Music Hard drive missing?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Glassman

Music Hard drive missing?

Post by Glassman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi
I’ve been looking for the internal music library / hard drive, but it seems to be missing from the options screen. Is this a standard Velar feature or an option when ordering a new car? Mines a 2019 180 r dynamic s

Timrice

Re: Music Hard drive missing?

Post by Timrice » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 pm

I don’t think any of them have a hard drive.
Tim
D240HSE RD
Byron Blue

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:51 pm

I thought you could move files off a USB onto the cars hard drive but the sat nav data actually takes up most of it so it’s not really usable. No idea how it’s done though.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Glassman

Post by Glassman » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 pm

The manual refers to the stages of the menu to go through and it says there should be a music library but there isn’t anything listed as an option. I’ve been using my usb drive but it does seem a bit temperamental.

Agrad

Post by Agrad » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Glassman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm
Hi
I’ve been looking for the internal music library / hard drive, but it seems to be missing from the options screen. Is this a standard Velar feature or an option when ordering a new car? Mines a 2019 180 r dynamic s
I also thought it was possible, but it is not possible.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Glassman wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:18 pm
The manual refers to the stages of the menu to go through and it says there should be a music library but there isn’t anything listed as an option. I’ve been using my usb drive but it does seem a bit temperamental.

You have a hard drive. All of your native software is loaded onto it, including the SatNav.

There is some space remaining and you can use this space to store music files if you wish. I tried but found that it’s insufficient to store many files. I use uncompressed FLAC music files since the Meridian Surround Sound system only comes to life when fed with very high quality data. Compressed MP3 files or those transferred by Bluetooth lose their upper and lower subtle data and result in a somewhat bland, underwhelming experience for audiophiles.

The result is that I use a 128Gb USB thumb drive from Samsung. I have found that the reliability has improved considerably with the more recent software updates which can be downloaded over the air from LandRover via wireless internet (my car hops onto our BT home wireless fibre broadband network when parked on our drive near the house). The system now remembers the last music track played before shutdown and other settings (most of the time). Startup times have improved even if they’re still not lightning fast. I have a theory that the response times and stability of the ICT Pro system correlates to the amount of optional technology loaded onto each car - blind spot, 360 monitoring etc etc all consuming processing power and available RAM or hard drive capacity, as the case may be. Just a hunch and completely without any evidence to back it up other than an observation that music playback was a bit glitchy while our car was simultaneously updating the SatNav database in the background one day.

I would stick with your USB drive, taking the latest software updates if you aren’t running the very latest version. If you’re intent on using the hard drive and cannot access it then let me know on this thread and I will take some screen shots for you to compare later in the week. Of course, it may have changed since I last checked and, if you ask, I will find out one way or t’other.

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Glassman

Post by Glassman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi Arianne, Thank you for you so much for your detailed reply, I really appreciate this. My sons a bit of a techie so I’ll show him your reply and we can check for updates and I’ll continue to use the usb. I was just confused as where the manual says I should be able to see the hard drive it’s not there.