Finalising the spec for lock down! Help!?!?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
mavg1986

Finalising the spec for lock down! Help!?!?

Post by mavg1986 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks, need to work out whether it is worth it paying an extra £6k to upgrade from my build S D180 to a SE R-Dynamic P300....

Spec wise the D180 will have all the toys I want and the style 5047 alloys I like (I have spec'd the optional sliding pan roof, driver display, better sound system), so basically a SE spec.

To jump to SE it will cost me an extra £4k which I am struggling to justify to get the same spec almost (bar the driver assistance). The dynamic on P300 is nice because of the exhaust tips...but that's £6k...

Which gets it close to the HSE which is another £8.5k or so on top of my S.

Sensibly I get all I need on the S...i could stretch to the other ones but not sure it will add much hence being a difficult decision.

Finally, I am most likely changing my colour scheme from corris grey with black roof to carpathian grey with body coloured roof, it seems that it fits the Velar very nicely the colour and it looks stunning (in pictures)...good idea?

My current spec below:

Velar S
21 5047 alloys
Pan roof
Surround sound 825w
Privacy glass
Interactive driver display
Configurable ambient light
Iphone and charge dock
Side window sunshade
Colour: corris grey with black roof (but changing to carpathian grey)

I haven't seen a carpathian non rdynamic with the 5047 wheels hence the decision being tricky at the moment

Any comments on the above?? Every little helps...

Arianne

Re: Finalising the spec for lock down! Help!?!?

Post by Arianne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 am

Hello mavg1986’

These things are deeply personal but here’s my contribution, since you ask.

It seems to me that there are two different issues that need resolution here. The first is the engine and the second are the options. They are linked but I think they are best initially split out (if you’re going to eat an elephant best do it in bite sized chunks).

Engine. Those are two very different engines you are considering. I always think the engine is one of the most important things. Long after the initial joy of the toys with their flashing lights, ringtones and buttons has faded, you are left with the fundamental truth about all cars - the core driving experience of which a wise choice of engine is paramount. So my advice is to start with being sure about the engine. Are you happy with either engine or is one more compelling than the other?

Options. Of course, few people enjoy sitting in a base car - even if it has a fabulous engine under the bonnet. I chose the S trim as my starting point and then custom built my car up from there. The SE and HSE came with lots of things that I didn’t want or need, except the badge! So I ticked the box to have the badge removed instead, saved myself money on the wrong package for me and spent my pennies on building the car I really wanted.

Now a word of caution on this approach. Residuals on PCP write off almost 100% of the cost of all options and so this can be a pretty expensive indulgence. However, if like me you buy your cars, then it’s not so painful. When the time comes to sell Holly on (that’s her name), I will do so privately and the options list will pull people in. I have done this before and it works well for me.

So now I have the engine I want (D300) and the toys I want (lots of things that I really value every day) at a price I could afford because I started with the S trim. I did lots of cross comparison on the configurator with the SE and HSE as a base car and then adding my essential options. But it still emerged as more expensive and then I wouldn’t get the car I truly wanted either. Just the badge!

I hope that helps? Oh, just one thing...... don’t forget the essential cup holder cover! Follow this link and you will see images of it, my car in Corris Grey with your preferred 21” wheels (I think) and details of how to order your cover from the guy that makes them. At £28 it’s the cheapest option you can choose.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=445

Best wishes,

Arianne

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 am

The S, SE, HSE give you a discount on their included options of ≈10%. If you choose the options you want and find the same price as the next package, it is worth to take the next higher package and enjoy the options that come as a discount. If your options stay below the next higher package you skip it.

D180 and P300 are so extremely different engines that you got me wondering how you compare them. Are you sure you didn't mean D300? You want a diesel or petrol? You care for consumption? You care for the price obviously. You care for acceleration? You care for engine sound? You care for the environment and health? If you answer these questions to yourself, you should end up with the engine you need.

velofixed

Post by velofixed » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 am

Agree with Arianne - SE/ HSE only make sense if it includes the options you want and your on a PCP or lease. Otherwise better speccing it out from S. Seems a lot of the options you want aren't included even in HSE (eg pan roof) so prob better with that route.
P250 R-Dynamic SE

mavg1986

Post by mavg1986 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks all very informative and helpful.

Basically On the day to day I dont use the car much, I have an electric car for commuting hence this is a weekend car + for long journeys.... with this in mind it is difficult to decide on the engine (at least I find that).

My weekend use is about 10-15 miles per day, about 2000 miles per year.

My long journeys tend to be "long" by all standards, over 600-800 miles each way, about once/twice a year.

This is basically the use I will have. I will not PCP but do care for residuals as the amount left will pit me in the next car in the future.

I am sold on the panoramic roof, ambient light and thhe 21 alloys (thanks Arianne) and I think Carpathian will be the colour with standard roof.

Now it is just the case of deciding the engine...I agree it is a big part of the car, but it is a difficult one due to the very mixed use I have for the car....

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm

carpathian grey, black roof, black pack and 21 inch wheels - very happy - Batmobile receives favourable comments when out - enjoy

31A4F78C-16B4-49F7-AC2F-6C747065683A.jpeg

theblob

Post by theblob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Batman wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 pm
carpathian grey, black roof, black pack and 21 inch wheels - very happy - Batmobile receives favourable comments when out - enjoy
Are those the glossy black finish rims?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes they are gloss black wheels to match roof and black detailing

theblob

Post by theblob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Batman wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm
Yes they are gloss black wheels to match roof and black detailing
I was debating between the 20" 7 spokes gloss back wheels and this one. They look great in these pics. I think I'm going with these 21" wheels now. I am just a bit concerned with the ride quality because it's bigger.

mavg1986

Post by mavg1986 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Crazily enough, I think I've finalised the spec, any comments noting my use?

Velar SE P250
Sliding Panoramic roof
Colour: Carpathian Grey
Interior: Light Oyster Perforated Grained Leather and Ebony Suedecloth
Privacy Glass
Wheels: 21" 5 split spoke "Style 5047"
Heated steering wheel
Configurable Ambient Internal Light
Side windows sunshade

Mavg1986

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”