Moped Crime

The place to discuss everything else..
fatmanz

Moped Crime

Post by fatmanz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Just averted another break in attempt on my Velar by two scumbags on a moped, one guy had got off and was looking through the back window with a torch. I opened my window just in time and the guy on the moped just looked up at me calmly and said "Don't worry, we're not going to break in to your car mate. It's your lucky day."

On the 1st of Jan I had someone ride up on a stolen moped and smash in the rear window of my F-Pace courtesy car in broad daylight, since then every time I hear the sound of a moped outside I go to the window to take a look, it's turned me into a curtain-twitcher. Since then I've seen them multiple times going up and down roads in the area peering into car windows.

It's such a common occurrence now in West London that the Police don't even come out to take a report, and the only effect reporting these crimes seems to have is on insurance premiums. One of the reasons why I've decided to move out of this "fancy" area for good.

There's almost nothing I can do to deter them, the street is well lit, people were walking past at the time,they wear helmets and face masks and aren't worried about being caught on camera, the bikes they use are stolen, the alarm doesn't go off until they've smashed the window and they can do that (just to take a look) and ride off faster than I can get to the front door.

Can't think of anything I can do to deter them except maybe buying one of those stickers that says "No valuables left in the car overnight".

Any other ideas?
P300, R-Dynamic S, Narvik Black, 21" 1033 Dark Grey, Air Suspension, Extended Leather, toys...

LewiJ

Re: Moped Crime

Post by LewiJ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm

If you have a driveway, you can buy one of those removable bollards. A driveway in west London may be a rare occurnwxe however 😊
D180 R-Dynamic SE
Narvik Black
Ebony / Ebony interior - leather
Pano Roof
Privacy Glass
Adaptive Dynamics
20" 1032 Wheels

KLRichards

Post by KLRichards » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:53 pm

Get yourself a very angry (and hungry) Rottweiler and let it sleep in the car.... dog lovers may say this is cruel, but needs must.

May still get the odd scumbag break the window to try his luck, but just think of the enjoyment you’ll get when Rex the Rottweiler brings the sumbag to you with his bollax in his mouth (that’s the scumbags plums in the dogs mouth :lol: ).
Range Rover Velar 2.0 SE (R-Dynamic) - White with Black roof, Black wheels and Black pack.... (finally arrived :D )

Richie.A

Post by Richie.A » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm

fatmanz wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Any other ideas?
Get something like this

https://waylens.com/

and get magnetic stickers when you park it "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED"

I even suggest leaving your interior lights on.
  • 2007 Mustang V6 Conv
  • 2010 RR Sport HSE SC
  • 2012 Audi A6
  • 2018 RR Velar P380 First Edition

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Richie, if they have helmets, full face masks, are on a stolen moped and are not put off by witnesses in daylight hours, unless they are complete muppets and are wearing something that would uniquely identify them I doubt if even a camera with a full crew would deter them :lol:
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

KLRichards

Post by KLRichards » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm

...but the Rottweiler will... :shock:
Range Rover Velar 2.0 SE (R-Dynamic) - White with Black roof, Black wheels and Black pack.... (finally arrived :D )

Richie.A

Post by Richie.A » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 am

Jim55 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:47 pm
Richie, if they have helmets, full face masks, are on a stolen moped and are not put off by witnesses in daylight hours, unless they are complete muppets and are wearing something that would uniquely identify them I doubt if even a camera with a full crew would deter them :lol:
Good points.

Have you thought about covering your car to slow their process down and hopefully discourage them?

Bullet proof glass?

Or maybe leave your car unlocked?
  • 2007 Mustang V6 Conv
  • 2010 RR Sport HSE SC
  • 2012 Audi A6
  • 2018 RR Velar P380 First Edition

KIZZYP

Post by KIZZYP » Wed May 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Give them no reason to break in ...leave nothing in the car , leave the glovebox open with nothing in it and pull the roller cover back in the boot . If they look in and there is nothing there they hopefully wont break in . The open glove box and rear cover being open are a good indication to them you are aware of this type of car crime and have left nothing valuable in your car. If they still smash a window its just vindictive and there is really nothing you can do about that.
D275 R DYNAMIC SE BYRON BLUE , ACORN LEATHER , SATIN BLONDE VENEER, 21" GLOSS BLACK WHEELS , OPEN PAN ROOF, LED LIGHTING , 360 CAMERA , ON/OFF ROAD PACK. PRIVACY GLASS. SPARE WHEEL.

97 DEFENDER 90
57 FIESTA 1.25 ZETEC
59 CORSA 1.0 ACTIVE

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”