Seat comfort

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
smiley6180

Re: Seat comfort

Post by smiley6180 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:33 pm

I too find the leather seats very uncomfortable. Between the very hard sides and the lump in the back, I find myself having to adjust constantly. I am also 6ft @250lbs. Right now my only solution is to use a seat cushion to prevent my thighs from sitting over the sides. I am looking into getting a custom seat cover made that will add additional padding in the middle of the seat, to replicate the seat cushions current job, and to reduce the lump in the back. As an extreme measure I am also looking into replacing the drivers seat all together, perhaps the suede is a better option?! This was not a cheap vehicle, and it is a shame that I can not enjoy it fully.

J77

Post by J77 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Seats feel comfortable to me
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

Tigers2017

Re: D240 Velar driver Seat discomfort

Post by Tigers2017 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 am

My Velar D240 S is some 6 months old since pick up in March 2018, & around 3 months ago, i have have had a lot of discomfort whilst driving, with sides of the seat pushing hard to my pelvis/buttocks. It is extremely discomforting, to the point i have to add cushioning to lift me up around 25mm or 1", but this still does not fix the issue.

I have reported it to my local RR dealer, but with no luck from them, as they say that they could find any issue, or that they as an individual was not able to sense the same issue as i do.

I am a tall 6'-3" & approx 220lbs (190cm - 100kg), with not so large a bottom.

The seats are10 Way RHF Mem/Heat/Cool.
I am wondering if the seat has changed due to usage of the heated setting??

My biggest disappointment here, is that for a car at approx $100k Australian, i would off expected better, given i upgraded from a Korean SUV, that was more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, the Velar is a hell of a lot better as a SUV, but drivers comfort will make it that more an enjoyable driving experience.

My writing here is to know if there are others with a same issue......

i look forward to your replies .

smooshieface

Post by smooshieface » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

quig451 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm
It’s been about six weeks since I posted above. The seats seem to be better now, although they are certainly not as comfortable or soft as I would’ve hoped. As a true performance car seat, they are probably perfect, however I want them to be more luxurious. I have found the right positioning for my 20 way driver seat, so that helps quite a bit as I’v found my sweet spot. It’s worth noting that my wife does not have the same feeling.

Hi Quiq451

I am struggling with seat comfort on my D300 HSE. For me the back of the bottom side bolsters dig into my butt. The car has less thank 1000 klms on it and I am hoping like you they will get better with time. Any tips on the positioning of your 20 way seats?
I went to the dealer yesterday and sat in another HSE which felt a lot better to me but the dealer did said they not feel any difference between miner and the other HSE. Maybe I'm dreaming but this is a really annoying thing that is making long drives something I dread as opposed to something I should enjoy. I have never experienced uncomfortable seats before in any other car, from the racing style seats in my cayenne its to the broader style seats in my Q7. This seat issue and the quality of the meridian 825W sound system are my only real issues with the car, and whilst I can live with the low quality sound I can't live with pain from driving.

Any help appreciated

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am

smooshieface wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm
quig451 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm
It’s been about six weeks since I posted above. The seats seem to be better now, although they are certainly not as comfortable or soft as I would’ve hoped. As a true performance car seat, they are probably perfect, however I want them to be more luxurious. I have found the right positioning for my 20 way driver seat, so that helps quite a bit as I’v found my sweet spot. It’s worth noting that my wife does not have the same feeling.

Hi Quiq451

I am struggling with seat comfort on my D300 HSE. For me the back of the bottom side bolsters dig into my butt. The car has less thank 1000 klms on it and I am hoping like you they will get better with time. Any tips on the positioning of your 20 way seats?
I went to the dealer yesterday and sat in another HSE which felt a lot better to me but the dealer did said they not feel any difference between miner and the other HSE. Maybe I'm dreaming but this is a really annoying thing that is making long drives something I dread as opposed to something I should enjoy. I have never experienced uncomfortable seats before in any other car, from the racing style seats in my cayenne its to the broader style seats in my Q7. This seat issue and the quality of the meridian 825W sound system are my only real issues with the car, and whilst I can live with the low quality sound I can't live with pain from driving.

