SIM not supported

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
jasonn76

SIM not supported

Post by jasonn76 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Desperately trying to connect a SIM card in the Velar. I've bought 2 separate data only cards now, activated them on my iPhone but when I insert them into the car it tells me they're not supported. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? I can connect the car via the Personal Hotspot on my phone but would prefer the ease of a SIM card.

Thanks

AceMeatloaf

Re: SIM not supported

Post by AceMeatloaf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:23 pm

jasonn76 wrote:Desperately trying to connect a SIM card in the Velar. I've bought 2 separate data only cards now, activated them on my iPhone but when I insert them into the car it tells me they're not supported. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? I can connect the car via the Personal Hotspot on my phone but would prefer the ease of a SIM card.

Thanks
It is locked to AT&T in North America. Which carrier are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonn76

Post by jasonn76 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm using 3 in the UK

abescos

Post by abescos » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I’m using Telefonica Movistar in Spain; not issue at all but a little tricky first time until the car recognizes the physical card inserted. I remember tried several times inserting it right into the slot to make perfect contact.

Alvaro

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm

I also use the 3 data only SIM cards, the ones that give 12 gig or 12 months and then you chuck them. Not had any problems BUT I just unpackaged the card and put it in the car, followed the instructions and no problems. These cards run independently of any phone and aren’t contract based.

So possibly the conflict is caused because you are activating them on the phone first and it’s somehow tying itself to that device?
D 300 First Edition Corris Grey

jasonn76

Post by jasonn76 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 am

Wolfie wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 pm
I also use the 3 data only SIM cards, the ones that give 12 gig or 12 months and then you chuck them. Not had any problems BUT I just unpackaged the card and put it in the car, followed the instructions and no problems. These cards run independently of any phone and aren’t contract based.

So possibly the conflict is caused because you are activating them on the phone first and it’s somehow tying itself to that device?
Thanks Wolfie that makes sense. As I've activated it on my iPhone I might have a problem now. Not sure if I can "unattach" it from the phone so I'll ask Google.

Andyvelar

Post by Andyvelar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 pm

I am using Vodafone, after issues with Virgin, then finding it was not supported, no problems with Vodafone so far
D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

drg111

Post by drg111 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm

I've had the same issue at first, tried multiple sim cards, which all wouldn't work. Until one morning, having left the sim card in the slot, it just functionned. And it's been working since. So leave it in the slot , maybe it'll work tomorrow. Good luck!

Andyvelar

Post by Andyvelar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm

As there are some cards that are clearly not supported it would be nice if the dealerships could gibe some direction on to which ones will work in their vehicles, or the manufacturer could (like other brands) supply sim with a complementary free period, after all these are not cheap vehicles and you can get this service from some vehicles costing a third of the price
D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

PodGibbs

Post by PodGibbs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Ordered today D300SE During the process the salesman told me complementary Sim on collection.
D300SE+ Options..

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”