Change SIM card UK

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Wivenhoe

Re: Change SIM card UK

Post by Wivenhoe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm

I haven’t seen this questions asked previously, please forgive if it has. I am sure I know the answer, but can the latest pivi pro use 5g sim’s ? EE have some great deals but they are only on 5g - 160gb monthly for £ 20 but only a miserable 3gb 4g for £ 19. I checked the Ubigi site and they want £ 17 for 5gb. If it will only use 4g then it makes sense to buy from Ubigi as it’s already integrated - is 5gb ample if I want to always use satellite view, Spotify (which may be free data) and any future uses.

I have read that if you don’t use Ubigi then the SOTA data isn’t free - can these get enormous ?

I have got plenty of time to sort these things out as I am not getting the car until early May. But being stuck indoors gives me the time now to research and decide.

Any advice will be appreciated.
P400e ordered May delivery. Santorini black with options
Previous PHEV hybrids - Mercedes C350e, E350e & BMW 530e

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm

I don’t know about the 5G and Pivi Pro but my guess would be no knowing JLR.

You’ll get 500MB a month free with the Ubigi which as you said doesn’t include the SOTA updates. The last update was only 7MB as it small update but they can be a lot larger.

I haven’t put my own SIM in yet but I know a lot of people on here have put the Three Data SIM in (24GB for £40 as a one off fee not a monthly). Might be worth a look?
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Thanks I will do. I double checked on the EE site and they do say the 5g sims are ‘smart’ and can be used in 4g equipment. I certainly don’t want to pay for masses of date the car will not use but equally don’t want to be faffing about if the data allowance is exceeded.

I’m coming from Mercs and a BMW and they know how to charge for ‘services’ so I am naturally thinking that the 500mb of free data included is just a taster as it would be with them !

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 pm

Wivenhoe wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 pm
Thanks I will do. I double checked on the EE site and they do say the 5g sims are ‘smart’ and can be used in 4g equipment. I certainly don’t want to pay for masses of date the car will not use but equally don’t want to be faffing about if the data allowance is exceeded.

I’m coming from Mercs and a BMW and they know how to charge for ‘services’ so I am naturally thinking that the 500mb of free data included is just a taster as it would be with them !
Haha yep it is a “taster” really but most of the time I use CarPlay so don’t use the data on the Ubigi SIM (there was an issue with this at one point but it seems to have been resolved). It is nice on occasion to use Spotify directly though so if you plan on that then get the bigger SIM. You can always pop the Ubigi one in for updates (or do them over Wi-fi if your home network reaches the car).
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:08 am

I bought my car when it was about 6 months old and it didn't have a UBIGI SIM. I had put in a 3 data SIM in the the SIM slot and that worked well until recently. My car had its 3rd birthday and the In Control subscription has run out. I haven't renewed my subscription yet. However I was hoping that the 3 SIM card would still pick traffic data for real time traffic information off the internet. However this does not seem to be the case. The in built sat nav maps does not show traffic data anymore, nor does it show the fuel prices on nearby filling stations. Is there a way to get this going without renewing the In control subscription. I am toying the idea of replacing my Velar and hence holding back on the subscription renewal.
I know I have plenty of data left over on my 3 data SIM. Any idea how I can configure this SIM to pick up RTTI without renewing the In Control subscription?
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

ABZBOB

Post by ABZBOB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 am

Wivenhoe wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Wivenhoe, I have a MY21 velar with Privi, there is no sim card slot, it seems to built in, haven't found out where or how it works as yet, but I can get the details from the screen via the connection details. It tells you who the data plan is with and the sim ie number etc, but not available data, not sure if anyone on here has more info on this. So not even sure the sim can be swapped out.
Will do some more digging as depending on the data available would probably want to change it for more.
MY21 D300 SE R-Dynamic, Igor grey.

Totem

Post by Totem » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:52 am

On MY21 Velars there are two e-sims in the car one for the vehicle and one for the connected services. If you have the online with data option you get 12 months unlimited data ideal for a connected Spotify account. When your first year is finished you can renew but I don,t know if you able to change from O2 which is JLR prefered data provider.

I have not found where you can change the e-sim settings yet.
MY21 Velar HSE P400e, Eiger Grey, Light Oyster, Pano Roof, etc.
MY19 R Dynamic S P250 Byron Blue, Black Pack, Black Wheels, Contrast Pano Roof, Drive Pack, AD, Surround Cameras & Interactive Display.

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:17 am

Great. Many thanks for taking the time. Did some digging on the LR sites & iGuide - clear as mud and I think JLR have moved towards the Merc & BMW model of locking you into expensive ‘services’. I’ll check with the salesman but my reading of all the various LR sites is :-

2021 Velar iGuide says The availability of the nano SIM card slot is dependent on the specification and market of the vehicle. You would have thought they could be a little more informative as it’s only whether the slot is there or not on a UK 2021 Velar. The online Owners Information for 2021 Velar says the same thing - slot may be there or not.

The 2021 Owners Info says there is a fair usage policy on the Hotspot but when you follow the link there is no mention of it.

The Pivi Pro site says there are options available including WiFi Enabled with 20gb of Data per month (after a £ 440 option) or an online pack with no details of the data allowance. In the very small print it says that the online pack is only for 1 year not the normal 3 years with other manufacturers. So after only a year you are into subscriptions. I can’t find anywhere what the subscription would be - only the InControl map updates etc which are after 3 years and not part of the Online Data. All 2021 models except the base Velar has the Online Data Plan as standard.

I’ll let you know what the salesman says

Wivenhoe

Re: Change SIM card UK & possible price change

Post by Wivenhoe » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:54 am

Salesman has confirmed that as ABZBOB said, no slot and he spoke to JLR and they said they had not worked out what the subscription would be after only 1 year ! Even if it is unreasonably expensive I don’t see an alternative. If the sim is integrated then it must be locked into a provider which ABZBOB has confirmed is O2. They seem to be offering data only sims at the same cost as others and cheaper than Ugibi so maybe it will be ok.

After ordering last week I was researching which data option to go for and went to the configurator to check. I found that there is no longer a 2021 brochure available and that the Velar configurator didn’t have any prices and the previous standard fit of heated windscreen was now an option. Spoke to salesman and he knew nothing about it - he spoke to JLR and maybe coincidently, the website Is back to the previous version ! He was hopping mad as he had that morning learnt that the 3 RR Sports he had ordered for 1 buyer had a spec change that was in effect immediately and if the buyer wanted to maintain the delivery he had to confirm now the revised spec. Some customer care !

JimH

Post by JimH » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:29 pm

https://www.gsma.com/esim/what-happens- ... o-another/

It's technically possible to change operator for an eSIM, it just depends on whether the manufacturer allows it/puts in place the process for it......
MY2019.5 D240 SE R Dynamic - Firenze Red, Body Colour roof with fixed panoramic glass and black rails, 21" Style 5047G dark grey with diamond cut finish wheels, Heated windscreen and steering wheel, Adaptive Dynamics, Front fog lights, Privacy glass