Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Test drive

10K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  DangerMouseUK 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've managed to get a 48hr test drive of a D300 HSE Dynamic and just had a couple of quick questions,

1) For the internet browser & Live thing I'm assuming you need a sim ? Or can you use your phone, via a hotspot ?
2) when I unlock the car from the drivers side only that side opens ( handles deploy ), yet if I unlock from the passenger side all handles come out, is there something in the settings etc ? Or is there a problem with it ?
3) Does anyone know if there's going to be a MY 18.5 or do you think it'll go straight to MY19 ? Need to decide when to push the button,
4) Anyone have any thoughts on the laser LED lights, worth it or not ? ( the demo has the normal matrix ones I think )

First impressions are very good, the ride is more or less the same as my sport although I think the seats are way better &#x1f44d-1f3fb;, some very nice touches, just need to get used to the lower driving position which won't be a deal breaker :D
Might have to amend my build a bit, demo has HUD which I'm loving :roll:

#2 ·
Evening.

1) as far as I know it will work via a hotspot, but you'll need to connect it every time. Data SIM's are cheap. Mine was £40 for 25gb over 24 months. There is however an issue with live services which a update is due this month.

2) not sure, haven't really noticed however I think all mine open but sure there's a setting somewhere.

3) pass, cannot see a need for an 18.5 so early into its life... evoque and sport are next.

4) I have standard and the are more than adequate, huge improvement in the evoque's xenon shite

Overall we absolutely love ours, we have a couple of niggles but all will be dealt with when update comes. It's a million miles ahead of the evoque, cannot comment on the sport however I felt the sport looked really dated when Parked next to the Velar.

Strangely I found the HUD really irritating so turned it off in the demo we had, hence wasn't on my must haves.

Do it and never look back.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the sim, if I do go for it I'll definitely look into one, I think I'll turn off the HUD just to see if I'll miss it, that'll save a few £'s :D, re the MY I think when the sport was launched they had 6 month updates ? Thought they might do the same?

#4 ·
2) you have two stage unlocking activated. You can untick that within the instrument panel setting vehicle settings or convenience features. Then when open car all doors open.

4) couple of forum members had them said wonderful. I have normal matrix leds and they pretty awsome And bright enough for me

#5 ·
Managed to sus it out earlier yip-man, but many thanks for the info anyway, as for the "normal" matrix LED, I'm inclined to agree with you, more than bright enough, a vast improvement on my zenons

#6 ·
Well, after the test drive and a lot of searching out reviews etc, I've decided to get myself into a Velar. Been playing around on the configurator far too much, but think I've finally come to my ideal spec, HSE Dynamic 300D, with a few options, just got to find the right dealer with the most favourable discounts and build slots, a general enquiry has got me 5% but a low price on my PX, so will have a shop around.
Any recommendations around the London area? What are realistic savings at the moment (%) giving the current climate ?
Any feedback is most welcome.

#7 ·
More than what there were !

Up to about 5% with a decent PX price maybe a bit more seems to be the advertised going rate right now with a more attractive finance rate.

If you are willing to settle on one of the stock cars that are floating about - stick a few more percent on that figure!

As for London dealerships there are two Lookers (West London and Battersea) and Rockar over in East London.

Oh almost forgot Spire are about to open a new Jag/LandRover centre in Watford on Monday I think so there's another option!

If you want a contact at any of them let me know and I'll hook you up!

BTW that's not an endorsement of any of them just stating who's where :)

#8 ·
I sold the the evoque through Motorway. They offered a free grand more than the dealer and we buy any car. Car was sold to Lancaster's via motorway, really smooth transaction. Dropped car of at local Lancaster Aston Martin and fianance cleared and payment received within a couple of hours

As for dealers, can only comment on the great service I have always received from Robin Angell at Marshall Cambridge (if you're based not the London)

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Was trying to avoid west London lookers, had poor experiences with them, but the spires Watford one might be worth a look, often pass it and was wondering when it was going to open? Been offered over £2 and a half K more than the part ex offered at lookers Chipperfield by WBAC, I know "we buy" try and knock you down, but that was for a base spec car so hopefully their price is not too far off?, only problem is it depends on build times as got to keep it til it's delivered so price might go down a bit?

#11 ·
Thanks Milky400, just tried it and same sort of price as WBAC, just got see what other deals can be done at the dealers (depending on build slots) otherwise might go that route nearer the time.
Spec wise, has anyone found anything they wish they specced or didn't ? I think I've got the " must haves" (for me anyway) like the heated steering wheel, but was wondering about the timed climate, (I assume you can start it anytime from your phone ?) and I think I've decided on the HUD as found it really useful, just worried as I tend to wear polarised sun glasses and from past experiences found they made it harder to see, didn't try them in the demo I had 🙄

#12 ·
Yeah I use motorway, they're pretty cool comparison site - and sometimes they list a pretty decent price from one of the vendors and stick to it !

Will PM you the email of a sales guy I know at Spire/Beadles Watford - see if he works for you or not - I quite like him but thats just me personally !

#13 ·
As for Motorway compared to WBAC, they guaranteed the price and the guy at WBAC was a complete nob and accused me of lying about there quote and guarantee to pay that

As for spec, dependant on cast obviously, but heated steering wheel is a must that I missed and every day I think why we didn't spec. We were over our budget and the project manager in me started to slash the less desirables.

Remote heater (not timed) is standard as far as I'm aware, we was in the R-Dynamic S and that in my eyes was more than adequate. As you simply start it from you phone 5 minutes which is enough to defrost and heat.

#14 ·
So I assume the timed heat is via a separate engine that you can either set a time or start it with a press of a button, and the standard set up actually starts the car to warm things up ? In which case no point for me to get the timed, unless there's another advantage of getting it ? Maybe it heats up quicker with the timed ? Might have to ask

#17 ·
Any reason it says "Engine start 30 min" ? Surely it doesn't take up to 30 min to get up to temp, I hope not lol.

On a side note, has anyone gone for the "full extended leather upgrade" over the extended leather? And any thoughts?
I know, I know, questions questions, but what better place to ask with all these Velar testers on tap 😉

#18 ·
There is an earlier thread here about full ext leather upgrade ..... Generally recommending it ..... Adds leather to top section of dashboard, instrument binnacle and uppermost section of doors ....replacing the textured black plastic - so if you're thinking of this then I'd certainly recommend the FULL extended leather rather than just the extended leather.
Cheers

#19 ·
Nope that's just the max it will run for before turning off. During the snow here, 5-10 minutes was enough to be more than cozy.

#21 ·
Nowaytk said:
Any reason it says "Engine start 30 min" ? Surely it doesn't take up to 30 min to get up to temp, I hope not lol.

On a side note, has anyone gone for the "full extended leather upgrade" over the extended leather? And any thoughts?
I know, I know, questions questions, but what better place to ask with all these Velar testers on tap 😉
Got it in my First Edition - like my cabin how it is - not sure how it is without it though so not much help there lol !

#22 ·
Managed to put pen to paper today and order a new velar to replace my sport, hopefully due April. Thanks for all the inputs guys, you've just cost me a lot of money 😂

#23 ·
I love spending other people's money....

You'll love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.