Hybrid PHEV P400e - mileage claimed by JLR Vs Real

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
GreyPaint

Hybrid PHEV P400e - mileage claimed by JLR Vs Real

Post by GreyPaint » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 am

Hi

Interested to see people's feedback on this. I have only done around 600 miles so far and only got a 3-pin charging cable last week, so limited Electric mode, as I had only stuck the car onto charging stations twice at my local Train Station - nervous about leaving a car for 5 hours!

My thoughts;

The charging time is much more than I anticipated. With only 33 miles (Aye right) electric mode, it takes as long to charge as a complete car, by the timings. I now leave my car on overnight, so I am not checking times any more as 5 hours on an 11Kw charger seems far too much for a 17Kw battery!

The reported 33 miles is never returned as that - it varies around 22 miles. (apparently, it monitors your driving style!)

Even when in Electric mode, the mileage available falls quicker than the actual miles travelled - so running around town probably gives closer to 15 - 17 miles.

On Hybrid mode, deceleration and braking charges the battery a little. Not too much though! On an 80 mile journey, driving at 60 off motorway and 70 on the motorway, it gave around 28mpg. Much less than I expected. The remaining charge dropped from 23 to 8 miles.

On Petrol only, with a 2L engine and a 2tonne+ car, it returns around 30 mpg - depends very much on your driving and speed.

So, obviously over a much longer period and with charging at home every night and using electric for running around, then you will achieve decent consumption, but nowhere near the claims by JLR
2021 Velar P400e R-Dynamic SE, 21” diamond alloys, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel

Haybrd

Re: Hybrid PHEV P400e - mileage claimed by JLR Vs Real

Post by Haybrd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing. I’d be interested to hear if it improves (as it learns more about your style) and also from others.

The hybrid wasn’t an option when I bought mine 18 months ago but I considered it in other manufacturers. I do a lot of miles though (15k a year) so everything I read pointed me to diesel. If technology has moved on though when I look to change car in the next 1-2 years then hybrid would hopefully be an option.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:04 pm

Not exciting at all so I am pleased that I have stuck with just the liquid gold. The technology has to improve a lot before I would consider an alternative.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:31 pm

This morning, it was fully charged and showing 28 miles…
~Drove 3.8 miles in total, down to 23 miles. Also, charge now showing as 84%, rather than 100%. So, if 100% is 28, 23 is 82% - so not far off….

It also may well be that the batteries improve after a handful of charges, to their peak…. Plus if the ECU is set to calculate the miles you can travel, it may need a lot more data than I have…. However, I wouldn’t rely on the Electric as the only means, when under 5 miles to go.

I have now gotten used to plugging in at night to a 3-pin point in the garage until they can fit my proper charging point…. Although, to be honest, now I know that there is little difference in charging times, I wouldn’t have paid for it. Stick with an outside socket and a 3pin to Type2 cable and it won’t be much worse!
2021 Velar P400e R-Dynamic SE, 21” diamond alloys, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 pm

GreyPaint - did you get the Grant off the home charger - last time I looked JLR still hadn’t got the Velar P400e approved - they have got all the other PHEV’s approved. Can you delay the installation until the Velar is improved - could save you up to £ 350

The approvals are under Land Rover & Range Rover !

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... sv/preview
P400e ordered May delivery. Santorini black with options
Previous PHEV hybrids - Mercedes C350e, E350e & BMW 530e

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:54 am

I did get the grant, but it isn’t fitted yet, due to Covid. Two grants available so end cost is about £300 or £350. I think I might have chosen the Sport P400e as the Velar was missing…. Still processed as that…

The Blues

Post by The Blues » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 pm

who did you order your charger through please, I was quoted rather more than a net £350.00. And I have had the same experience of 28m when fully charged.

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 am

I ordered my charge point through Scottish Power - I am based in Scotland - and they assigned "Everwarm" to do the install.

I had £350 I think it was, taken off on order, then applied to the Energy Saving Trust, who approved a further £300 or so?

Full price £849.00
Discount OZEV Grant -£350.00
EST Grant (might be Scotland only) -£300

So, will end up costing £199

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:58 am

Update on Mileage;

Car has now done 700 miles or so. The Petrol-Only gives around 30mpg (up from about 27) running around on rural roads. The Hybrid mode on a 40-mile trip, used all of the electric charge and returned around 130mpg.

The engine does seem to have loosened up improving the range and mpg figures. The charging no so. I now charge in every night - as I don't always know whether I will use the car more than 5 or so miles the next day. I did a 160-mile visit to a dealership for a recall due to a label change (believe it or not) - it was 70% motorway and I probably got around 40 - 50 mpg overall. Difficult to keep track as you can be consumed by it. The trip computer is set to from new, as well as the current trip, so once the car has done a few thousand miles, I will get a better idea of mileage overall.

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:07 pm

I assume you've seen it, if not the Harry's Garage test on the RRS PHEV is quite interesting:

Harry makes the same point, if you're using one you really need to charge it every time you use it.