Long-term report: Velar in NW Scotland....

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Re: Long-term report: Velar in NW Scotland....

Post by Arianne » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:08 am

Bottom wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Sorry, late reply from me Arianne, the Dunnet Head light house is a Stevenson design therefore the same as Mull of Galloway and others near you in the Borders.
I use my Velar in eco mode about 90% of the time, the twisty roads here are both difficult to overtake on and rammed (most years) with tourists and lorries, so there’s a lot of pottering around. Even in Eco mode, the D300 has plenty of get up and go, to despatch the dawdlers.
My wife prefers the drive in dynamic mode, she chucks the Velar around like her wee i3 with gay abandon.

I had a LR Experience session in a full fat Range Rover back in November. The Velar felt like a sports car when I got back in, so much more responsive and sharper to drive. Wouldn’t swap the Velar for a RR even at the same money.

I used to commute twice a week from Glencoe to Kyle of Lochalsh. I only failed to get through once in 10 years, Landrover cars get some abuse regarding reliability, but when the going is really, really bad, I would not want to be in anything else.
When my wife broke her arm badly, we had to get her to hospital in Inverness, the weather conditions were terrible, full on blizzard conditions. We made the 2 hour journey in 3.5 hours but we did make it, there were other cars going off the road all round us, lorries and busses getting stuck on the hills and we just plugged along.

Totally concur with that, even oddly down to Mrs A’s driving style matching your wife’s approach to jumping in the Velar. Which is why the little trick of setting the Velar to Eco mode appeals to me deep, deep inside! Just takes the edge of the ‘Point & Squirt’ approach to her short trips. Weirdly though, Mrs A consistently triumphs in the MPG trials on multi-driver long road trips when our family rotates drivers across the three of us. It doesn’t feel like it should be that way as a passenger but the onboard data doesn’t lie. Well it does! But since it lies consistently for all three of us, the relative difference between our three driving styles for fuel economy is probably true?

I have a photo of St Abbs lighthouse tucked away somewhere. I may dig it out. Things are descending into dangerous territory here - grown men creating a thread for posting images of lighthouses and commenting upon their architectural provenance. Anyone else? A global twist in lighthouses maybe (I do have one which I think might be at Point Bonita by the Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco. Noteworthy for me because it is near to where the iconic scene was filmed in Hitchcock’s film, Vertigo (Fort Point)).

7BCCFD9D-4432-4387-BAD0-1A2728B28D36.jpeg

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:05 am

Lighthouses? Certainly, all my own photographs and my copyright:

The fake lighthouse at Portmerion Wales UK

7060185387_2db800dbdd_c.jpg

Plover Scar Lighthouse, also known as the Abbey Lighthouse, is an active 19th century lighthouse sited at the entrance of the Lune estuary, near Cockersand Abbey in Lancashire, England. The lighthouse is maintained by the Lancaster Port Commission. It is registered under the international Admiralty number A4876 and has the NGA identifier of 114-5144
The lighthouse consists of an 8-metre-high (26 ft) white conical stone tower, with a black lantern and twin galleries, built on a rock ledge that is uncovered at low tide.
With a height of 6m above sea level, the light can be seen for six nautical miles. Its light characteristic is made up of a flash of white light every two seconds
The lighthouse was built in 1847 equipped with a pair of paraffin lamps mounted in parabolic reflectors in the early 1950s electric lamps replaced the oil lanterns.

50377950036_ff9ca3797a_c.jpg

Kyleakin Lighthouse is situated at the south-western end of Eilean Bàn meaning White Island a six acre island in Scotland for which the 2001 national census recorded a population of 2. The lighthouse was built in 1857, and is linked to a pair of keepers' houses and was decommissioned in 1993.

36742789306_24071e5530_c.jpg

Another not a real lighthouse, the Sir John Barrow Monument Ulverston Cumbria A prominent landmark in Cumbria UK and strangely instead of an original design a copy of the third Eddystone Lighthouse. It commemorates Sir John Barrow who was born in Ulverston in 1764. Sir John was a founder member of the Royal Geographic Society and held various government posts in the 19th century becoming the Second Secretary to the Admiralty.
Grade II listed, it is exactly 100 feet high.

14056686902_150b555b1d_c.jpg

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Well seeing we're talking about lighthouses... we stayed in this place http://www.lighthousehotel.co.uk
For our silver wedding anniversary a wee while ago. Fantastic place with excellent food and the accommodation was great. However... if you're expecting a nice long lie in, be aware that if there's some early morning mist then the fog horn is both still operational and bloody loud!

DSC_0001.jpeg

Sorry no Velar at that time, that's my lovely Mk 1 MX5 instead.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:34 pm

@ChrisL & @Bottom

Very nice images. Unsure about the relevance of this thread anymore to the Velar forum but...... who cares?

