Long-term report: Velar in NW Scotland....

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Re: Long-term report: Velar in NW Scotland....

Post by Arianne » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Spencerwilks wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:39 pm
Great pictures! Thanks Arianne.

Christmas Eve wash completed before Jack frost arrives!
Happy Christmas everyone and lets look forward to a better 2021.

That’s one beautiful Velar. Love the colour. I am a bit too cautious - saw the brochure model in Corris Grey at launch and replicated it. Soooo many in Corris Grey and black roof with privacy glass.

Your car is stunning and the light makes it in your photos.

Have a lovely evening, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 am

Amazing read as always and stunning pictures!

I headed to Bristol from Cambridgeshire yesterday in torrential rain. I had KITT (my Velar) in Grass/Gravel/Snow mode most of the way because of the standing water and he didn’t put a foot wrong! In fact at one point I saw the car in front squirm as it hit a large puddle and start to aqua plane, KITT just lapped it up and kept going!

Doing the return journey on Christmas Eve I was warned by friends that my village was flooded. Upon return I found their warning were well advised. KITT again ploughed through the water and put a huge smile on my face in the process. I love this car!

Merry Christmas all!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Three years and 40,000 miles on: does the significant price premium to access the D300 V6 make sense compared to what a D240 Ingenium 4pot has on offer? That's the focus of this post, alongside an array of images of our adventure in NW Scotland as Storm Bella builds for Boxing Day. If you own a D180, D240 or D300 then I'd be interested in hearing about your observations and reaction to my own assessment. Hey, even those who weirdly chose a P prefix on their engine derivative badge might even chip in! If, like me, you're totally fed up with the endless media coverage of Covid-19 and Brexit, cheer yourself up with some petrolhead JLR Velar, light-hearted and almost meaningless chit-chat over the holiday break.

Photos, to break the monotony of the text, are today from Gairloch's Flowerdale Glen and beach. Enjoy...

20201224_Velar1.jpg

[This is what Velars are born to do - the Great Outdoors with standard forestry commission crushed-rock driveways]

But first, what's happening down there in the Midlands at the JLR factory for Velars? In researching the price difference between a D240 and D300 on the website configurator, I discovered that the erstwhile huge range of engine choices that once was on offer has disappeared. There is no D240 anymore. Or am I missing something?

If diesel's your thing (and with this being a two-ton plus SUV then it normally would be - leaving city dwellers' fears of future restrictions aside), there's just a D200 and the new D300 MHEV straight six for you to choose. That's it. Is this a response to supply chain issues or a permanent rationalisation of the product range for simplicity and cost savings? This makes my analysis of the pros and cons of the 4pot versus the V6 somewhat more complex on the basis that neither the D240 nor the D300 V6 are available to order anymore. However, let's have a go at this and see where it takes us.

Broadly speaking, you'll save around £12k choosing the D200 over the new D300 - £48k against £60k. Of course, getting the Velar you truly want involves a foray into the options list and the price soon balloons. It could be worse, this is JLR and not Porsche. With Porsche you start with four wheels, engine, gearbox and some basic seats. After that, Porsche helpfully make many, many 'Porsche Recommendations' from the stuff you actually really need and thought might be included in the core package..... down to complete tat. At least a basic Velar is reasonably well equipped, for now.

£12k is no small amount, although it somehow looks worse when my eyes see it expressed as £48k compared to £60k. If money is tight (oxymoron alert, as anyone buying a Velar surely cannot argue that money's truly tight) then I have often toyed with the possibility of acquiring a D180 (now D200), adding some slightly larger 20" wheels, privacy glass and choosing an interior other than black - voila, a good looking Velar that borrows from the halo models with the no-cost option of de-badging. White is still free, although a slightly larger cheque would enable access to a wider colour palette. That's it. From thereon, the Law of Diminishing Returns looms large.

20201224_121342.jpg

[Flowerdale Glen waterfalls - not quite Niagara, not even Krimml but we'll take what's on offer here in good old Blighty]

But a good looking car doesn't always make for a happy, long-term relationship. I've always argued that, after the first few months, what really makes for happiness is performance, handling and character - the latter being thinner on a stock car compared to a bespoke build. But would this hold true with these two Velars, especially with a saving of £12k sitting in the bank or being spent on some other joy-inducing experiences?

