Bare Velar vs Q5 S line

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
rivarama

Bare Velar vs Q5 S line

Post by rivarama » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:08 am

Hi all, new to the forum.

I have to get a new company car, as my current one is getting to the end of its lease. I have the choice between a few mid spec’d SUV such as X3, Q5 or GLC. All come w small Diesel engines, leather seats, reasonable option package without being top notch.
The list also offers the basic velar - d180 - with 18” wheels, Luxtek seats...

I totally ruled the X3 out as it is downright ugly imho, and I think the glc isn’t far behind the x3 in terms of poor looks.

Hence my choice has come down to the Q5 or the lowest spec Velar.

I am sure LR won’t be selling much if any base model, so it is hard for me to gauge what it looks/feels like in the flesh, as none of the dealers I called stocked any d180 w suede seats.

Have you guys ever seen or better - do own one? From the LR website, there are virtually no differences to the exterior between the 45k and the 62k trim bar the wheels size. Inside the cabin the seats also appear to be the main cosmetic difference, along side the digital speedo dash display (w/o mentioning electric seats that I have no use for). Do you find the idea of a bare base velar an acceptable trade off in order to own a gorgeous car?

Adding a little extra ££ out of pocket for an upgraded model is NOT an option offered by my company, nor can I take a lump sum instead.

I am not worried about resale, as the car is leased by the company and is returned in 36months.

I am not bothered by the performance (or lack of) of the car, as I also own a Ferrari as a week end toy.

So - what do you think? Base velar vs new Q5 S line 2.0 Tdi?

KRG

Re: Bare Velar vs Q5 S line

Post by KRG » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 am

I’d pick the GLC if limited to that price bracket, personally. It still looks and feels relatively premium even in lower spec. The base Velar feels like a shell of what the car is intended to be. The Q5 is prob a nice choice with the S-Line package...it just doesn’t really grab me and feels like a step below a Range Rover or Mercedes.

I know I didn’t answer your question. It’s a draw for me.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

melbarro

Post by melbarro » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 am

Hi - Link below is to Advertisement on Car sales website in Australia - showing actual photos of a BASE model Velar (both external and internal) - as KRG says, the base model has NO prestige look or feel about it - it really is just a shell of what the car is intended to be.

https://www.carsales.com.au/demo/detail ... 0017/?Cr=1
P300 RDynamic HSE corris, sliding pano roof, laser led headlights, 20" diamond cut wheels, air susp, full ext leather, HUD, surround cameras, activity bracelet, config interior lighting, DAB, rear heated seats.

melbarro

Post by melbarro » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 am

PS - Note the average looking 18" wheels and high profile tyres and also be aware that the base model Velar doesnt even come with Sat Nav !!
P300 RDynamic HSE corris, sliding pano roof, laser led headlights, 20" diamond cut wheels, air susp, full ext leather, HUD, surround cameras, activity bracelet, config interior lighting, DAB, rear heated seats.

andyjeffries

Post by andyjeffries » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 am

I can't answer the question you have, but I can give you something that may help. I currently lease a 2015 Audi Q5 S Line Plus 3.0. I'm returning that one in June and picking up my Velar D180 S. I know it's not the base spec Velar, but it's not far off and I'm only going for the Velar S over Velar for a couple of very specific reasons:

* I'm a big fan of cool headlights (I love them on my Q5, so I really wants the DRL on the Velar)
* Folding door mirrors (a must on the street I live on)
* Rear view camera

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the other bits you get on the Velar S, but don't need them. I wouldn't care about the Sat Nav (Waze is MUCH better anyway) and I'm more interested in comfort than a sporty look so wouldn't care about keeping 18" wheels.

So, I'm coming from a similar car to the one you're consider (Q5 S Line - albeit the plus and a bigger engine) and I can't wait to get my new Velar in June! I'm not worried about the performance, but the level of comfort in the Velar and the driving position is soooo much nicer! Plus lets be honest, the Q5 is very popular, the Velar is still very rare. I test drove one for 24 hours and had so many people come up and want to have a look at it.
Velar D180 S Byron Blue

abescos

Post by abescos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Albeit it doesn´t answer your question, this is my experience with the base 18" rims (absolutely a personal view, it depends on you):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=738

qb87

Post by qb87 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 pm

All dealers in Zurich have their Velars on the 18'' rims with winter tires and to be honest it does not look so bad, much better live than on a pic
personally I would go for bare velar, I'm so in love with this car's design
Velar P250 SE R-Dynamic Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, 20" 7014 Gloss Black (summer) / 20" 7014 Silver (winter)

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:04 pm

@ rivarama
I take the risk to be "flamed" by by other forum members by writing the following... There is not much difference from the exterior point of view between a base Velar and a premium Velar, if you go at least for 19'' rims (18'' rims proposed with base velar do not pay a tribute at all).

When I purchased I was convinced that the R-Dynamic badge made it all because of the front vents and the copper inserts. On 2nd thought, having a look at many of the non R dynamic Velars posted on this forum I changed my mind. Standard Velar is very appealing in its own (with the appropriate rims). To be fully honest the R dynamic pack is sold around 3K € and its just pieces of plastic around the car (incl . fake vents on the hood, sic) + metallic door steps and fake metal paddles behind the steering wheels

regarding the suede for seats, it is quite nice actually (I have it partially on the edges of the seats. I wanted it full suede initially but went for leather due to my 2 young boys in the rear (I think you see what I mean) + I it was included in the S pack.

So Rivarama, if you are still considering a base Velar whilst accepting that it won't have the satnav , panoramic roof and so on, then I think you could be a happy owner with a nice colour and if you can deal a set of rims and tyres in 19''. Maybe that's something you can buy yourself and sell it afterwards ?

Look at this velar, nothing apart the rims is different from a base . is it not a nice car ?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=772
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

rivarama

Post by rivarama » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Guys,
Thanks a lot for the great replies. It is all very useful. I do appreciate indeed that the 18” wheels aren’t great. Although my company doesn’t allow for any add one, nothing stops me from adding to it post delivery. After a bit of eBay and google lurking, looks like I could fit some decent looking 19/20” after market for £1k. I could fit those and store the 18” till the end of the lease.
Window tinting (light) - could also be done nicely aftermarket.

It really comes down to the seats, which don’t feel as premium, but they look decent enough based on the links shared above - thanks for that.

I would most likely go for stock black paint, even though the SanFran velar looks great in white as well provided windows are tinted.

I am now considering the velar again - and need to research a bit on reliability, as there seems to be a lot of negative press around the car... even judging by the amount of threads on this forum about issues and gremlins :-( feels like 1990s LR reliability biblical tales of horror all over again?? Thoughts?

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 am

There’s no denying that there are software issues, however they have gone a long way in resolving this, and I’m sure once you’ve ordered they will Be even closer to solving.

Remember this is a new car, and I’ve not had a new car that hasn’t had teething issues. Also remember this is a forum, so the majority of posts will be about problems as people don’t share good experiences.

Personally as mentioned, I’ve had software, slightly week rear handle and a slight rattle coming from the from tweeter. All hopefully will be fixed tomorrow when it’s at the dealers.

Do it and you won’t regret.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”