DON'T DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD!

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
mge.92

DON'T DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD!

Post by mge.92 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Just a heads up for anyone who happens to get a rock chip or crack in the windshield of your new and somewhat new Velars, there is no spare windshields available ! Yes tried almost every dealership, autoglass, almost every other windshield company and even direct from Land Rover .... Nothing! Supposedly it is backordered until further notice! Which is ridiculous! Just a FYI for everyone!
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

berkorich

Re: DON'T DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD!

Post by berkorich » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I actually had mine replaced recently, but it certainly wasn't a straightforward process.

Suffered a stonechip right in driver's line of sight so before it spread I quickly organised a repair with Aviva/Autoglass as I figured a new windscreen would be hard to come by on such a new car. Autoglass tried the repair three days later but sadly, they were able to repair the impact point but not the small crack which had formed from it. Order placed for them to re-attend the following week for replacement.

I checked with Autoglass and they were not intending to fit a LR genuine screen, only an as-is replacement, so I rejected that and insisted upon a LR part citing warranty concerns, which they were happy to do. Took around two weeks for them to source the screen and they fitted it three weeks after their first repair visit.

What the Autoglass techs couldn't do is recalibrate the camera, as they did not carry the software needed for that, again because it is such a new vehicle. That was done a week later at the LR dealer.

Genuine screens are out there (or at least, one was when I needed it!) but not easily tracked down by the sounds of it. Compatible non-genuine screens seem to be more readily available if your car is undriveable and you have no choice, but how you would get that swapped out for genuine screen I'm not sure...
MY2018 R-Dynamic D300 HSE in Corris Grey.

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:38 pm

berkorich wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:34 pm
I actually had mine replaced recently, but it certainly wasn't a straightforward process.

Suffered a stonechip right in driver's line of sight so before it spread I quickly organised a repair with Aviva/Autoglass as I figured a new windscreen would be hard to come by on such a new car. Autoglass tried the repair three days later but sadly, they were able to repair the impact point but not the small crack which had formed from it. Order placed for them to re-attend the following week for replacement.

I checked with Autoglass and they were not intending to fit a LR genuine screen, only an as-is replacement, so I rejected that and insisted upon a LR part citing warranty concerns, which they were happy to do. Took around two weeks for them to source the screen and they fitted it three weeks after their first repair visit.

What the Autoglass techs couldn't do is recalibrate the camera, as they did not carry the software needed for that, again because it is such a new vehicle. That was done a week later at the LR dealer.

Genuine screens are out there (or at least, one was when I needed it!) but not easily tracked down by the sounds of it. Compatible non-genuine screens seem to be more readily available if your car is undriveable and you have no choice, but how you would get that swapped out for genuine screen I'm not sure...
I think the problem with mine is that I have all the options in terms of heated screen, heads-up display and dual camera as well as one other thing that is why trying to find a screen is difficult. Land Rover dealerships currently have it as backordered and thus it is highly unlikely to get one in the next couple weeks.
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Land Rover is currently investigating.

InkedScreenshot_20180326-171313_LI.jpg

Marc

mrgandfriends.co.uk

Post by mrgandfriends.co.uk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Wish I’d never read this post coz this happened this morning less than a week old! # sigh

AFD1AA34-60FB-4D91-92DF-4CDF45E9A083.jpeg

Range Rover Velar, D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Panoramic Sliding Roof, 21" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5047' with Diamond Turned finish, and a driver that smiles from ear to ear.

neelz

Post by neelz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am

mge.92 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm
Call up Rebecca on the screenshot. They are investigating and might give you a free windshield.
Dear Marc

In that topix screenshot given, there is a pdf (Screen Crack1.pdf) attached. Could you kindly share the details in that too? If it helps in getting more details about the issue before approaching the dealer.
I too have my windscreen cracked, I was wondering how it happened, didn't hear or notice something like that.

Thank you

IMG_9792.jpg

Range Rover Velar, D180 S, Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 19" Dark Grey Alloys 8-)

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 am

neelz wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 am
mge.92 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm
Call up Rebecca on the screenshot. They are investigating and might give you a free windshield.
Dear Marc

In that topix screenshot given, there is a pdf (Screen Crack1.pdf) attached. Could you kindly share the details in that too? If it helps in getting more details about the issue before approaching the dealer.
I too have my windscreen cracked, I was wondering how it happened, didn't hear or notice something like that.

Thank you
Attached is the document. Not all of the photos can be done without removing the windshield

screen1.jpeg

screen2.jpeg

screen3.jpeg

Marc

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 pm

I am wondering if the standard windshield can be replaced by the solar attenuating laminated windshield - does this have any impact on the various cameras and sensors on the car?

My FE came with a standard windshield but quite keen on replacing with a solar attenuating windscreen which is specially lamination to reduce road noise, engine NVH and of course solar radiation.
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 pm

SpokenHands wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 pm
I am wondering if the standard windshield can be replaced by the solar attenuating laminated windshield - does this have any impact on the various cameras and sensors on the car?

My FE came with a standard windshield but quite keen on replacing with a solar attenuating windscreen which is specially lamination to reduce road noise, engine NVH and of course solar radiation.
Should be able theoretically but not sure if the system needs an electrical input.
Marc

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 am

Again another windshield bites the dust. This is ridiculous ! 2 Windshields in 8500 miles and since September with the first being replaced after a two month wait and finally being replaced less than a month ago and now another massive crack fml
Marc