Gap/Alloy/Paint Insurance

The place to discuss everything else..
Haybrd

Gap/Alloy/Paint Insurance

Post by Haybrd » Wed May 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi all,

I got quotes yesterday from my dealer for the above and looked online and found much cheaper options! (The dealer dropped their quotes but still couldn’t get close). Just wondered if any of you had experiences (good or bad) with the following:

Alloy Insurance - Tidyalloys.com
GAP - directgap.co.uk

Paint insurance wise I’m not finding a lot of companies that will quote and the ones that do want to come visit the vehicle before quoting which just seems a hassle as it will be brand new. Can anyone recommend a good company?

Many thanks in advance
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Williecan

Re: Gap/Alloy/Paint Insurance

Post by Williecan » Thu May 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi Haybrd
I have used tidy alloys as the price quoted could not be matched anywhere.
I only had the car two weeks and my wife caught a kerb and damaged an alloy - contacted Ben from direct alloys who told me to take a picture on my phone and send it to him - he got back in touch immediately with details of where repair would be carried out three days later - this was done to perfection - highly recommend Tidy Alloys from my experience.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Fri May 31, 2019 1:26 am

Thanks Williecan! Good to hear the service is/was good. As you said price wise I can’t find a quote anywhere near so I’ll definitely go for it I think! Thanks for your input!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

KIZZYP

Post by KIZZYP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:13 pm

My experience of new cars ... If its the first time your driving a car with 20" alloys plus , yes to the insurance ...We did ours on a new A8 3 times . Then got used to giving a wide swing on corners, and avoid parallel parking. 5 new cars since with big wheels and not a single scuff. (wife driving too ! ) So dont bother now.
Paint protection - dont bother is a dealership con, and can run the risk of doing more damage than it prevents. If you must use a professional detailer.
GAP insurance yes especially if on PCP . we used AXA with a discount code from this forum.
D275 R DYNAMIC SE BYRON BLUE , ACORN LEATHER , SATIN BLONDE VENEER, 21" GLOSS BLACK WHEELS , OPEN PAN ROOF, LED LIGHTING , 360 CAMERA , ON/OFF ROAD PACK. PRIVACY GLASS. SPARE WHEEL.

97 DEFENDER 90
57 FIESTA 1.25 ZETEC
59 CORSA 1.0 ACTIVE

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:34 am

KIZZYP wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:13 pm
My experience of new cars ... If its the first time your driving a car with 20" alloys plus , yes to the insurance ...We did ours on a new A8 3 times . Then got used to giving a wide swing on corners, and avoid parallel parking. 5 new cars since with big wheels and not a single scuff. (wife driving too ! ) So dont bother now.
Paint protection - dont bother is a dealership con, and can run the risk of doing more damage than it prevents. If you must use a professional detailer.
GAP insurance yes especially if on PCP . we used AXA with a discount code from this forum.
Thanks KIZZYP!

Alloy wise I think I’ll go for it. I’ve order black alloys so any small misadventure on my part will show up.

For the paint protection piece I meant the SMART repair type insurance rather than the autoglym treatment (that I think is a con).

dhough001

Post by dhough001 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Interested to know whether anyone had any thoughts on the cosmetic damage insurance or whether you took it out Haybrd?
Black D180 S R-Dynamic, black pack, 20 inch black gloss 7 split spoke wheels, fixed panoramic roof.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:58 am

dhough001 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 pm
Interested to know whether anyone had any thoughts on the cosmetic damage insurance or whether you took it out Haybrd?
I didn’t bother as when I asked around, unless you are totally accident prone it would just be cheaper to go to a scuff repairer a couple of times. I did take out the alloy insurance though as I have black alloys and know I’ll kerb them at some stage.

dhough001

Post by dhough001 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks. Mine also has 20 inch black alloys so may look into that but I also know a couple of people with bodyshops so may give the cosmetic damage one a miss!! Although the wife has already written one of my cars off so I may kick myself!!! 😂
Black D180 S R-Dynamic, black pack, 20 inch black gloss 7 split spoke wheels, fixed panoramic roof.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Haha hopefully this one is safe! :)