In 2017 I was certain of my answer - luxury SUVs like the Velar are born for six-cylinder engines and not the 4pot Ingenium. I therefore parted with just over £70k of hard earned cash and had no doubts lingering in my mind. And for the last three-years I have held fast to that opinion,,,,,,

...... until quite recently. Now I am of the opinion that this comparison is a whole lot closer than I previously thought. Let me explain.

20201224_Velar2.jpg

[defensive parking clearly in evidence, despite an otherwise deserted car park - they'll come, and they'll choose to park right next to me for some inexplicable reason]

Our D300 V6 is effortless. She wafts along as a proper Range Rover should. It's the combination of the 700Nm of torque coupled with the air suspension and ZF autobox. In the beginning, the V6' performance was a novelty. But it's been a good while since I shifted our Velar into Dynamic mode for anything other than a quick jab of an overtaking move on a fast Scottish country road. For a looong time, she's spent her life mainly in Comfort mode.

Then Covid-19 arrived on these shores during early 2020. Trips out in our Velar have reduced to little more than a daily commute for Mrs A of 2.5 miles each way, across the River Tweed to check and care for her elderly Mum. I have rarely driven during 2020, except for the family break to Cumbria and this one to NW Scotland. So back in March I did something that I never thought likely. That's correct - I pressed the Eco option. Yes, I'll admit to it. I chose a driving mode that seemed unthinkable when I first bought our Velar back in 2017. And I didn't tell Mrs A.

Three things were noteworthy. First, the Eco mode stayed permanently enabled. I thought it would default back to Comfort after a predetermined period of inactivity. I am sure it did back in 2017. Perhaps this has been changed with the software updates since then? Whatever. Second, Mrs A never noticed and said nothing. TBH, no surprises there since Mrs A claims not to notice any difference when I occasionally throw the car into Dynamic mode anyway - how crazy is that? Third, fuel economy for these short runs with a cold engine seems to have improved. I went almost three months between March and June 2020 before refilling with diesel (those AVC contributions have been healthy during 2020). That planted a seed in my mind.

20201225_123103.jpg

[Gairloch Beach - so many beautiful, red and sandy beaches. So freezing cold. No wonder they're unspoilt and solitary]

The seed germinated and has grown. Here's the thing - on the M90, a deserted Scottish two-lane motorway heading north from the Forth suspension bridge, what's the problem with Eco mode? In a convoy on a twisting country road with the Tesco lorry trundling south at 40mph, for our safety (and frustration), with a dozen cars in tow (including the mandatory Nissan Micra and Honda Jazz), why not Eco? In fact, unless one is overtaking, late for an important appointment or just wanting to have a blast for the sheer joy of it, why not Eco?

Answer, I hear some of you reply is... "you're getting old!" And you maybe right, but maybe not. The Velar can be driven hard and it does a great job. But turn into a bend and she reminds you that, despite the supermodel looks, she's no 'size zero'. That weight shifts on her centre of gravity. I feel it, I sense it. It's weird because this initial shift of mass should, in most other SUVs, be a warning of something horrible to come next - understeer. But in the Velar it isn't. The weight shifts and then..... nothing. She just takes the corner and you drive on. That sense of bulk isn't something one experiences in a Porsche Macan. nor in a Jaguar F-Pace S. I get how they achieve it with the Porsche since it really isn't a proper SUV but more of a jacked-up, oversized hatchback. But what Jaguar has accomplished with the much bigger F-Pace is a true miracle of physics, if not of ride comfort.

For our Velar, it's like she's speaking to us - "I can do this if you really insist but why, when I can get you to your destination in luxury, calmly and in serenity. Ease back, pop on my Meridian Surround Sound and chill. Drive me but don't feel the need to think about driving me". Re-reading this almost sounds provocative. It's not intended - promise. That's just what a Velar does, she talks to you as you drive. Gerry McGovern, the hugely talented and award-winning designer of the Velar knew what he was doing for those of us with mentally demanding day jobs.

20201225_125735.jpg

[Gairloch golf course car park, a nine-hole links course alongside the famous North Coast 500 - the Ultimate Road Trip] https://www.northcoast500.com/

And so this is what has happened: Over time my driving style has changed with Velar ownership. I have the potent performance available when I wish to deploy it, but spend most of my time enjoying every journey by wafting along. In most cases this might be read as joining the Nissan Micra club and spending my life travelling at 40mph to everyone else's frustration. But in a Velar, a sense of travelling at 40mph is actually 60mph when once checks the speedo.

