ it’s on 3 network and you pre pay for a bundle of data I used it in my Velar without any connectivity issues.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:13 pm

Had an 'internet with legs' pack from 3 which gave 200GB for £20 over a 24 month period.
I found this a great deal better than the monthly data only contract as you almost never use as much as contracted.

With all of these SIMs, best to activate it in store (just pop in and ask them to activate it on their little box) so it works flawlessly when you pop it into the SIM slot in your car.
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:13 pm

SpokenHands wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Had an 'internet with legs' pack from 3 which gave 200GB for £20 over a 24 month period.
I found this a great deal better than the monthly data only contract as you almost never use as much as contracted.

With all of these SIMs, best to activate it in store (just pop in and ask them to activate it on their little box) so it works flawlessly when you pop it into the SIM slot in your car.
Cant find this deal anywhere... any chance you could send a link to the above-mentioned deal from 3.
I used to use a 24GB 2 year validity 3 SIM and I have run out of data. Hence looking for a replacement.
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats