Wireless Apple CarPlay

The place to discuss everything else..
acharris76

Re: Wireless Apple CarPlay

Post by acharris76 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:46 pm

I doubt it, but you could buy it, try it and return it if it doesn't work. But I think on their website they say the car must have Apple CarPlay factory fitted.

JimH

Post by JimH » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is just a "bridge" device that "fools" CarPlay in the head unit into "seeing" a cable connection, and CarPlay on the phone into "seeing" a wireless CarPlay head unit so I would assume that it only works with carplay-enabled head units.....
MY2019.5 D240 SE R Dynamic - Firenze Red, Body Colour roof with fixed panoramic glass and black rails, 21" Style 5047G dark grey with diamond cut finish wheels, Heated windscreen and steering wheel, Adaptive Dynamics, Front fog lights, Privacy glass

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:11 pm

liben96 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:29 pm
liben96 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Will it work in those markets where Apple Car was not available?
You still need the Smartphone Pack for CarPlay to work @liben96 I'm afraid with this clever device.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

raven14

Post by raven14 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 am

Got the Car2play yesterday. A mixed bag so far.

When I plugged it into a USB charger, it started transmitting an SSID 'Volkswag_Car' or something similar. It was WPA2 protected so I guessed the password '12345678' (which was not in the instructions). The software was apparently up to date so I didn't need to go thru upgrading the device.

I connected it to the USB ports in the car and after some back and forth with 2 or 3 screens asking to connect, Carplay was working wirelessly. I tested it now on a couple of short rides and these are my findings:

- connecting when starting up the car works each time
- when it works, it works just as with wired Carplay, with all screens providing the right info and all buttons (also on steering wheel) being functional
- the connection has not been very stable: I have had 2 hick-ups, which ended up in Carplay still being connected of some sorts but rendered useless because there was an enormous delay between pushing buttons and the system reacting to it
- going from wireless to wired and vice versa is shoot-and-mostly-miss. Independent of how you wire it (thru the unit itself, or thru the other USB port).

I've asked a couple of questions to Car2play support, let's await their feedback.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:10 pm

liben96 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:29 pm
liben96 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Will it work in those markets where Apple Car was not available?
I don't see how it can. As far as the car knows, it has a iPhone plugged in, so its not going to make a difference to your situation.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 20C

acharris76

Post by acharris76 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:36 pm

raven14 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 am

When I plugged it into a USB charger, it started transmitting an SSID 'Volkswag_Car' or something similar. It was WPA2 protected so I guessed the password '12345678' (which was not in the instructions). The software was apparently up to date so I didn't need to go thru upgrading the device.

I connected it to the USB ports in the car and after some back and forth with 2 or 3 screens asking to connect, Carplay was working wirelessly. I tested it now on a couple of short rides and these are my findings:

- when it works, it works just as with wired Carplay, with all screens providing the right info and all buttons (also on steering wheel) being functional
- the connection has not been very stable: I have had 2 hick-ups, which ended up in Carplay still being connected of some sorts but rendered useless because there was an enormous delay between pushing buttons and the system reacting to it
- going from wireless to wired and vice versa is shoot-and-mostly-miss. Independent of how you wire it (thru the unit itself, or thru the other USB port).

I've asked a couple of questions to Car2play support, let's await their feedback.
I asked about the USB socket on the unit and they said it is only for updating the unit. It can't be used to charge your phone or as a "pass through" to allow for wired car play as well.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:51 pm

raven14 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 am

Thanks for this! I received my CPLAY2AIR dongle yesterday and would have spent more time than needed having to figure out how to get the update done without your guidance and guessing on that password! So ridiculous they don't have better instructions.

Anyways, I plugged it into an old iPhone charger to give it power before getting to the car so I could check for updates, and it was a little dodgy at broadcasting the wifi signal. After a couple attempts, it connected to that "Volkswag etc" network and found an update once the IP was typed in that's shown on the instructions and successfully completed. The set up in the car was very straightforward as described. Just plug it in, connect it to bluetooth and follow the prompts. I have 6 separate trips yesterday, and every time was successful for me in connecting automatically and maintaining the connection without having GPS location go awry. I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro and have 14.1 running. I'll likely update to 14.2 in the next day or two and will report back, but so far I'm very happy.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

raven14

Post by raven14 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 pm

In the mean time I've gotten CPlay2Air to work just fine. It must have been an issue with the previous phone or its connection to the dongle, because upgrading to the iphone 12 Pro and re-pairing phone and CPlay2air made everything work perfectly. Even the wired-wireless transitions are now working just fine, a bit slower from wired to wireless than the other way around, though still acceptably fast.

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:43 pm

Sorry for the delay. Ended up bidding and winning a house, so have been dealing with all that comes with that! I updated my phone to 14.2.1 and noticed an issue with the gps not seeing precisely where I was while the phone was in the cubby behind the screen on its wireless charger. It stopped when in a cup holder, though. Forgetting the adaptor on the iPhone’s CarPlay settings and repairing it did seem to solve this so far, as two days in a row there’s been no issue. Very happy still. It’s nice to not have to plug in a cable, and if my phone’s fully charged, it just stays in my pocket or bag.

The wireless charger I got is here for $14 US and free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/QI-wireless-Ca ... 890.l49292

The cable fits nicely in the channel where the configurable ambient lighting goes and runs to the armrest discretely with the “POC motherboard” also sliding neatly into the channel. I don’t have the configurable lighting, so probably wouldn’t advise it for those that have the option. There’s other wireless mats with a fuse tap that wouldn’t require blocking the light. The mat fits without cutting and while it isn’t snug, I haven’t had issues with it over a couple weeks of using. I keep it driver’s side justified so when I place my phone in the cubby, it is positioned so the phone is abutting the side of the cubby where the mat ends. Works every time.

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras