Latest Major Software Update

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Jim55

Re: Latest Major Software Update

Post by Jim55 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:09 am

Regarding the way the lower touch screen works I prefer it as it has been since 20B. I typically just leave the heating on auto and just adjust the temperature occasionally depending whether I'm driving in shirt sleeves or with a jumper or coat on.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

dc44back

Post by dc44back » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 pm

I’ve 20c now.

However, the issue with the fan speed button no longer remaining / reverting back to temp was the case in 20b for me. It’s very annoying...
P380 R-Dynamic HSE: Indus Silver, 22" Diamond Turned alloys, Narvik Black roof and.... everything!!!

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 am

It’s not an ‘issue’, its now a feature... seems LR deemed logic be thrown out the window on this IMHO.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Shamrock

Post by Shamrock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 am

I e-mailed land rover about this and received this reply,

"The new updates are intended to enhance the software and vehicle infotainment system .

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us and assure that this matter has been addressed to continually customer’s expectation.

Furthermore, kindly note that your comments have been forwarded to the concerned department for their consideration.

I appreciate the time taken writing to us."

Perhaps if enough of us send in feedback they'll revert things back to when the controls where logical.

I can't understand the logic of removing the drive program control from the lower knob. 😒

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Its the same copy/paste message anyone gets so I wouldn't hold much hope of getting them to revert anything.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Shamrock

Post by Shamrock » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:47 pm

No harm in trying I suppose, as car infotainment systems are becoming more complex they really need to establish a proper software feedback form online 🤷🏻

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 pm

If the driver's side fan/temperature knob is changed back to fan speed, will that cause those, like me, who like the change to be able to control temperature to raise the issue to change it back again - a possible better solution would be to petition to make it user selectable :^))
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Shamrock

Post by Shamrock » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Exactly, have an option in the settings to allow for that, these new car infotainment systems really should be treated like smartphones and be a lot of customisable than they currently are.

It seems that with the release of the new PIVI Pro system, land rover might just give up on us incrontol duo users very soon.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Jim55 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 pm
If the driver's side fan/temperature knob is changed back to fan speed, will that cause those, like me, who like the change to be able to control temperature to raise the issue to change it back again - a possible better solution would be to petition to make it user selectable :^))
Before the 'great change' all you did was push the dial to get temperature selection and push again for seat heating. Once change to temperature it never reverted back to the fan until you pressed the fan button. For me this was far better. The passenger can hunt for the little fan button easily. As the driver I don't want to have to this.

When going to the Vehicle screen the drivers temperature control turned into TR mode selection. For me the dial was always hit and miss and I'd have to reselect the mode I actually wanted. I reverted to using the touch screen buttons which was easier to target being up at the top of the screen. The fan button is tucked down at the bottom which is much harder to hit while driving.

Each to their own I guess, but when driving I want easily selectable touch screen controls with large target areas to avoid taking my eyes off the road for more than a split second.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19

Shamrock

Post by Shamrock » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Well said there Simonh, agree totally, you really do have to look down for a second or two and trying to hit that tiny fan button isn't that easy while driving. Especially on country roads.

The fan speed should remain on once selected it's far safer that way, and I believe most people leave there dual climate temperature synced so having both display the temperature is unnecessary, if the front passenger wants to adjust the temperature they aren't focusing on the road and can take all day going through the screens.

As for the terrain response selector, I found it useful to quickly switch the drive program to dynamic when entering country roads, I'd just quickly rotate the knob to the left and off you go you're in dynamic mode, now just like the fan button the touch screen drive programs are absolutely tiny.

Other range rover models (Classic & Sport) have a physical TR selector unlike the Velar and Evoque.