It’s the little things...

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

It’s the little things...

Post by Arianne » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Hello fellow Velar and aspiring Velar owners!

This last week or two has reminded me how much I appreciate some of the little design features of my Velar. Yes, it’s over engineered but here we go....

The winter setting for the windscreen wipers. This setting has enabled me to have warmed wipers smoothly moving across my front screen from the get-go and the rest of my journey - in temperatures down to -11c. It also means that they don’t get in the way of the air intake when I am clearing snow from the screen in the morning. Nice one!

The safety mechanism for the retractable door handles. I could do without the door handles being as they are if I’m honest. But since we are stuck with these design features, I appreciate how finely designed the release mechanism is on them when it’s icy and cold. This release mechanism might seem annoying at first because it doesn’t pull the handles back into the bodywork with any force, but they are brilliant since this means the mechanism doesn’t break. If we have to have retractable door handles then it’s good that some thought has been put into preserving them in icy cold weather.

Overall, what a car. Brilliant in the bad weather, on snow covered roads. I love her. Our family loves Holly.

What do you love best about your Velar (or what drives you nuts, in the interest of balance)?

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Haybrd

Re: It’s the little things...

Post by Haybrd » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:21 pm

I keep forgetting to use the winter wiper setting but haven’t had an issue with them sticking to the screen yet.

I’m with you Arianne, I said to my partner this week I’ve not had a car I love driving as much as KITT (my Velar). Given the current cold snap in the weather I’m going to be influenced by that in my choice of what I love most but the list would be a lot of things. Today though, I love the remote climate feature. To come out to a warmed, defrosted car at the moment is such a treat!

My frustration though is I can’t pre-warm my seat. The ability to do that would be amazing!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 pm

I am overall very pleased with my Velar but my Daughter bought one 3 years ago so I knew it was good and what to expect.
She has now changed to a Porsche Cayenne which is dated in many respects compared to the Velar except for the heated seats which are brilliant and this is the only very minor complaint I have with mine which will end once the weather warms up that the Velar heated seats are pathetic and take ages to give any heat at all! I really appreciate the heated steering wheel.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:59 am

Agreed. It would be fabulous if the heated seats and the heated steering wheel were both activated when remote start begins.

The seats? Occasionally, being the kind and considerate Husband that I am, I turn Mrs A’s heated seat on while travelling to pick her up (I am but Parker from Thunderbirds in my real life role). When I ask Mrs A whether her seat is warm I am told that it’s only just starting to heat up. I have concluded, Edd China style from Wheeler Dealers, that the seats need Mrs A’s pert bottom in place to enable the heat to build (let’s just read that literally guys!). Otherwise the heat loss to the cabin is too great for the seat material to be warmed?

I find the seats warm up satisfactorily and are not too slow (when someone is sitting on the seat). Level three setting will, after 5mins journey time, roast me alive.

The heated steering wheel surely must be one of the best VFM options to choose? I love the design of the steering wheel, much more so than MY21, but not the embedded metal ring. It looks fancy, Range Rover style. But it’s freezing cold and, even when the rest of the steering wheel is toasty, the ring isn’t. I have learned to hold the wheel in a peculiar way which is second nature now until the ring has eventually warmed up.

I also like the way the bottom of the door covers the door sill edges. It means that I don’t get salt, mud or snow on my trousers every time I climb into or out of the car.

And finally, good news for folk who are still learning the dance routine for the remote electronic tailgate (Safety Dance, October 1983 - to feature in this pop video a prerequisite was total and untreatable madness),

then I can confirm that it becomes second nature after.... approaching four years of ownership! I now no longer need to touch the salt encrusted button while carrying my snow shovels for the boot.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Arianne

PS. Will respond to the PM later when I have time!
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Konrad

Post by Konrad » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Can You explain how "The winter setting for the windscreen wipers" works. I turned on this feature. Unfortunately, the wipers remain in the raised position all the time, even while driving. Should the wipers not fall back into the down position while driving?

Thanks for information
Konrad