Replacement Wheels Re-programming - Being Ripped Off?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
schroedm

Replacement Wheels Re-programming - Being Ripped Off?

Post by schroedm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi All,

I am collecting my new Velar on Saturday :) . I also have a brand new set of 22" 9007 style wheels and tyres off of a First Edition turning up tomorrow! I asked my dealer if he'd be good enough to pop them on the car for me when I pick it up and was told...

"When you put different tyres and wheels on the car we have to let the car know by programming it to know it’s got different wheels and tyres… Also the car comes with tyre pressure warning and again this also needs to be programmed to the car, and thirdly if they car doesn’t accept all this then we might have to add the valve codes to the car too, hence why its an hours labour as the car will take up time on the programming machine, it should be 1.5 hours to complete…"

Apparently this will be a charge of £162.

Has anyone heard this or gone through this? Feels like I'm being ripped off. I was led to understand that these tyres have the pressure monitors built in with their own ECUs and calibrate after 10-15miles. All that is needed is to reset the tire pressure monitor system.

My trusty garage up the road is willing to swap all the wheels for me for £10 if that's all this is *really* required

Be interested to see what others have gone through as I see lots of people have been swapping alloys etc

Thanks,
Mark

fundedlearning

Re: Replacement Wheels Re-programming - Being Ripped Off?

Post by fundedlearning » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Just use the valves from your original wheels and no reprogramming will be required. Definitely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

CDNd180se

Post by CDNd180se » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

The issue with changing the wheels and tires is all about reprogramming to the size of the replacements vs the size of the original tires. If the system is calibrated for a certain radius and you alter that more then 3% the effect can be considerable to speed readings, traction control and other driving aids.

That said if your cars original wheels and tires are smallest size offered on the Velar of 19's these are 255/55/19 and the 22's are 265/40/22 so at speedo reading of 70MPH you would be really doing 70.71MPH that is really not much to worry about for most cars and certainly below 3%.

I agree the price seems extreme, I would also say we really do not have enough data points to say that the Velars systems do not require precise calibration to be optimal.

If it was my new car I would have the dealer do it but only after they explained to me why the programming was required and if that answer aligned with what I know to be true with relation to tire\wheel radius changes. If they tried to spin me the story that the difference in radius was so great that it was required I would kindly let them know they were full of crap and they would lose me forever.

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Just ask if you can be present whilst they’re working on it as you’re interest

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I haven’t heard this, but could make sense I suppose. You could contact another retailer or two and see what they say as well.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior

VelarMan

Post by VelarMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 am

It’s true. Had the same on a RRS however dealer did it for free and in fact took them 3 hours to sort whilst I waited! You need to use the valves from the tyres on your car or it will be a nightmare to sort! They tried to re-program the valves in my replacement but were unable to so eventually had to use the valves from the originals.

Also make sure you have arrangements of another vehicle or courier company to bring your original wheels back home as if you carry them in the car then the TPMS will play havoc with your ECU as the car will then try to recognise 8 wheels and throw up error messages again and you will need to go back to the dealer to re-program again!!!

I learnt all this - the hard way :mrgreen:

schroedm

Post by schroedm » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks everyone! And thank you VelarMan....
Also make sure you have arrangements of another vehicle or courier company to bring your original wheels back home as if you carry them in the car then the TPMS will play havoc with your ECU as the car will then try to recognise 8 wheels and throw up error messages again and you will need to go back to the dealer to re-program again!!!
I never thought about the 8 wheel situation!!! :shock: I will have my friend bring them back for me now! Maybe a stupid question, but do I need to keep the old wheels away from the car at all times? I guess I cannot keep the old wheels in the garage alongside the Velar? If I start the car and it sits idling for a couple of minutes for example will the TMPS get screwed up??

Don't want to introduce unnecessary chaos!!

Thanks

VelarMan

Post by VelarMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:14 pm

schroedm wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am
Thanks everyone! And thank you VelarMan....
I never thought about the 8 wheel situation!!! :shock: I will have my friend bring them back for me now! Maybe a stupid question, but do I need to keep the old wheels away from the car at all times? I guess I cannot keep the old wheels in the garage alongside the Velar? If I start the car and it sits idling for a couple of minutes for example will the TMPS get screwed up??

Don't want to introduce unnecessary chaos!!

Thanks
I think it would be safe to have them stored elsewhere as yes the ECU would most likely pick up the TPMS signals if in the same garage. So i had everything sorted out TPMS taken out of old wheels and put in to new wheels and TPMS taken out of new wheels and put in to old wheels but as soon as I put them in my boot/trunk it was chaos again and I had to drive back to the dealer and they spend another hour trying to reset the system! They later realised it was the 8 wheel situation that caused the issue again!

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”