Extremely Uncomfortable Ride and Side to Side Rocking Motion on all Velars?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions

Does your Velar also showcase the "Side to Side Rocking Motion" over undulating surfaces?

Yes (Coil Springs)
6%
No (Coils Springs)
44%
Yes (Air Suspension)
6%
No (Air Suspension)
44%

Total votes: 34

LordTechPro

Re: Extremely Uncomfortable Ride and Side to Side Rocking Motion on all Velars?

Post by LordTechPro » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:06 am

drg111 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:40 am
I must say that my FE D300 on Air feels great on our regular Swiss roads. But I see where you're coming from LordTech. On weekends in the mountains I have been unpleasantly surprised by the Velar's way of dealing with the uneven surfaces and bumps and understand what you mean with the side to side rocking (or thrusting) motion. I can only agree, that they could've made a better choice for the suspensions, it being a SUV.
Yes. I believe they were severely limited in the suspension options since the Velar uses the D7a platform which (other than the F-Pace) also underpins Jaguar sedans such as the XE and XF. They are obviously geared towards offering a sportier and more exciting driving experience than other cars in their segments, and being sedans the suspension articulation isn't very important. While this may be good for sedans and sport SUVs like the Jaguar F-Pace, it is not very good for a Range Rover.

Land Rover have made changes over the F-Pace, as the Velar's suspension has more articulation (apparently even on coil springs) and is softer. The underpinnings were difficult to hide and it shows. Still the 600mm water wading capacity and the fantastic Terrain Response 2 should be more than adequate for those 1% who do take the Velar of toad. The suspension is the only limiting factor according to me, everything else is pretty much spot on.

The Velar is caught in between this strange middle ground, it's styling and stance look elegant and sporty, but the interior just blows you away for it's reductionist design and complete lack of anything even remotely "sporty". Everyone says my Velar looks like a sports SUV with the R-Dynamic pack, black roof, black alloys and an all black cabin, and I kind of understand what they mean but it doesn't want to be driven like one (even it it's capable of being driven in that manner). No wonder Land Rover calls it "The most road biased Range Rover or SUV" they have ever built, it doesn't mean much in either direction. Which is exactly why it is absolutely brilliant!
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 pm

I spent a very pleasant afternoon in a full fat Range Rover on a variety of off road and on road terrain, when I got back into my Velar it felt like an absolute sports car by comparison, the car just seemed to shrink round me and it was a pleasure to hustle up the road as opposed to the RR which felt like a barge in comparison. For on road use I much prefer the Velar set up.

Mig

Post by Mig » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:16 am

I had the same thing on my first F-Pace D180 with adaptive dynamics. Very harsh ride and I hated it. It was actually more comfortable in Dynamic mode.
On the second one without adaptive dynamics it was better but still too stiff.
I changed for a D240 Velar with air suspension and it’s so much better. The most comfortable car I ever was in.

Macan with air suspension is also good but not as comfortable as the Velar. However it’s much better in sport mode.
Velar D240 HSE
Porsche 991.1 Carrera PDK

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:07 am

Mig wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:16 am
I had the same thing on my first F-Pace D180 with adaptive dynamics. Very harsh ride and I hated it. It was actually more comfortable in Dynamic mode.
On the second one without adaptive dynamics it was better but still too stiff.
I changed for a D240 Velar with air suspension and it’s so much better. The most comfortable car I ever was in.

Macan with air suspension is also good but not as comfortable as the Velar. However it’s much better in sport mode.
Yes. Even I feel the ride is more comfortable in dynamic mode. It seems as if the coil suspension was designed as an afterthought. However, I don't think you can compare an F-Pace with the Velar. The F-Pace is tuned towards offering a slightly sportier driving experience and the Velar a more comfortable one. In fact the Velar has a bit more suspension travel than the F-Pace (even on coils), softer springs and better tuned dampers. I don't think the ride is harsh (the suspension goes about doing it's work very quietly) as it actually flattens out the odd bump or pothole very well.

The problem probably lies with the chassis and suspension choice. The reason why it feels better in dynamic mode (with stiffer dampers) is because that is how the suspension would be setup on a Jaguar XE or XF (slightly on the firmer side, to prevent body roll and bottoming out with a full load). You wouldn't want a floaty feeling when driving a sedan, but on an SUV you would. The air suspension remedies this to a certain extent as it's softer setup and self levelling capabilities go well with the super stiff chassis. However even that can only do so much because even on air I feel there is a lack of wheel articulation when compared to the lesser D8 (now PTA) steel architecture vehicles which just have more suspension travel and transmit less road imperfections to the people inside.

Still could be worse. At least the Velar handles very well and prevents me from getting motion sickness characteristic of most comfort oriented SUVs. Also, the reason why the Velar and more expensive Land Rovers/Range Rovers look so beefy when compared to the Discovery Sport, Evoque or any other majorly steel based platform is because the aluminium components need to be much thicker than the comparative steel ones.

(Side Note: What in the world is wrong with JLR, they only sell the D180 R Dynamic S and P250 R Dynamic S over here and both ride on coil springs!)
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

maitology

Post by maitology » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm

I am on air suspension and 21 inch wheels, the latter of which I regret. I get the side to side rocking on the same two patches of street every day. For me, the Velar is set up too stiff - especially with switchable air suspension, there should be a setting with a genuinely soft ride.

MarkoTC

Post by MarkoTC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:43 pm

Hey,

I'm also getting the Side to side motion in my velar p380 on 22' inch wheels. It's quite awkward sometimes...
And I agree with some people above, It's way too stiff even in comfort mode.

So I don't really understand the people saying that Velar is smooth and comfy. I'm also comparing this to my old Range Rover Sport which is in another league.
Velar 2018, P380 HSE, R-Dynamic, Santorini Black

maitology

Post by maitology » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:37 pm

I think a RR Sport will always be a smoother ride - it's heavier if nothing else. However I do feel, especially on air suspension where it can be implemented quite easily, the comfort button should mean a genuinely very soft ride.