Which brings me back to the original point of this post: D200 (D240) or D300? If I rarely use the full might of my V6 diesel, if the turn-in performance of the much lighter 4pot Ingenium engine over the front axle is so much better, and the price difference is so profound..... why not a 4pot instead of the six-cylinder?

Well, I do get air suspension with the D300. It's nice - the car looks better with her slammed, gangster appearance when parked up. But I rarely lift the suspension and go wading a ford (although we did actually do this in Cumbria just once), and the springs of the D200 / D240 are okay. I might have to opt for 20" wheels on standard springs, which is not so good for the aesthetics but helps with a more forgiving ride. But then my £48k D200 plus minimal options didn't include 21" rims anyway. It's nice having the power on tap, knowing it's there when wanted. But the D240 is no slouch either, albeit that it doesn't deliver at the business end quite so effortlessly or in a hushed manner.

20201225_123803.jpg

Gairloch - the actual loch is just 6.5 miles long. Short for a Scottish sea loch but with stunning views out towards the Isle of Skye. Just not today.

I do wonder then if the D240 was the sweet-spot in the range (spoken in the past tense since it seems this engine variant is no longer available to order). It offered sufficient performance, was slightly more agile in her handling and promised a sizeable saving over the larger D300 version. Okay, not so sweet on the ears, especially when it's 'pedal to the metal' time. But still? If I find myself driving my D300 regularly in Eco mode then maybe the D240 is the engine of choice, at least for the accountant in me.

So what's the conclusion then? Well, for this average guy who's had several D240, solid white stormtrooper Velar S courtesy cars thrown his way by the local dealer during the last three years, I have concluded that........ this is a pretty close thing. If it's a purchase of the heart, as was our acquisition of Holly (she has a name), then it's the D300 with the toys and a bespoke build. Drive her as you feel in the moment, one has the choice. On the other hand, if the purchase is more rational then maybe the D240 makes better sense. Of course, some of that £12k saving can also be deployed to make one's Velar a very nice place to be!

Just one thing though. The D200 (or D180, as was)? I am less sure of this variant. The lack of outright verve and midrange acceleration leaves me in a quandary. It feels like a slightly odd combination for a Velar. But maybe for a city or for predominantly town driving, even straightforward cruising on a motorway?

20201225_125547.jpg

Okay, OCD admission coming up: my two bucket wash system is visible in the boot. Great intentions but pointless really as I discovered on arrival up here in winter.

Of one thing I am sure though - I'm not spending my entire life behind the Tesco truck, the Nissan Micra and Honda Jazz. And the safest way to make that convoy history is to own a D300. Pop her into Dynamic mode, nudge the ZF gearbox into Sport setting and then thoughtfully choose several opportunities to skip up the line until one is clear of yet another HGV posse to enjoy the open road ahead. In the full knowledge that the occupants of the Micra and Jazz will be 'tut-tutting' to their other halves about such driving. On the other hand the HGV driver will simply be admiring the beautiful rear-end of our Velar as she disappears into the distance - I've always been of the opinion that lorry drivers admire beauty. Which is why they have photo-calendars of Velars hanging in their cabs. One day my friend, you too may be driving a Range Rover Velar because Tesco says..... every penny counts!

20201224_113828.jpg

Once again then, pics today were of Flowerdale Glen, the beach in Gairloch and a Velar parked up nearby set to Eco mode!

Have a lovely break folks and batten down the hatches for Storm Bella.

Best wishes, Arianne.
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:24 pm

I have had some experience of the D240 Ingenium engine, firstly in the 2 Jaguar F paces I had to reject in 2017/18 and then in the XF AWD Sportbrake I had after the disaster with the F paces. I must agree with Arianne that the 240 unit is more vocal than the D 300 unit but in performance I have not noticed a great difference when I have had the opportunity to drive a Velar with the V unit.
My Daughter bought a Velar with the 240 engine when it was first launched and after 7000 miles the balance shaft bearings had to be replaced which shook my confidence a little but then her car went on to cover 40K miles without further problems. I drove her car frequently and it was always superior to the F pace in terms of quality and insulation giving a much quieter ride and a presence which the F Pace never had. Because of the ongoing problems with Jaguar and the appalling treatment from their customer service department and my threatened legal action I forced them into supplying me with a new XF Sportbrake but I really wanted the Velar which they would not consider. So when the 2018 XF Sportbrake was ready for change I had no hesitation in choosing the HSE version of the Velar with the 240D engine but within my budget over the D300 and I have no regrets as the 240unit is averaging 37 mpg on shorter journeys and will regularly return 50mpg on a fast run from Nottingham to Hope Cove in Devon in quiet comfort. I occasionally have some fun by selecting Dynamic mode in S gear mode and the stiffer suspension is ideal on twisting country roads I sometimes have to take and the Velar leaves a smile on my face every time.
I am hoping that under the model rationalisation planned early in 2021 to try and save JLR the Velar will not disappear as it is one of the best all round cars I have ever owned from a list of 48 since my motoring commenced in 1963
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am

