Beast from the East is beaten by RR Velar

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Beast from the East is beaten by RR Velar

Post by Arianne » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Guys and Girls,

I have to say that our Velar has traversed deep, deep snow and has been amazing. We have discovered just how fabulous the ‘sand’ setting is in soft, deep snow. In fact, we have become quite proficient at switching between sand, snow and normal modes.

The next thing that’s great is the ability to raise the ride height via the air suspension so that you don’t become a snow plough in deep snow. It also helps create more space in the wheel arches to stop the compacted snow forming.

Finally, we picked up the shuddering at speed on the open road. Checked the internet and realised it was just snow and ice on the alloy rims causing an imbalance. So got home and sorted that issue out and Mrs A thought I was a hero!

Best wishes.

Arianne

PS. Remote climate is good too!
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

MITO

Re: Beast from the East is beaten by RR Velar

Post by MITO » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:07 am

Great to hear.

It is easy for us, myself included, to get frustrated with the buggy tech on the car, and forget a key reason why we bought it in the first place. It is a highly capable vehicle that can transport us safely on and off road and in bad weather conditions. The fact it looks great, is comfortable, and has cool gadgets isn’t the be all and end all (although we’d like the features we paid for to work of course!)

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 am

Didn’t take any shots as I was too busy running errands for Mrs A’s elderly parents and clearing snow for friends. But the lad took this shot as we arrived at the supermarket. BTW, we know the rear O/S number plate LED is out - the dealer is replacing the whole unit due to condensation intrusion.

We have friends who live in a remote cottage and are currently cut off. I am tempted! It’s a private track and I may nip over there this afternoon with some of my friends and see what might be possible :D If we do then I will take some pics.

Arianne

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

mrgandfriends.co.uk

Post by mrgandfriends.co.uk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am

Not that we ever doubted the capability of the Velar. But I’m sure it’s delivered for everyone here in the UK during this adverse weather.

Similar results here driving from London to the Cotswolds yesterday - faultless handling and performance. I do long for the day windscreen washers don’t freeze though (which isn’t a pop at JLR) but you would think they’d have solved that one too!
Range Rover Velar, D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Panoramic Sliding Roof, 21" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5047' with Diamond Turned finish, and a driver that smiles from ear to ear.

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 am

I only picked my D240 up on Thursday morning, just as the bad weather was setting in, in southwest England so 1st March delivery was perfect timing!

It’s been fantastic - very impressed with how easy it’s made getting in and out of where we live which is not passable by normal cars. It hasn’t seemed to struggle with anything I’ve put it through so far and I don’t think I’m even near the edge of its capabilities.

🙂

BEC202CA-68B1-4EFF-AA7B-8ED8954186E2.png

E2D44A5D-232D-487B-8468-BD76AEA2A05A.jpeg

D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:43 pm

mrgandfriends.co.uk wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am
Not that we ever doubted the capability of the Velar. But I’m sure it’s delivered for everyone here in the UK during this adverse weather.

Similar results here driving from London to the Cotswolds yesterday - faultless handling and performance. I do long for the day windscreen washers don’t freeze though (which isn’t a pop at JLR) but you would think they’d have solved that one too!
............ Halfords screenwash to -20c does the trick. Once temperatures get below -10c it’s too cold for the stuff to kick up off of the road anyway. Neighbour has now decided he wants a Velar and is test driving it next weekend following what he has witnessed from ours! I think that says it all really.

Arianne

Andyvelar

Post by Andyvelar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:35 pm

Not for the want of trying, I was traveling in the midlands last week and this is all I came across, hardly got into snow mode ;)

Snow Mar 18.jpg

D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

Fluke

Post by Fluke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Seems to handle my weather fine as well...

Sorry guys just couldn’t resist - sharing from SW Florida. :D

7E50C8E9-F39E-4C02-9301-7FE5312E8E09.jpeg

R-Dynamic SE P380 Santorini Black

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:02 pm

^^^^ Fluke, I want to be there :arrow:

Arianne

Fluke

Post by Fluke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Paradise calling?

Hey... I’m originally from the northern US (MN) so I know all about driving through deep snow. Is it sad that I miss it just a little? Nothing like driving through a snow drift with complete confidence. Of course my previous vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee and had no issues with snow.

Glad to hear you guys are doing well in the snow with your Velar. I’m actually a bit jealous that you are able to test out these capabilities in real world situations.

Did you go save your friends at the remote cottage?
R-Dynamic SE P380 Santorini Black

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”