Developed new JLR remote App... Beta testers wanted!!

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
rpg951s

Developed new JLR remote App... Beta testers wanted!!

Post by rpg951s » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,

First off I'm a long-time lurker and fan of this site, thanks to everyone for making this a great source of information and guidance!

I've been working on a labour of love over the last few months - a new remote app to control your late model JLR vehicle; it's called JLR Proximity Remote
The Android app (android 10+) is ready for beta testing, I'm working on the iOS version as well.
Using the same official InControl service as the original remote application, this app adds much needed additional features such as:

- Very quick one-click triggering to lock/unlock of doors (less than 3 seconds to open app and send command - much quicker than default app)
- [Google] voice control to lock/unlock doors
- Quick action to send any address to your vehicle (sets the InControl Route destination)
- Other features are in progress (and requests are welcome!)

And finally the amazing premium feature - AUTOLOCK. Automatically unlock and lock doors based on your distance from vehicle!
As you walk to the vehicle the doors unlock (triggering the extending door handles, puddle lamps, etc.), and as you walk away they automatically lock.
This feature requires a compatible Bluetooth-LE beacon(~$15) which you program and store in your vehicle (they last about a year on a battery).
The app is silently monitoring for the vehicle-stored beacon, and triggers unlock and lock commands automatically.
Once you start using this feature, messing around with the remote or even having to touch the button and wait for the handles to extend will seem annoying as hell!
It also looks futuristic and cool as hell - our RR's impress already - this takes it to the next level ;)

All the details on the app features and setup (including videos) are here on my website: https://www.jlrproximityremote.com/

I've been developing the app for a few months now, and the android version is working great so I'm ready share with a few internal beta testers before release it to the general app store.
Ideally I'm looking for people with some tech background who understand what app testing is all about.
In addition if you're open to buying the Bluetooth-LE dongle to help test the AUTOLOCK that is ideal. Trust me you'll love this feature!

You'll get added to my internal testers list and receive a link to download the app from the google play store. Everything is free.
From there follow my videos on configuring and testing the app and give me feedback on what works, what doesn't and any suggestions you have!

If you are interested please DM here or send me an email to rpg951s@gmail.com.
Look forward to working with some of you, and for the rest stand by - I'll be releasing the app soon!

_____________________________________________________________________________-
Raagi (RPG951S)

Barachus

Re: Developed new JLR remote App... Beta testers wanted!!

Post by Barachus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Will it have remote start?
I use an iPhone so I guess I will have to wait to test it
Running constantly in the background, will that have a big battery impact?

Robby334

Post by Robby334 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:51 am

Hi Raagi! Sounds great! Any chance that you can close the boot and the windows with the app?

rpg951s

Post by rpg951s » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm

The great thing about Bluetooth-LE is the low energy usage.
In my testing the app uses less than 3% per day, even on days where I am testing the app (entering/exiting 25 times)

Other features like remote start and windows should be possible (assuming they supported by the JLR API).

@Robby334 - Please contact me via email at rpg951s@gmail.com if you'd like to be a tester.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:52 pm

I would be happy to be an iOS tester, when available. Thanks very much for your effort!
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

headpin

Post by headpin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:51 pm

Happy to test iOS version as and when. I see you are in CA. Will it be available via UK AppStore? Also will the Bluetooth LE beacon be available in the UK too? Good luck, sounds interesting.

DAL

Post by DAL » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:38 am

Likewise interested in the IOS version and in the UK. Perhaps being overly cautious as in the SW industry myself but would be good to have some details on how secure the software is and vulnerability testing etc
D300 R-Dynamic, silicon silver, 22s, black contrast roof, black pack, sliding pan roof, elec deploy tow bar, secure tracker,

kima

Post by kima » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 pm

Count me in for iOS (US). Adding to the question above, what's your data policy, and what is being shared/sold?
Also, what security protocol(s) are used - how do you test the beacon protocol isn't easy to hack and use as an entry point to the car?
Thanks!

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:20 pm

rpg951s wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm
The great thing about Bluetooth-LE is the low energy usage.
In my testing the app uses less than 3% per day, even on days where I am testing the app (entering/exiting 25 times)

Other features like remote start and windows should be possible (assuming they supported by the JLR API).

@Robby334 - Please contact me via email at rpg951s@gmail.com if you'd like to be a tester.
Remote start is definitely supported by the public APIs that are available
Assuming you are using the incontrol API

https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/ ... ion=latest