I found my D240 never lacking in pace when needed and a lively animal when in Dynamic and Sport mode selected. It’s certainly not as smooth as a V6 diesel nor sounding as nice. Yes it can be a bit revvy / vocal at times but never sounded rough or particularly unpleasant (but never as good as a V6 diesel).

TBH the only thing it lacks is the V6 diesel sound and at times smoothness. Everything else is just dandy with this engine.

Regular 42’ish to the gallon (according to the car at least) and drops to around 36mpg if driven harder.

All round a very impressive engine, as it was in my Disco 5.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 - Now gone
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:02 am

Lovely write up as always Arianne and a good discussion topic.

I have the D240 and have to say I’m impressed with it. On the day I chose the Velar I test drove an F-Pace immediately before it with the D180 engine. When I arrived at the dealership that day my heart was set on a Velar but my head was leaning towards the F-Pace. I think the F-Pace is a great looking car and as we all know they are very very closely related. I was set that the D180 in either car was going to be my choice.

Two things struck me with the F-Pace D180 that I drove. The first was the seats. (I have an upper back problem and a lingering tendon issue in my upper thigh. Within the first ten minutes of the test drive I had to stop as the seating position was unsustainable for me.... but I digress). The second was the lack of performance. I did put it in Sport mode and to be fair to the D180 I didn’t put it into dynamic but it left me underwhelmed given the reviews I’d read. Also, the engine was noisy both inside the F-Pace when pushed and then outside the vehicle when ticking over.

When I switched to the Velar test drive immediately after they only had a D240. The first thing I noticed was it ticked over more quietly than the F-Pace. When I pointed this out to the sales man he replied “that’s because this is a Range Rover”. The increased performance though was noticeable immediately upon driving. The dealership let me borrow the car for the weekend to test the comfort which meant I also planted around in Dynamic mode... that turns the Velar into a different beast! I’d be interested to try the D180 in a dynamic as the D240 flys!

Ultimately I pushed my budget to the D240 because of this. The D300 I have now driven a coupe of times and think it is a beautiful engine! The sound and way it delivers its power is perfect for me but I could justify the direct cost in purchasing (although the added air suspension would have been lovely as well) but also the insurance cost for me jumped up as well.

Knowing all I know now, I’d stick with the D240 again given the choice (if the engine line up was the same). Given the limitation of the choice now though, I’d want to test both D200 and D300 seriously before parting with my cash.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:44 pm

The adventure is over. Our Velar has safely returned us home. As a Land Rover with winter tyres and AWD, this was an interesting but uneventful journey. For the two cars unable to ascend the gradient on the A832 at Glen Docherty, it's been quite the opposite. Once again, our Velar has proved her worth by taking whatever the weather throws at us with ease.

20201227_104154.jpg

Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2 winter tyres and Land Rover's 'Go Anywhere' AWD system relieve all anxiety from driving on snow.

So this is the end of our week's break and what to say? Scotland's not Austria. The Highlands are not The Alps. Skiing in Scotland is, how shall I say, not quite as thrilling as in The Tyrol. But good old Blighty has delivered when all the other options were closed off to us, and for that we are truly grateful.

We've had Storm Bella lash the big Scandinavian styled windows on our coastal property with rain and sleet. We've had beautiful blue skies for a couple of days that made the sea lochs glisten blue and the red, sandy beaches look wonderful. And then today we awoke to snow - making the journey home inspiring as we gazed across miles of lonely, unspoilt and untouched wilderness. And all in the space of just seven days.

