DON'T DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD!

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
SpokenHands

Re: DON'T DAMAGE THE WINDSHIELD!

Post by SpokenHands » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:40 am

So appears from the iGuide that forward looking cameras need recalibration by the dealer every time a windscreen is replaced. Important to remember if you have your windscreen replaced by an independent supplier.

20180609_114123.png

2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

Strider32

Post by Strider32 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Just waiting for mine to be done Monday. Taken 6 weeks for Autoglass to get the screen direct from landrover. Apparently they have the equipment to re calibrate the sensors so we will see !
Velar S D180, Fuji White.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Our windshield is also cracked. The crack is abour 80 cm and appeared extremely fast. Could I’d be, that the windshield is under high pressure? We got the information from the dealer and Carglass, that the windshield is available within 2 days. We’ll see. Extremely annoying, since the insurance will only cover part of the costs.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

I have had two windshields on my new BMW within a year (2014) - In one case it just cracked without any chips or car around - so something to do with the road surface or a twisting motion in the car body as it went over a bump i guess which subsequently failed the windscreen. Its gard to say. Paid the small excess on my windscreen and it was replaced. Didnt blame BMW.

NOT certain what is going on wih respect to the JLR windscreen and the thread is not clear if it is a material defect (which will not likely affect all batches and cars all over the world) or a fitting defect (something to do with the seals?) - it is a big windscreen and because of the SUV capability especially off road - would require very good mounting. You dont want this popping off as tou go over a ridge.

I wonder if we have any factual updates on this - i dont tjink it is a broad based issue.
2018 Mercedes AMG GT-C Roadster
2018 Range Rover Velar First Edition D300 HSE

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Make sure you get oem glass. Autoglass does not have the capability to calibrate the car systems and will have to take it to the dealer. It should cost about £100.
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

mge.92

Post by mge.92 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 pm

There is also a topix for the windshield which they are still currently investigating.
Marc
SOLD - 13 BMW X3 28i, Carbon Black, Fully Loaded, Tuned and Featured on Smoking Tire
18 Velar R-Dynamic HSE D300, Carpathian Grey / Vintage Tan / Ebony, Fully Loaded

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Carglass assured us, that they have the ability and equipment to do the calibration.

Well, how will I be sure the calibration was done properly?

Strider32

Post by Strider32 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Well glass done today by Autoglass. No calibration though as they haven’t got the latest updates for the velar. So off to the main dealership to be done although having spoken to my insurance company they will cover the cost of this to be done.
Velar S D180, Fuji White.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Joe wrote:Well, how will I be sure the calibration was done properly?
Because you live in Germany? :)
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20B

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 pm

It came as I thought. The 3rd Party class shop was able to order the new windshield on time, but they claimed they couldn’t calibrate the car. Why did I know this would happen? I asked multiple times if they’re able to calibrate the systems and got the answer , yes we can. All BS! If you ask me, that was all a fake information to get me do the windshield exchange in their shop. I can’t recommend to go to a 3rd party for the windshield. No I have a new appointment at JLR in 2 weeks for the calibration. What a waist of time. I was told the calibration most likely won’t be necessary if there is no failure message shown. Well, there is none. We’ll see. I don’t have a good feeling about all of this. How to trust the systems again?
Anyone calibrated his Velar yet?