Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Very Disappointed...Issues...Defrost??

14K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  P380NarvikEclipse 
#1 ·
Hello all, I bought a Velar in October in Indianapolis, IN. I traded in an Audi Q7 and I have to say after having the car 2 months...I miss my Q7 and having buyers remorse. I read another person's post about the new RR sport having the same interior and thought...Exactly, why buy a tiny velar when you can have the Same thing but a bit bigger for the same price?? That was a little disrespectful from Land Rover to all of it's Velar buyers.

The weather in Indiana was 1 degree when I woke up for work yesterday. I have had issues with the defrost and the windows fogging up before but now this car is completely unsafe to drive in the winter. The windows don't just fog up and become cloudy, they literally freeze and frost covers the window completely. I drove the car two hours to a resort for the weekend and had to stop 2 times to clear the frost from the windows. The other times I rolled the windows up and down and froze so I could make turns and see the road clearly. My wife and daughter were in the car and shared in the horrific experience.

As I tried to look for solutions I came across this forum. I have had other issues where the volume didn't work in my car for half the day a few weeks back. That's right, no radio, no nothing...the sound just refused to come on in the car. The touch screen is often difficult to navigate when driving and I do miss the Audi MMS. Getting through the Sirius XM channels is not convenient either. Sure you can set favorites but getting from 14 to 100 is a daunting task hitting the arrow 86 times.

I too was impressed by the look and feel of the velar but this car is completely unsafe to drive in the winter and I can potentially see myself in dangerous positions if the defrost issue is not resolved. The dealer I used responded very quick during the sales process but now hasn't responded in a few days time. It is the holidays but a quick 'get back to you soon' is not out of order I believe. This may be the quickest turn around on a car I've ever bought. I have attached some photos but will add more later if I can decrease the file sizes.

I hope they come up with a fix because this car is seriously flawed and unsafe with this issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There is a topic on this and much discussion already started. Also an interim solution that the dealer can provide, I have pictures just like that and the interim fix has worked for about a month now. Waiting for the actual parts to arrive. It took less than one hour to accomplish.

#5 ·
Wow didn't realise it was that bad. Mine doesn't suffer at all.

As above, air con on?

#6 ·
I don't get it, what's the issue? Does the defrost not come on? Is it on but weak? I don't live in a cold climate, so this isn't relevant to me...just curious. seems odd.

Ive had the windows fog up and the defrost seems to take care of that reasonably well.

#7 ·
I have tried it all, max defrost clears the front shield and partial front windows. The rear windows you cant even see at all. I wil be stopping by the dealer this afternoon. I hope they have a fix. Maybe something is wrong with the ac unit. I am heading back in town from vacation and will give an update.

Also the app has had several issues as well. Being in the country with low to no cellular connection makes the app useless. Remote start from the key fob be nice.

#9 ·
I too was suffering from this exact issue. I contacted my dealer in Chicago and they ordered a part for the heating/cooling system. They installed the part, reconnected tubing that was delivered as disconnected, replaced the filter to take care of musty smell and installed a system update for the heating/cooling system. This took about a day to do and the car was delivered with a perfectly operating heating/cooling system with no more window fogging! So hang in there, there is a solution.

#10 ·
wonzfy said:
gbriz said:
Hello all, I bought a Velar in October in Indianapolis, IN. I traded in an Audi Q7 and I have to say after having the car 2 months...I miss my Q7 and having buyers remorse. I read another person's post about the new RR sport having the same interior and thought...Exactly, why buy a tiny velar when you can have the Same thing but a bit bigger for the same price?? That was a little disrespectful from Land Rover to all of it's Velar buyers.

The weather in Indiana was 1 degree when I woke up for work yesterday. I have had issues with the defrost and the windows fogging up before but now this car is completely unsafe to drive in the winter. The windows don't just fog up and become cloudy, they literally freeze and frost covers the window completely. I drove the car two hours to a resort for the weekend and had to stop 2 times to clear the frost from the windows. The other times I rolled the windows up and down and froze so I could make turns and see the road clearly. My wife and daughter were in the car and shared in the horrific experience.

As I tried to look for solutions I came across this forum. I have had other issues where the volume didn't work in my car for half the day a few weeks back. That's right, no radio, no nothing...the sound just refused to come on in the car. The touch screen is often difficult to navigate when driving and I do miss the Audi MMS. Getting through the Sirius XM channels is not convenient either. Sure you can set favorites but getting from 14 to 100 is a daunting task hitting the arrow 86 times.