So I've delved back and found this series of images from 2015 when we visited the Isle of Skye at Neist Point, the most westerly of them all and very dramatic. Like almost all of them across Scotland, it had been automated and the rest of the property sold off. In this case the buyer had chosen to convert the former lighthouse keeper's accommodation into self-catering cottages. This might normally have worked but the extremely remote location coupled with the fact that there is no road to the lighthouse probably put most folk off.

DSC01039.JPG

DSC01042.JPG

DSC01043.JPG

DSC01044.JPG

DSC01045.JPG

DSC01026.JPG

DSC01028.JPG

DSC01030.JPG

Access is via a steep and lengthy path. Above you is a disused cableway which would have enabled goods to be sent to the lighthouse. The photos capture the loneliness of the lighthouse and the sadness that, after 100 or so years of habitation, the buildings have been left to decay.

As a bonus and to match Bottom's MX5 as well as attempt a weak link to the motoring theme that is this thread...... I've included an image of our beloved Volvo XC60.

DSC01020.JPG

Have a good weekend folks.

Arianne

DSC01041.JPG

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm

.... and a couple of the final images showing a Jaguar E-type we followed onto the ferry that year and the decay of the lighthouse:

DSC01092.JPG

DSC01063.JPG

DSC01058.JPG

DSC01053.JPG

DSC01048.JPG

DSC01047.JPG

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 pm

It seems this thread and our Velar forum is being monitored by.......

..... the Volvo XC60 owners’ forum who have cross referenced our thread with a hyperlink!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthre ... 4&page=157

The link above is to the ‘mother of all’ threads. 129,000 views and 1,565 replies. If you ever find yourself suffering from insomnia and enjoy reading about cars then this thread is the one for you. In fact, as one reader said when he finally completed reading it at the time, it took him several nights before he reached the end - and posted his experience accordingly on the thread!

Possibly the perfect antidote to COVID-19 restrictions, lockdown and the mundane Groundhog Day existence many of us are experiencing right now (good film that, by the way).

It’s good to know that Volvo and Range Rover owners have been brought together in this way. Who’d have thought it?

Best wishes, Arianne

DAL

Post by DAL » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am

Lovely review and pictures :-)

Three days ago I changed my FPACE S 3L petrol Supercharged (380bhp) for a Velar HSE RD D300. Partly because I could not not face going lower than 300BHP and secondly we bought a new (how life changes lol) 1650 MTPLM caravan (have the elec deploy tow bar) to do more UK touring so wanted the extra omph.

The air sus was also a factor as had that option on my 2013 Cayenne which made a big difference.

I’ve only done 110 miles so far and not towed the caravan yet (inaugural trip later in April) but first impressions: think I’m already in love. So much more refined in every way, cabin opulent on a different scale to my FPACE, more than enough power and smooth delivery from the proven V6 and ZF combination.

So I will miss the aggressive power and noise of the FPACE S (ego I know - but particularly surprising people as no way badge wise to tell the diesel or petrol FPACE variants on the older models) , in reality though how often do/can you use it these days.

So, finally your posts have reminded me we really need to do the Scotland coast road trip in the next year or so...

Cheers for now from sunny Nottingham (well at least this morning it is)
Darren
D300 R-Dynamic, silicon silver, 22s, black contrast roof, black pack, sliding pan roof, elec deploy tow bar, secure tracker,

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:18 pm

I’d like to do the NC500. Living in central Scotland and working in sales and support for decades, I’ve travelled most of the populous areas of the UK - doing 70k miles some years! However, I’ve only been to Skye and Barr’s on the West Coast and although I’ve been to Shetland a few times, never Orkney. I’ve been as far North West as Gairloch, and Thurso on the East. So loads of the less busy parts to do…

Some the views on the West of Scotland are breathtaking.
2021 Velar P400e R-Dynamic SE, 21” diamond alloys, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 pm

Nice to see the thread resurrected in March and still bringing a bit of joy during these dreary days when our choices are all a tad limited right now.

Our 2020 Swiss trip to Torbel (near Zermatt and Matterhorn) was bumped to Summer 2021. Now bumped to 2022 following my chat with the chalet owner. Very understanding man is Sebastian. I called him Seb at the start of our very first telconv with him last year and got off to a great start - corrected immediately, “the name is Sebastian”. Whatever, we did the deal in true Brit / Deutschland cooperation!

So we’re off to North Uist, Outer Hebrides instead for our hols. Ferry is 1hr 45mins. Endless, white sandy beaches. Probably freezing and expecting rain! Just glad to get away. A trip to St Kilda? Who knows!

Best wishes to all. Arianne