New Velar Order - Advice!

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
SouthWest_RR36

New Velar Order - Advice!

Post by SouthWest_RR36 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 am

Hi guys,

you may remember (or probably not :D ) that back in 2019 I rejected my brand new D240 SE Velar as it had a host of problems with its central control panel shutting down, speaking crackling, tailgate door refusing to open, engine air flow sensor, and then a problem with the gear box - all in all, I had it for 5 months, and I managed 3000 miles, due to it sadly being in the dealership for around 8 weeks during my ownership period. As Landrover didn't seem to be able to fix a lot of these issues, I rejected it, and was done with the brand. Until now...

I can't help but just love the car, and I know it is now in its 2nd generation, with a new infotainment system, which was the crux of many of our issues in the early day. My question is, in its current guise, in your opinions, does it feel like a "better bet" this time round - e.g. are there as many problems with the infotainment panels, speakers and the like? Scanning this forum, there doesn't seem to be, but thought I'd ask your opinions.

I am a day or so away from clicking "go" for a P250 Eiger Grey Edition Velar, with a few added extras...

Appreciate any insight you may be able to bring!

Thanks all

Chris

raven14

Re: New Velar Order - Advice!

Post by raven14 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 am

I think your best bet in terms of system stability/reliability is a MY 2019 or 2020 pre-Pivi Pro car.
I was planning on ordering a new Defender but I'm going to wait a bit until most issues with Pivi Pro are ironed out.

RRTAN

Post by RRTAN » Tue May 04, 2021 12:27 pm

I would agree with Raven14 re: the used route, and if you do go down that route try and find an ex-management car (as it will have had most of the problems dealt with - that’s what I did and I’ve not had any issues to-date).

Re: a new vehicle Pivi-Pro is still problematic and JLR contacts tell me it is not getting much better (for various reasons). Having spent 2 years consulting at JLR supporting their transformation journey (the strategic change part) change comes slowly at JLR and their reliance on in-house rather than partnering with external experts is an Achilles heel that they didn’t learn from during the tenure of the previous CEO and the ripple effect from that will take a while to dissipate.

That said I am very happy with SALY (our Velar) and hopefully she will continue to perform in her understated way until we find a replacement that ticks all the boxes (which will be a very tall order).
MY19 D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Aruba, Oyster, Sliding Panoramic, Heated everything, Privacy Glass, Tracker, Winter/Summer Tyres and alloys, (Cup Holder Cover!)

scunny1

Post by scunny1 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:16 pm

How do we know a car is an ex-management car, do they have specific number plates??? Where do we find these cars, if they are company cars are they thrashed from the first day? Still pondering to buy new or approved myself.

RRTAN

Post by RRTAN » Tue May 04, 2021 4:31 pm

Most of the Velars (up until at least the ‘69 registrations) are pre-fixed as OE, OV, OX and OY - most of the 3.0 litre diesel cars are not “thrashed” as they are only available to the LL5’s and above on the scheme (Senior Managers who get two cars) but check the wheels carefully for damage and the paintwork for chips (particularly near the boot entrance and exit).

As to where you can get them - if you know someone associated with JLR then they can access the list for you and take advantage of the “Friends and family scheme” alternatively search the JLR dealers around the West Midlands (and negotiate hard on these plates as they make a decent mark-up on them) or you can find them (occasionally on Auto-trader).
MY19 D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Aruba, Oyster, Sliding Panoramic, Heated everything, Privacy Glass, Tracker, Winter/Summer Tyres and alloys, (Cup Holder Cover!)

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Tue May 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Unless you are able to get inside information as to the previous user of the vehicle beware as the OE OV OW ex JLR vehicles could have had very differing users. Vehicles leased or loaned to daily rental Co s Hertz Avis Europecar etc , replacement vehicles for breakdowns, press fleet, driving schools and of course management and friends and family. Avoid any vehicles with registrations starting with V that are ex JLR as these are engineering hacks and test cars. Since January 2021 all JLR Co vehicles are now registered in Northampton DVLA office as the public have rumbled all the pre-reg OE OV OW cars are to boost the flagging sales numbers but not sure what difference this will make if these cars are now. KB KC KH etc !!! They are still manipulating the sales figures!! Main dealers get a choice from the disposal list first and then all the car supermarkets and various auction houses bid for them so they end up anywhere. JLR themselves will not divulge the previous user of the vehicle as they hide behind data protection.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Windsor Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Matrix LED lights , Extended leather upgrade, Meriden 825W Sound, Heated steering wheel, Tracker. USA licence plate plinths.

Pat27

Post by Pat27 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:00 pm

I had an ex JLR 3.0 R Dynamic HSE and it had more than it's fair share of problems, unfortunately as soon as one issue is sorted another came along! I loved the car but got fed up with the issues and hence I now drive a q8.

RRTAN

Post by RRTAN » Tue May 04, 2021 6:22 pm

All fair comments from @spencerwilks and @pat27 - as with all things in life: “caveat emptor”!

scunny1

Post by scunny1 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up. That is probably why I noticed quite a few cars with non local DVLA plates at my nearby dealerships.

IanK

Post by IanK » Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am

Mine's an OV plate ex JLR car, 6 mths old when I bought it - no problems at all in 2.5yrs.
Ian K

P300 R-Dynamic SE