I too was impressed by the look and feel of the velar but this car is completely unsafe to drive in the winter and I can potentially see myself in dangerous positions if the defrost issue is not resolved. The dealer I used responded very quick during the sales process but now hasn't responded in a few days time. It is the holidays but a quick 'get back to you soon' is not out of order I believe. This may be the quickest turn around on a car I've ever bought. I have attached some photos but will add more later if I can decrease the file sizes.

I hope they come up with a fix because this car is seriously flawed and unsafe with this issue.
I too was suffering from this exact issue. I contacted my dealer in Chicago and they ordered a part for the heating/cooling system. They installed the part, reconnected tubing that was delivered as disconnected, replaced the filter to take care of musty smell and installed a system update for the heating/cooling system. This took about a day to do and the car was delivered with a perfectly operating heating/cooling system with no more window fogging! So hang in there, there is a solution.
I am also in Chicago and just took my Velar in 2 days ago. The dealer performed a temp fix(opening up the valve to continually let outside air in), which proved to be temporary since it worked ok when I left the dealer for that night but now it's back to fogging up fairly quickly after driving for about 10 minutes. The dealer told me there is no actual "fix" or "part" that needs to be repaired because Land Rover is still trying to figure out the issue but from your experience it looks like they ordered a part for your Velar. What dealer in Chicago did you purchase from?

#12 ·
Dobbler said:
wonzfy said:
gbriz said:

I am also in Chicago and just took my Velar in 2 days ago. The dealer performed a temp fix(opening up the valve to continually let outside air in), which proved to be temporary since it worked ok when I left the dealer for that night but now it's back to fogging up fairly quickly after driving for about 10 minutes. The dealer told me there is no actual "fix" or "part" that needs to be repaired because Land Rover is still trying to figure out the issue but from your experience it looks like they ordered a part for your Velar. What dealer in Chicago did you purchase from?
I purchased mine at Howard Orloff Land Rover. I have been driving my Velar since they fixed the fogging issue and have not had any issues with fogging at all -- the issue is 100% gone even with the recent sub zero temps here (I don't even have to use the recirculation feature or switch on A/C anymore to remove fogging).

#14 ·
Same problem here (Washington)...I purchased my Velar in December. I took the car into service today and the service adviser said this was their first Velar with this problem. Luckily it has been dry, so fogging has not been too bad (but still annoying). I assume once the PNW rain returns or if I drive to the mountains, it will get worse.

#15 ·
I purchased in Indianapolis (Tom Wood). I just got the car back today. Seemed to be fine on the drive home (25 minutes). Still cold and no frost so the fix seemed to work. They said it was a software update which sounds like the fix you got. Allowing air to enter and circulate inside the vehicle opposed to being closed. Makes a huge difference being able to see. Having a rental for 2 days made me appreciate the Velar when getting it back but hopefully the issue will be resolved. they tried scheduling me 2 weeks out but had to show up unannounced to swap cars as it was too dangerous to drive the vehicle. They gave me a rental no charge.

The salesman who sold me the car moved out of state so that is why I got no response from emails and text. I may have been his last customer. Only had the car 2 months. Anyway I will see in the morning how the windows are.

Thanks for all the responses and the help. Great forum.

#16 ·
Hey Gbriz I'm at the dealer now and same issues with the defogger it's unbelievable picked up the truck 2 weeks ago drove it that night and it started to happen so went back to the dealer the next day and what was explained was some BS that there's a cleaner that needs to evaporate of the windows and it should go away with time to recirculating air inside the cab, That didn't work!!!! and haven't Drove it because of the hazard of not seeing ,my wife was so upset, so the dealer is doing the update now, can't make it up, I will update all on if this goes away. For the price of this truck you should hit a button and genie come out of the glove box and blow on the windows and defrost everything

#17 ·
Defrost nightmares... Two month old vehicle. Took on ski road trip... -10 degrees. Side windows iced on inside.,..couldn't see to change lanes!!! My teenagers took turns scrapping the inside of the vehicle. Was so excited about this car. In for "update"...at repair shop. Seriously concerned I made wrong choice

#18 ·
have my velar 7 weeks and its been in the shop 3 of them. Major issue with the defogger that was supposedly updated at the service center but still have the problem and it is hazardous in the rain and humidity. Not sure if it will be able to be fixed. Such a shame so many issues with his vehicle

#19 ·
The defrost issue is under N143 service action in Topix and is a recall that took my dealer a day to fix about 6 months ago. I would go to a different dealer if yours can't follow the direction. There's a whole thread on this.

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=571

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.