New Compatible Data Only SIM

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Jackbear

New Compatible Data Only SIM

Post by Jackbear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am

Hi There,

New to the forum as just in the process of buying my first Velar, 2018 D300... Pick it up next week 😬

The JLR main dealer very unknowledgeable about a number of things to do with my purchase which is frustrating to say the least, so hopefully you can assist ?

I have been advised that the data plan on the SIM will expire when the vehicle is 3 yrs old, but they can’t tell me how much to renew the data plan is ? JLR website says speak to main dealer...

Can it be extended or should I buy a data only sim from Vodafone or such ?

If so are all the main providers compatible ?

How much data does the system use ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated - Thanks !

Totem

Re: New Compatible Data Only SIM

Post by Totem » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 am

Jackbear wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am
Hi There,

New to the forum as just in the process of buying my first Velar, 2018 D300... Pick it up next week 😬

The JLR main dealer very unknowledgeable about a number of things to do with my purchase which is frustrating to say the least, so hopefully you can assist ?

I have been advised that the data plan on the SIM will expire when the vehicle is 3 yrs old, but they can’t tell me how much to renew the data plan is ? JLR website says speak to main dealer...

Can it be extended or should I buy a data only sim from Vodafone or such ?

If so are all the main providers compatible ?

How much data does the system use ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated - Thanks !
Hi and welcome,

On your model you should have a SIM card slot under the front arm rest, this takes a SIM card and will work with any data provider.

The new MY21 models are different and have an eSIM instead.
MY21 Velar HSE P400e, Eiger Grey, Light Oyster, Pano Roof, etc.
MY19 R Dynamic S P250 Byron Blue, Black Pack, Black Wheels, Contrast Pano Roof, Drive Pack, AD, Surround Cameras & Interactive Display.

Jackbear

Post by Jackbear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks Totem

Ill look at one of the data only sim packages then online. Thanks ! Appreciate the reply.

DAL

Post by DAL » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am

I use the 'Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 12 GB data SIM', working fine in my new Velar D300 HSE (collected yesterday) I moved it over from my FPACE Supercharged where these sims have been working fine for the last 3 years. I buy them on Amazon for around £33, learn from my old mistake and make sure you buy the 12 month - not 3 month version ;-)
D300 R-Dynamic, silicon silver, 22s, black contrast roof, black pack, sliding pan roof, elec deploy tow bar, secure tracker,

Jackbear

Post by Jackbear » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:44 am

That's great, thanks. I have the Three Unlimited SIM for home as we live in the wilds and no fast internet here and it works OK most of the time, appreciate the input.

Enjoy your brand new HSE... Jeals... :-)

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:00 pm

This page should be helpful for the renewal costs and process. You’ll get an email from JLR when it’s getting close to expiry in order to renew: https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/i ... index.html
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

JimH

Post by JimH » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:05 pm

https://jaguarlandrover.ubigi.com/

This is what came with mine (it's separate from InControl) - it was quite easy to open an account and "take over" the sim card (using their app connected directly to the car's wifi hotspot) and top it up with a choice of various data only plans. The advantage is that it roams across all networks, UK and European at least.....
MY2019.5 D240 SE R Dynamic - Firenze Red, Body Colour roof with fixed panoramic glass and black rails, 21" Style 5047G dark grey with diamond cut finish wheels, Heated windscreen and steering wheel, Adaptive Dynamics, Front fog lights, Privacy glass

Jackbear

Post by Jackbear » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:42 am

Thank you both, that’s really helpful, I pick the car up Thursday and when I saw it, the sat Nav did say the license was about to expire. I asked the sales guy, whom again, appeared to have no clue.... Would have thought JLR would do training on this stuff ? Or maybe he thought if he told me there was a cost to renew that would put me off...