Comfort Access: Kick open the rear boot/hatch: Software not sensor

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
SpokenHands

Comfort Access: Kick open the rear boot/hatch: Software not sensor

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:15 am

Like many other Velar drivers, I found the kick mechanism to open the rear boot very hit and miss.
Then recently, it would open suddenly even walking past the rear corners of the car!

Reported to the dealer assuming it was a failed sensor - it wasnt - they did something very interesting.

They reloaded the 'body control module software' and 're-calibrated the rear boot door'.
The kick access works every time now. Not sure how long it will last but was a good fix.
The kick has to be between the two parking sensors at the rear corner as usual.

It has also improved the operation of the activity key which was very good most of the time.
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

LordTechPro

Re: Comfort Access: Kick open the rear boot/hatch: Software not sensor

Post by LordTechPro » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Thats great! It has always worked flawlessly for me

In case anyone is wondering how to use the gesture tailgate, I found this video to be very helpful:

It works every single time now. You just make a kicking motion under thr sensors and none of that kicking about faff (which most other cars use) is required.
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Works great.

Just remember that sensor is located on the LEFT.

Move your feet along taillight.

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm

kukoc7 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm
Works great.

Just remember that sensor is located on the LEFT.

Move your feet along taillight.
Actually the "sensing point" is located on either side (LEFT and RIGHT), in line with the tail lamps and just in between the two parking sensors on the extreme end of the rear bumper.

If the fix is through software then I believe the kick to release sensors are actually using the ultrasonic parking sensors to detect movement. This would explain how some owners are reporting that walking too close to the car sometimes triggers the boot to open. A simple software update should fix most issues.
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am

Interesting :).

Maybe I got a faulty sensor on the right side of the car as it works for me only on the left.

Thanks!

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:00 am

kukoc7 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am
Maybe I got a faulty sensor on the right side of the car as it works for me only on the left.
OR a software update and re-calibration of the rear boot....
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:24 am

Another important point to note, is that the action with your foot is a "kicking" action forwards and backwards.

If you wiggle your foot under the sensor and flap about left to right, it does not open the boot. I suspect often this might be a cause of the sensor not detecting the "foot command" to open the boot.

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 am

kukoc7 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am
Interesting :).

Thanks!
Yes, you should get it fixed if you use this feature. The whole point of the sensors being located on the sides is to enable easy access to the boot from whichever side the curb is on. This way you can altogether avoid walking onto the road, access the boot from a tight parking spot and more.

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:41 am

RichWilkie wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:24 am
Another important point to note, is that the action with your foot is a "kicking" action forwards and backwards.

If you wiggle your foot under the sensor and flap about left to right, it does not open the boot. I suspect often this might be a cause of the sensor not detecting the "foot command" to open the boot.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant to say in my earlier post with the video link "none of that kicking about faff". All these reviewers on YouTube and automotive journalists just can't seem to accept something that may be different but is much easier and more robust to use. The problem with a downward facing dedicated central sensor is that their field of vision is very limited and they get easily covered by dust, mud etc (preventing them from working). This is why you need to flap your foot about about from left to right.

Land Rover got rid of the ridiculous (and dangerous if you're carrying something heavy) foot wiggling business and replaced it with one smooth kicking action. They got ridiculed by everyone who never read the instructions. They replaced buttons with a touchscreen and two physical dials, and then got mocked for it being too distracting while they heaped praises on full touchscreen systems from Audi and Volvo. Anyway I digress...

The kick to open feature is faster, more convenient (located on both sides) and safer (you won't loose your balance by wiggling your foot or swiping your foot across the air)