Broken promises - Arianne’s Velar OSF wheel noise still unfixed

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
paranoia64

Re: Broken promises - Arianne’s Velar OSF wheel noise still unfixed

Post by paranoia64 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 am

Hi Arianne, sorry to hear that you can not enjoy your Velar. I have as well a D300 HSE with 22" and so far I could not hear anything. Regarding your case, it is difficult to advise you. My personal experience in such cases is, to write an official letter (I let do my lawyer do such things) and to request an official statement. With that I can back up later damages and liabilities - but I think this depends on the country you live in.

Do you hear the noise even when listening music at a normal volume? If not I suggest to "hide" the noise with some good sound and think on something different. Hope you find a good solution

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Just reject. They have had plenty of chances and aren't that bothered about your custom so why should you be?

BerksDriver

Post by BerksDriver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am

Sorry to hear that this problem is still outstanding. I followed the equivalent on the F-Pace forum when you rejected the car. It was a very sorry story, beautifully written as always. Obviously you're disappointed that the car you ordered isn't performing as you hoped and deserved. As I see it, the next step depends on how much you like the Velar and how much hassle you can tolerate after what happened before. If I remember the saga correctly, when you swap to a smaller size the noise goes away. So the whole thing boils down to a half inch or inch of tyre thickness. In the cold light of day does the loss of a small amount of tyre really matter ? Will you get arrested by the style police for the sin of downsizing the wheels ? If you like the car, negotiate with the dealer for a smaller set of wheels and some money back. If you don’t, reject, go through the hassle and get a Macan. Or X5. Or GLC with its wheel crabbing. Or an XC60 again.

Whichever way you go I hope it works out for you. If you reject the Velar I'll be sorry to see you and your entertaining tales leave this forum

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

Okay, I have just been onto TOPIx. The earlier F-Pace technical bulletin JTB00577 has been withdrawn. That’s why there appears only guy on that forum to have had the revised mild steel component installed on his F-Pace.

A new update, SSM73717 was issued on 22 January saying that, due to supply problems, the campaign for rectification has been suspended.

A similar bulletin appears on the Velar forum, SSM73764 dated 13 February 2018. It links to a helpful schematic (attached) and also included a sound file (.wav) which is exactly like my car.

So I now know that this is a widespread issue and not just affecting my car or a tiny number of others. Smaller rim sizes mask the root cause of the noise and this is mentioned in that they say the larger rims may accentuate the symptom.

I should get a call from Amelia at JLR CRC today as my dealer promised this last night in an email (all credit to them for not giving up and still working on my case at 6:45pm). I don’t know what they will do as it looks like, unless we choose to reject the car, we are all stuck with the noise until the fabled new part becomes available. I wonder if they’re fitting them to all newly built cars on the production line to stop the rot? Which means we are at the tail of the queue?

Arianne

F4F30D23-727F-409C-9F9C-4E5E70886A8B.png

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

VelarMan

Post by VelarMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Arianne sorry to hear this mate. Gutted for you as you really loved the car. is this prevalent on all cars riding on 22s? I must say I never noticed any noises in my FE for the 3 months I owned it?

paranoia64

Post by paranoia64 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Arianne, could you eventually provide a link to the .wav file please?

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Guys, I don't hold the copyright on the material from TOPIx. One pays a subscription to gain access for a finite period of time, collects the data and then you log off. I don't feel comfortable posting the .wav file as it's JLR's and not my own. Sorry but I don't want to get into difficulties over Intellectual Property Rights etc.

You can check it out if you go to TOPIx and pay the subscription (£30 approx. for the hour). You can also see the other outstanding actions on your car - take a strong coffee before doing that though (glad I don't have a fuel line issue on my Ingenium engine as I have the V6 diesel!!!).

Best wishes,

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

paranoia64

Post by paranoia64 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 am

Arianne, ok fine with me, did not realise there is a subscription fee.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm

I have formally notified my dealer of our decision to reject today. I hope to hear more over the next few days. A very sad day. I found our Velar to be gorgeous but fundamentally flawed at the same time. This noise from the wheel, the flaky ICT, the paint blistering, the erratic tailgate, the condensation intrusion into the rear number plate lapholder knocking out the bulb, the failure of the Remote Start software to initiate the heated front screen for cold weather preconditioning and the faulty tailgate strut. My heart said yes, my head has finally overruled it and said no - as has my son and wife.

I have no idea what we will do next. I loved my F-Pace, I was heartbroken when I rejected her because I have never driven an SUV which had such thrilling and agile handling. I loved our Velar as we specified her to our exact requirements and she offered a calm, serene but connected drive. Both look gorgeous. I need a break from premium cars as I am not ready to take the risk again too soon.

I wish all of you well. If you have a decent Jaguar or Range Rover then you have something special out there.

Regards,

Arianne

VelarMan

Post by VelarMan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Oh my days - this is a sad day indeed! Sorry to hear this.

Have a look at the Vovlo cars - they seem to be belting out some great stuff in the new XC90. 60 and now the XC40 too.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”