Range Rover Velar Forum banner

D180 or P250

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LewiJ 
#1 ·
Hi all got a slight dilema, I've ordered the D180 but as we currently drive a 3 litre twin turbo BMW X4 I'm worried it may be underpowered. I've noticed these two engines are nearly same price so want to know what peoples thoughts are especially if they have driven both engine types.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Hi,
its really a diesel v petrol argument - I prefer petrol and you will find the P250 much smoother and more powerful - BUT you will pay a price at the fuel pump for that - IF you can live with that (like me) - then I think petrol is a no brainer
Just my opinion.
Cheers

#3 ·
I've come from a 3l merc and have a D180. It's not as quick for sure but it's still a good engine. Doesn't feel slow either and nice low end torque

#9 ·
Only you will know if you've made the right choice for your own needs...however, I recently bought a R-Dynamic D180 SE having migrated from a 2016 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 (269BHP) , initially I was concerned about the potential drop in power to 178BHP r, but, it has been unfounded so far.

I've not been on a long motorway journey yet, or pushed the Velar on the motorway, but in town and country driving I can't quite believe that I'm 91BHP down compared to the Touareg.

The Velar is very torquey and is much better at pulling away from junctions etc and when I've needed to speed up, the response is instant. I (like many others I suspect) went for the Stratstone deal based on the value for money and whilst I would have preferred a P250 variant, it wasn't an option.

I've had my Velar for a month (next week) and am totally pleased with it, no issues and its a pleasure to be in it

#10 ·
Deffo puts my mind at rest, to be honest my wife will be driving it 80% of the time and with the BMW she's never had it out of comfort mode so this will be more than enough.. I did go back and drive the D180 and my wife had a go but was chatting that much to the sales rep she never took notice how it drove...
RichWilkie said:
Only you will know if you've made the right choice for your own needs...however, I recently bought a R-Dynamic D180 SE having migrated from a 2016 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 (269BHP) , initially I was concerned about the potential drop in power to 178BHP r, but, it has been unfounded so far.

I've not been on a long motorway journey yet, or pushed the Velar on the motorway, but in town and country driving I can't quite believe that I'm 91BHP down compared to the Touareg.

The Velar is very torquey and is much better at pulling away from junctions etc and when I've needed to speed up, the response is instant. I (like many others I suspect) went for the Stratstone deal based on the value for money and whilst I would have preferred a P250 variant, it wasn't an option.

I've had my Velar for a month (next week) and am totally pleased with it, no issues and its a pleasure to be in it
Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I got the D180 as well without test driving and was worried it was underpowered... But I was pleasantly surprised that it definitely has pull!

On a side note, I was shocked at first that the info says 595km available on a full tank... even the Land Rover delivery guy said oh it must be new so the reading is wrong (he probably didn't know much about Velars and thought they were all supposed to give 800km per tank?). I came from a MB GL350 and could get close to 1000km per tank. But anyway, it is still always under 600km on a full tank. I believe it is because the tank is so small.

#12 ·
the tank is only 60 litres, but I have not been experiencing great MPG so far. Average is low 30's and if i do a quick trip to the shops, ie 1 mile, i will get circa 18 mpg... best i have achieved is 46mpg, but that was on a motorway doing 50 mph is a speed restriction zone.... hoping it will improve.

#13 ·
i too am pleasantly surprised by the power in the D180, has plenty of pull and accelerates and overtakes with ease. I'm doing mid 20's on the MPG but did hit mid 30's on a motorway run so im hoping this will improve with time. I'm still on my first tank of fuel as it's been sitting on the driveway over christmas but will do a lot more mileage now I'm back at work. I came from a 3.0L grand Cherokee and the velar seems every bit as punchy, i wrongly assumed i would lose a lot of power.

#14 ·
I think I have said before, on my180D F-Pace the mpg was quite low for the first about 8,000 miles gradually improving as the mileage increased. Once over 8,000 miles I regularly achieved high 40s and occasionally low 50s mpg on motorway journeys over 50 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.