20201227_090111.jpg

Good morning: wasn't expecting this down at sea-level with the wet'n wild Gulf Stream

Our Velar has been a great companion, a member of our family - as all the best cars we have ever owned became. From our first Mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6L saloon not long after marrying Mrs A (we'll say nothing about the very first car, the dreadful Austin Allegro), through to the Alfa Romeo 33 that tried to kill me with the stuck throttle cable on the open road, the spacious Ford Galaxy and the first of our SUVs, the Volvo XC90 before this fabulous Velar. There were others but they fade away compared to this personal Hall of Fame for us.

20201227_124639.jpg

20201227_124330.jpg

A9 southbound with average speed cameras along its entire length from Perth to Inverness. Normally the bane of most drivers' lives, these particular cameras have proved to be life savers on this previously notorious stretch of road. Good call Transport Scotland!

2021 promises better things for us all on the Velar forum even if the first few months may prove a little tricky until the miracle that is the vaccine(s) works its magic for the human family. Then we can press the 'start button' on all the things we loved doing but have had to suspend, while hopefully consigning some of the behaviour leftover from the Industrial Revolution to the past - the daily commute to an office, working 9-5 and the relic of Scientific Management techniques which worked for Henry Ford's production line but are hopeless in the modern Knowledge Economy. I genuinely hope that 2020/21 will be the moment that modern post-industrial economies truly leap into the 21st century. We shall see.

In the meantime, I hope you've enjoyed this thread - part of my occasional series of threads tracking the adventures of our Velar and providing real-life reporting through the lived experiences of a long-term owner rather than some journalist. I enjoyed it, maybe you did too - especially if the Covid-19 restrictions where you live have limited your choices over the holiday period.

20201227_121015.jpg

Carrbridge - clean, simple and much appreciated loo stop. Safer this year than a service station.

Perhaps the images of NW Scotland have brought you a little joy, even the kernel of an idea for your road trip and a shortish UK break? To our friends in Continental Europe, the UK will be back open for holidays later in 2021 if you fancy popping across on the ferry to Dover, Newcastle or Portsmouth. And if you fancy hopping on a plane, the same warm invitation is extended to everyone else.

Until the next one then.....

Best wishes, Arianne.

20201227_104144.jpg

More than a mode of transport, our Velar has been a ticket to happy times and great adventures. While my accountant might not approve, life experiences are...... priceless :)

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Sorry, late reply from me Arianne, the Dunnet Head light house is a Stevenson design therefore the same as Mull of Galloway and others near you in the Borders.
I use my Velar in eco mode about 90% of the time, the twisty roads here are both difficult to overtake on and rammed (most years) with tourists and lorries, so there’s a lot of pottering around. Even in Eco mode, the D300 has plenty of get up and go, to despatch the dawdlers.
My wife prefers the drive in dynamic mode, she chucks the Velar around like her wee i3 with gay abandon.

I had a LR Experience session in a full fat Range Rover back in November. The Velar felt like a sports car when I got back in, so much more responsive and sharper to drive. Wouldn’t swap the Velar for a RR even at the same money.

I used to commute twice a week from Glencoe to Kyle of Lochalsh. I only failed to get through once in 10 years, Landrover cars get some abuse regarding reliability, but when the going is really, really bad, I would not want to be in anything else.
When my wife broke her arm badly, we had to get her to hospital in Inverness, the weather conditions were terrible, full on blizzard conditions. We made the 2 hour journey in 3.5 hours but we did make it, there were other cars going off the road all round us, lorries and busses getting stuck on the hills and we just plugged along.

Gogsy

Post by Gogsy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 am

Arianne, thank you very much for your wonderful write ups. I don’t post a lot but just thought I’d say how I look forward to your articles and they never fail to impress.
I look forward to your continuing on here and long may it last!
2018 Firenze Red D240 SE

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:47 am

Gogsy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:16 am
Arianne, thank you very much for your wonderful write ups. I don’t post a lot but just thought I’d say how I look forward to your articles and they never fail to impress.
I look forward to your continuing on here and long may it last!

That’s very kind of you Gogsy. You’re welcome - I enjoy drafting them. The aim is to offer something marginally informative and some light reading for folk fed up with the constant barrage of bad news in the media - with a Velar theme, of course!

It looks like the vast majority of us here in the U.K. are to be bathed in sunshine, albeit cold sunshine, on this first day of 2021. Have a good one - both the day and the year ahead of us.

Best wishes, Arianne.