All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Milky400

Re: Seat comfort

Post by Milky400 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:56 am

Not noticed any issues at all with ours and I’m 6”

quig451

Post by quig451 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

It’s been about six weeks since I posted above. The seats seem to be better now, although they are certainly not as comfortable or soft as I would’ve hoped. As a true performance car seat, they are probably perfect, however I want them to be more luxurious. I have found the right positioning for my 20 way driver seat, so that helps quite a bit as I’v found my sweet spot. It’s worth noting that my wife does not have the same feeling.
Velar MY2018, Fuji White, P380 HSE, R-Dynamic, Black Pack

John G

Post by John G » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:44 pm

David136 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm
Hi. I have an R-Dynamic SE with standard leather seats. The drivers seat has a “hard lump” on the left side towards the back. It causes a pain in my leg after driving for any longer than about 40 minuets. Anyone else having any seat comfort issues?
I have had the exact same issue. I just leased a 2018 Velar S and I find the sides of the bucket seats to be extremely uncomfortable after driving for a half hour. I have pain in both legs from the hard sides. I am 6'4" and weigh about 205 lbs. Did you get a resolution to this issue?

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm

I have been on a months-long crossover search to replace my 2016 Audi Q5 in main part due to leg and hip pain from the high seat bolsters on the S-Line's sport seats. I've looked at most of the competition: Audi (the new Q5 with non-sport seats), Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, Lincoln Nautilus, and others, but none of them suited for one reason or another.

I was contemplating the F-Pace (the 4-cylinders as the V6 comes only with sports seats), but then last month I got a free upgrade on a rental to the Velar and I found it's seats to be the most comfortable I ever felt. It has most of what I liked about the F-Pace plus some nice extras like being able to get the V6 without harsh seats.

I'm putting in a factory order for the premium textile seats that, based on a test drive, I think are even more comfortable than the leather seats I rented for a week.

I sure hope there isn't something I missed about those seats!

(Note: I'm on the short side, only 5'7", so maybe that influences how the seat hits me.)
On order: MY19.5 R-Dynamic P380 HSE, Kaikoura Stone, Black Contrast Roof, Light Oyster/Dapple Grey Premium Textile Seating, lotsa other stuff. Est. build date 7 Dec 2018, delivery date 18 Jan 2019.

rstratfo

Post by rstratfo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm

I’m 6’5” and don’t have any issues, even when driving for 2+ hours without a break.

Rainman

Post by Rainman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:59 am

I started to get back ache after about 30 mins in mine. My usual seat position is quite reclined.
I looked on the internet, and the most common advise is to adopt a more upright seating position (100 degrees) with the seat closer to the steering wheel, so your shoulders are in contact with the seat back.
This seems to have helped, but have yet to do a journey much beyond 1hr.
2018 Velar D180 S Narvik Black with toys added.
2012 Range Rover L322 4.4 Westminster

Matty

Post by Matty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 am

How do the standard seats in an R-Dynamic SE compare to Audi’s S-Line sports seats? I currently have a 2014 A6 Black Edition and find those seats really comfortable.
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Matty wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 am
How do the standard seats in an R-Dynamic SE compare to Audi’s S-Line sports seats? I currently have a 2014 A6 Black Edition and find those seats really comfortable.
Matty, I find that seat comfort is incredibly particular to the person. The main difference is that the Audi seats (they may well be the same as the ones you have) are a little narrower, the seat bolsters are higher and the hard black plastic frame that the cushions are built into come up a little higher. Also, there's a difference in where the rise in the seat bolsters take place. In my Audi seats they are higher in the back near the hips. In the Velar they are higher in the front near the thighs. This means that -- to me -- there is a subtle but persistent upward pressure on my left hip joint which is fine for a while but after about a half hour leads to a dull ache. And on a long drive leads to severe pain. But I've only met a few people who have the same problem with those seats (though I have met a few). Most find them incredibly comfortable and supportive.

The Velar seats work so well for me because they are a bit wider, the bolster rise is minor at the back, the plastic frame is lower, they are a bit softer, and their shape just suits my particular body better. I find they hold me just as well in turns, with the grip a little stronger from the back bolsters and a little less so from the seat bolsters.

Again, I'm not saying the Velar seats are better, only better for me.
On order: MY19.5 R-Dynamic P380 HSE, Kaikoura Stone, Black Contrast Roof, Light Oyster/Dapple Grey Premium Textile Seating, lotsa other stuff. Est. build date 7 Dec 2018, delivery date 18 Jan 2019.

Matty

Post by Matty » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Gurgeh wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:42 pm
Matty wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 am
Matty, I find that seat comfort is incredibly particular to the person. The main difference is that the Audi seats (they may well be the same as the ones you have) are a little narrower, the seat bolsters are higher and the hard black plastic frame that the cushions are built into come up a little higher. Also, there's a difference in where the rise in the seat bolsters take place. In my Audi seats they are higher in the back near the hips. In the Velar they are higher in the front near the thighs. This means that -- to me -- there is a subtle but persistent upward pressure on my left hip joint which is fine for a while but after about a half hour leads to a dull ache. And on a long drive leads to severe pain. But I've only met a few people who have the same problem with those seats (though I have met a few). Most find them incredibly comfortable and supportive.

The Velar seats work so well for me because they are a bit wider, the bolster rise is minor at the back, the plastic frame is lower, they are a bit softer, and their shape just suits my particular body better. I find they hold me just as well in turns, with the grip a little stronger from the back bolsters and a little less so from the seat bolsters.

Again, I'm not saying the Velar seats are better, only better for me.
Thank you for the detailed response, very insightful.
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Matty, one more thing. I can cope with the standard Audi seats (though they are a bit narrow) which have much shorter seat bolsters, but not their sport seats (like I have in my 2016 Q5). I found the same issue with the F-Pace seats, which was annoying because to get JLR's sweet supercharged V6 3.0 engine one had to buy the car's S sports trim, which only comes with those sport seats. I was glad, therefore, to find the Velar.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”