Range Rover Velar Forum banner

MY21 D200 delivered with serious fault.

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Simonh 
#1 ·
So my MY21 D200 was due for delivery today and I'm already Off to a bad start. Car was delivered to me this morning, as the driver arrives an engine light comes on and the driver had to take it back.

He then dropped the car back to me about 5PM and said the fault was air in the fuel tank as this was the first time it had been filled up. On the first journey the accelerator would randomly lose all use and not work at all. The car would go no faster than 2MPH, this happened multiple times mid driving which is a big concern as i was on a busy duel carriage way when this occurred.

They are coming to collect it tomorrow morning and giving me a courtesy car.

Would I be going over the top in not wanting that specific vehicle returned to me? My mum has said I should refuse it and request a new one with the same optional extras and that Range Rover should provide a vehicle till the new one is ready.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I believe the dealer has to have the opportunity to fix the issue before it can be rejected. Document everything via email. If you purchased using finance it would be advisable to keep them informed as they would be the actual owner of the car.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Barachus said:
It's a hard one, they can fix it and it will probably be perfect onwards
Personally if anything mechanical happens again I would reject it and be looking to a replacement
I have very low tolerance for buying cars and then seeing mechanical issues
If I'm honest I want to reject and change to the Velar edition. I got a R dynamic SE with pan roof. They now have a Velar edition (that comes with all the extras I wanted, sliding pan roof, black pack, premium paint and ambient lighting) and it's cheaper than I'm paying for this.

#7 ·
Given these faults and also the gremlins with the new software I think I'd reject, try and use your bad experience to get a better deal on the Velar Edition. That would also give JLR time to sort the teething troubles with the new updates.

#8 ·
Haybrd said:
Given these faults and also the gremlins with the new software I think I'd reject, try and use your bad experience to get a better deal on the Velar Edition. That would also give JLR time to sort the teething troubles with the new updates.
This is what I was hoping to do but I assume I'll be without a car for the 3 months it takes them to build a Velar edition for me.

#9 ·
If you aren't adding anything additional to the spec then you might find one in stock and ready to roll.

#10 ·
Kingoyinbo said:
Haybrd said:
This is what I was hoping to do but I assume I'll be without a car for the 3 months it takes them to build a Velar edition for me.
There's a chance that JLR Customer Services might offer you a long-term loan car if your dealer doesn't .

The problem is as follows.... your Velar will, if you reject it, be pre-owned when the dealer tries to sell it on. The dealer takes the financial hit, not JLR. The dealer will want you to give them a chance. If you don't then, while you are within your rights to reject (30 day rule, as explained above), the dealer might not feel terribly inclined to help you. Bad as it may seem, offering them a few days to resolve the problem is not unreasonable. I would give them a few days, set a hard stop date for the car to be returned in perfect order and then test it. You'll still have three weeks and if anything goes wrong again - whether it's the same fault or a new one - you can invoke the instant 30 day rejection option at no cost to you. It's a simple process although, depending upon whether you bought the car outright, via JLR finance or through a third-party finance company it may mean tweaking the rejection letter and addressee.

If you tell the dealer that you want to reject and order a replacement then you can try and negotiate a loan car with them. They might agree although that's a cost to the dealer. The dealer could put pressure on JLR Customer Services to make a long-term loan car available to them / you from JLR's central fleet (they did for me - a lovely XJ 3.0d V6 which we chose from a shortlist of three cars for about six months including a holiday in France). But our issues were serious and, at the time, JLR had no remedy for the fault.

Forgive me here, and this might seem very naive, but I wouldn't burn through the trust and integrity by choosing a rapid rejection just because I could save some money on a different model in the range. I know this is tempting and you probably feel justified because your car has failed at the first hurdle. But I would retain the moral high ground and not be opportunistic.

If it were me, I would do as I have suggested above. I would put it in writing to the dealer and ask the dealer for a goodwill gesture because your special day has been ruined. Delivery day is a special day. It's part of the reason why we pay a premium to buy brand new. They've let you down and they should compensate you in some way or another. If they do offer you some form of compensation as a goodwill gesture then don't take it until the 30 day period has elapsed and make it clear, in writing, that accepting it does not affect your statutory consumer rights.

I hope the fault is quickly rectified and you can fall in love with your Velar as we have done. Ours was problematic at the beginning and we came within hours of rejection. But 3.5 years and 41k miles later...... we love our Velar and she has been a wonderful addition to our lifestyle. More than a mode of transport. The issues at the outset are now a faint memory.

Best wishes. Arianne.

#11 ·
Arianne said:
.. we love our Velar and she has been a wonderful addition to our lifestyle. More than a mode of transport.
I fully second this! I totally love mine. I hope whatever happens they sort it so you can enjoy yours.

#12 ·
I've had / am having a few problems mainly due to Pivi Pro software being immature and incorrectly configured for my car. I thought about the rejection route, but the car is so good in every other way, and all the niggles are slowly being sorted out by the dealer. Loving mine!!

#13 ·
Thanks for all your input guys, the manager from Stratstone Mayfair has agreed to find a velar edition as I did tell my sales person just before the finance application went through that I've seen that edition for a cheaper price. He then told me let's get the finance approved then we can discuss vehicles, finance got approved then he told me it's too late to pick the other one now.

Funnily enough I know how much of an amazing car the Velar is, I had a 2019 one that was written off end of last year and this is my replacement car.

#14 ·
Kingoyinbo said:
Thanks for all your input guys, the manager from Stratstone Mayfair has agreed to find a velar edition as I did tell my sales person just before the finance application went through that I've seen that edition for a cheaper price. He then told me let's get the finance approved then we can discuss vehicles, finance got approved then he told me it's too late to pick the other one now.

Funnily enough I know how much of an amazing car the Velar is, I had a 2019 one that was written off end of last year and this is my replacement car.
A good outcome and especially useful that you've kept the dealer on your side. Enjoy. Arianne

#16 ·
Kingoyinbo said:
Update:

I have been offered to keep the original car (D200) till first week of April where they will swap it out for a 21 Plate P250 Velar edition.

This PCP also works out £38 a month cheaper than the original one.
Result!

#18 ·
Kingoyinbo said:
Update:

I have been offered to keep the original car (D200) till first week of April where they will swap it out for a 21 Plate P250 Velar edition.

This PCP also works out £38 a month cheaper than the original one.
This is great news. Great to hear a dealer helping you out like this too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.