Deployable side steps

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Stevier

Re: Deployable side steps

Post by Stevier » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am

If you have air suspension they’re a complete waste of time and money. The velar already sits quite low compared to the rr sport anyway and just can’t see a need for them unless you have a roof box and are quite short.

I had non deployable ones fitted purely for aesthetics to mine , no air suspension and don’t use them to get in or out because it’s still low enough. Using them to get in is awkward as you’re too high and look like a fat Middle Aged bloke slidding into his Porsche 911. You spend most of your time smashing your ankles off them as well.

GreyPaint

Post by GreyPaint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 am

I was told by my dealership not to get them as the car is too low - it also ends up restricting off-road height
2021 Velar P400e R-Dynamic SE, 21” diamond alloys, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:59 pm

Spencerwilks wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:58 am
Mine were installed by the dealer. They had them in stock and wanted rid of them as they are not too popular so they fitted the complete package for £600 which was a bargain for me but they have had very limited use apart from cleaning the roof!
Well, I can actually clean the roof pretty well even if I don't have the steps fitted, but I'm more concerned with the step up into the cabin and the door sill not being flush with the rest of the floor (which can be quite dangerous for people with restricted mobility). The price I was quoted comes up to around £3000 (when converted from INR), so I just wanted to ask if the steps actually help people when climbing inside (again those on the shorter side), or does it make ingress/egress even more cumbersome?
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:03 pm

maitology wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:45 am
They're always dealer fit accessories, I have them, they make it easier for my young child to access the car.
That's nice to hear, because some of my family members find it's easier to climb into my Mercedes GLS (a much taller car) than my Velar. Getting the side steps installed should make access easier
MY2019, D180 S, R-Dynamic, Silicon Silver, 20" 7 Spoke Gloss Black Rims, Narvik Black Contrast roof, 4 Zone Climate Control, Ambient Lighting, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Extended Leather Package, Leather Steering Wheel with Atlas Bezel

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Stevier wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am
If you have air suspension they’re a complete waste of time and money. The velar already sits quite low compared to the rr sport anyway and just can’t see a need for them unless you have a roof box and are quite short.

I had non deployable ones fitted purely for aesthetics to mine , no air suspension and don’t use them to get in or out because it’s still low enough. Using them to get in is awkward as you’re too high and look like a fat Middle Aged bloke slidding into his Porsche 911. You spend most of your time smashing your ankles off them as well.
I don't have air suspension (D180 doesn't have the option) in my Velar. I can already reach most of the roof from one side (while cleaning), so the steps wouldn't be for me. It's just that some find "climbing up" into my Mercedes GLS easier than "walking in" to my Velar (because of the integrated side steps). I've noticed that while the roof is quite low on the Velar, the actual door sill is ridiculously high in the back for shorter people. What makes it worse is the rear floor is a few centimetres lower than the very wide door sill. This makes it quite cumbersome for someone who's short to directly enter or exit the rear seats, because they always have to step on the door sill before their feet can reach the floor. As for smashing your ankles couldn't you disable them when they aren't required?

Side note: I'm not Middle Aged and don't have a Porsche 911 :lol:

LordTechPro

Post by LordTechPro » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:24 pm

GreyPaint wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:53 am
I was told by my dealership not to get them as the car is too low - it also ends up restricting off-road height
In all honesty, the most "off-roady" scenario a Velar will face is probably when it rains and some puddles form on the street :lol: . Still, that's an important thing to keep in mind while making this decision, thanks for the heads up! My Velar is on Coil springs though (210mm ground clearance), so it wouldn't be as low as the standard road height on the Air suspension model (provided the car isn't fully loaded).