Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Adblue warning

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fenton 
#1 ·
The first I knew about adblue being low was a dash red notice saying power restricted. Should there have been a specific adblue refill or top up notice. I was left on a motorway with very limited power.

#3 ·
That's bad.

Have you checked the User Manual?
There should have been some messages giving plenty of warning.
If there weren't any then complain to the Dealer.

I realise the emanual is rubbish for searching but look at this page and scroll down.
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/3B/2020/T19950/35215_en_GBR/proc/G2224443

"The first message is accompanied by a WHITE warning icon, states that the DEF level is low, and indicates the distance remaining until the DEF tank is empty."
etc.

My old Evoque gave very early warnings. Sadly, during last year's lockdown, it didn't warn me about the DPF and I got a £1700 bill for a replacement so be careful.

#5 ·
The adblue warning counts down from about 700 miles (I think), and comes on every time you start the car. I can't believe it wouldn't have warned you if that's really the issue. It even tells you how many litres to put in.

Are you sure the restricted power isn't something else? I have had that several times in my D300 when booting it and it goes into a kind of limp mode then next time I start it it's fine. I've had three parts on the turbo replaced under warranty in the last six months on 3 separate occasions (turbo solenoid bits).

Also just had both front wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 33k miles (and a full set of discs & pads but had to pay for those..!)

#12 ·
That's what I thought.
Whilst waiting for lunch you could search YouTube for O'Rileys Autos and watch Jimmy cleaning 100 Landrover DPFs.
Mostly Evoques and Disco Sports.
In many cases he shows the the Adblue (DEF) injector blocked with crystallised chemical.
AND he'll show the DTC codes that pop up.
It's fixed to the DPF and doesn't require any really fancy tools to get out.

He's experienced and it takes him about 15 minutes.
That'll probably equate to 3 hours at a JLR dealership ;)

Rule No.1 : if going to a Landrover dealership for diagnosis have a huge pinch of salt ready.
I've had my fingers burnt with diagnosis from the 'Computer says' generation technician.

Knowledge is power - watch O'Riley.
And thanks to Jimmy we are all experts.