Any help appreciated
Having driven numerous cars, the mistake I have made on a few of them was trying to keep the seat adjustment similar on all of them, (i.e certain height, same distance from the wheel etc.) and have then wondered why my normal/typical settings don't feel as comfortable in some cars compared to others. I am currently in a VW Touareg waiting for my Velar to be delivered in November. I get sciatica when my seat is misadjusted and recently spent some time scrapping my perceived seat settings and starting from scratch. It has made a tremendous difference to my comfort. So perhaps a similar approach will work for you?

Tigers2017

Post by Tigers2017 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 pm

I too am considering a cushion, but you don't buy a premium car like a Velar to then buy a cushion, unless it is available as an option accessory. I would rather go back to a lesser car to have comfort than to have a cushion that will block off benefit of heated seats.

I believe this is an iss for RR, but there are not enough customers highlighting there complaints.

I am trying again to bring this to RR attention, & to see what options they are prepared to offer.

smooshieface

Post by smooshieface » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help so far.
I wanted to share with you an update.
Taking onboard RichWilkie and quig451's comments I booked an appointment with a Chiropractor who came out an worked with me on my seat position.
Best thing I could have done.
My drivers seat is now much much better, and I realised that as Richwilkie said I thought I knew roughly how to setup up these velar seats as I had never had a problem setting up a drivers seat before, but I was mistaken.

I thought I would share my settings in the aid it may help someone.

Back of seat approx 110 degrees, not completely vertical but almost.
Base of seat (this was the most important for me) front of base of seat as far down as possible and back of base of seat as high as possible so my thighs are dead straight or almost slightly angled towards the floor.
When setting like this my lower back fits snugly in the join between the bottom and top seats.
I have HSE seats and a good way to tell the positioning is the lowest massage point on the top seat is clearly felt in lower back
position of the entire seat is determined by keeping my thighs in the nearly horizontal position mentioned above.

so so much better for me.
The Velar is a beautiful and highly configurable car with Phase 5 coming to Australia and now my seats sorted I can truly start to enjoy this amazing machine.
Coming from Porsche and Audi the transition is not so smooth.
But hang in there it is well worth it

regards

The Smoosh

RichWilkie

Post by RichWilkie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 am

Glad you have found a solution, sometimes, it really does help to park preconceived ideas and start again. I certainly will take the time to work on the best seat setting for myself in the Velar rather than thinking I know how to do it.

The setting given by your chiropractor seem to make sense particularly regarding the front of the seat being lower than the rear and a more upright back. I used to have a more reclined seating position in previous vehicles and those settings are no longer comfortable.

smooshieface wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help so far.
I wanted to share with you an update.
Taking onboard RichWilkie and quig451's comments I booked an appointment with a Chiropractor who came out an worked with me on my seat position.
Best thing I could have done.
My drivers seat is now much much better, and I realised that as Richwilkie said I thought I knew roughly how to setup up these velar seats as I had never had a problem setting up a drivers seat before, but I was mistaken.

I thought I would share my settings in the aid it may help someone.

Back of seat approx 110 degrees, not completely vertical but almost.
Base of seat (this was the most important for me) front of base of seat as far down as possible and back of base of seat as high as possible so my thighs are dead straight or almost slightly angled towards the floor.
When setting like this my lower back fits snugly in the join between the bottom and top seats.
I have HSE seats and a good way to tell the positioning is the lowest massage point on the top seat is clearly felt in lower back
position of the entire seat is determined by keeping my thighs in the nearly horizontal position mentioned above.

so so much better for me.
The Velar is a beautiful and highly configurable car with Phase 5 coming to Australia and now my seats sorted I can truly start to enjoy this amazing machine.
Coming from Porsche and Audi the transition is not so smooth.
But hang in there it is well worth it

regards

The Smoosh

B4rnst4ble

Post by B4rnst4ble » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:47 pm

My se has just been into the dealers for a week due to all the seats sagging and being able to feel the body of the seat through it
All seat bases changed and still the same problem
Jlr are aware there is a design issue but it could take until January to sort !

smiley6180

Post by smiley6180 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm

So I just had the extremely hard foam removed and softer memory foam inserted to replace it on the bolsters for the drive seat. Wow what a difference! No more pain in my legs or back. Took it to an Upholstery and they were able to replace the foam and maintain the look of the seat. Only cost $200 USD. Money well spent. It's just a shame it had to be done at all.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”