Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Smartphone Pack/Apple Car Play, Experts?

16K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  We88ie 
#1 ·
So just ordered my Velar R-Dynamic D300 HSE, gonna have to wait until March :roll:

Does anyone know what the official take is on the Smartphone Pack situation, ie will my Velar be ACP ready? Does it need to be factory installed with hardware/software or both.
I am aware that it is an option for £200 (currently not on any configurator in the UK) but will it be a case of simply activating it through a software update at the factory or dealer.
There's way to much conflicting information out there and the dealers are not very clued up either, any information would be greatly appreciated. :D

#2 ·
Hi Mate,

From what I've learned via the forums I think the following is the case:

New Velar's should come with the latest software required for ACP but will not be activated - dealer activation £200 will be needed.

That's officially anyway, unofficially some people are managing to convince their dealers to activate for free due to bugs in the system etc.

#4 ·
Mine was built yesterday and looking on Topix (using my car's VIN) it is quite explicit, see the extract below.

LESS ACTIVE VANES
LESS AIR QUALITY
<COLOR color="#FF0000">LESS ANDROID AUTO
LESS APPLE CARPLAY
</COLOR>
LESS AUXILLARY BATTERIES
LESS BAIDU CARLIFE
LESS BREAKDOWN WARNING SIGN
LESS BUMPER APERTURE

At the time I ordered mine (mid Oct) it wasn't possible to specify AA or ACP on the order configurator (customer or dealer versions). As I discussed the lack of the option when I placed the order it will be interesting to see what my dealer does with regards to activating it.

I know on the F-Pace dealers can load and activate AA and ACP as mine was done last week at £0 cost to me.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am going to get my dealer onto it, however I am pretty sure from you answers that it will be ACP ready but as you've mentioned will need activation. I guess quite soon it will be on the configurator (it is on the US one) and hopefully can be added before the cut off date. One hopes!

#6 ·
Daws4137 said:
Got mine Saturday ....No ACP !!!!
Let us know if you manage to get it activated with a software update through the dealer, that way we'll know it came out of JLR ACP/AA ready.

#8 ·
I've just posted on another thread re a slight audio issue I have, the dealer ( not where i purchased it from) noticed I didn't have ACP, stated I should have with MY19 . Booked in for the warranty audio issue and they stated they would do the relevant software update . So ........hopefully ACP coming my way next week. Let's see.

#10 ·
Spoke to my dealer today to finalise my collection on the 15th and he said if AA and ACP weren't active when the servicing department did the PDI they would activate it prior to my collection.

There appears to be no consistency on this, even between dealers in the same group reading the comments in the thread.

#11 ·
Unofficial word is that owners' orders being fulfilled right now, who didn't have the option to spec the Smartphone pack, should hassle their dealer to get the upgrade FOC.

Mine has after me telling them JLR advises that they have suggested to dealers provide this when asked.

All MY19 models are software compatible but ACP/AA needs to be activated.

If any dealer gives you gip.... be a tiger... grrrrrrrr...

#12 ·
Spoke to JLR today and they have said that a ACP/AA will be available on the Velar (Trim Specific) as a software update either during build or retro upgraded at your dealer if your build is imminent, he said however that in my case which has a March delivery it should be factory upgraded by then, in either case there would be no cost and that he quote" wish the dealers would know this", but they seem to be misinformed most of the time.
Well let's see if what they have said is true, however I gather for sure that all Velars MY19.5 will be enabled, they'll just need activation through the update, whether it will really be free remains to be seen.

#13 ·
dc44back said:
Unofficial word is that owners' orders being fulfilled right now, who didn't have the option to spec the Smartphone pack, should hassle their dealer to get the upgrade FOC.

Mine has after me telling them JLR advises that they have suggested to dealers provide this when asked.

All MY19 models are software compatible but ACP/AA needs to be activated.

If any dealer gives you gip.... be a tiger... grrrrrrrr...
Great, pretty much echos what I have been told today, so far my dealer has insisted it would be a cost option of £200, seems that would be a retro upgrade cost, I think that if the software upgrade is done at the build stage there'll be no talk of ££££s

#14 ·
I have had AA and ACP added to my 2016 (MY17) F-Pace free of charge (as a sweetener due to some other issues), so it is not limited to MY19 vehicles. It was done when it was upgraded to 18C firmware.

#16 ·
MTD1988 said:
Where do I stand as I've had my car a week now? Obviously I want ACP, he told me £240+VAT
If you check Page 10 of the UK Specification and Guide Price Brochure (August 2018) it clearly states that SE & HSE models come with "Smartphone Pack consisting of InControl Apps" the Smartphone pack is what dealers are saying you need for ACP/AA.

On the US site by definition the Smartphone Pack includes ACP/AA as an option, therefore if it is included according to the UK Spec & price guide, then it shouldn't be a payable item. This I think needs challenging.

From USA Configurator

Communication Device Portable communications device Font Mobile device Screenshot

UK Spec & Price Guide (Aug 2018)

https://www.landrover.co.uk/Images/Range-Rover-Velar-Specification-And-Price-Guide-1L5601910000SGBEN01P_tcm295-599038.pdf?_ga=2.228675164.176906359.1543761811-604406507.1540931357&_gac=1.94787694.1543575788.Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGIJvB6ZsNtKcuGRhnYOk3fUPQqHY6n4xh4GgztO0bBQjAq-Q8MxEngaAiqKEALw_wcB

The guy at JLR told me it would either be factory installed or dealer installed at no cost. I should give them a call and confirm 0370 500 0500.

Attachments

#17 ·
I'm due to collect my new velar next week and i'm hoping it has ACP already installed, i think the £200 dealers are asking is a bit poor given the value of these cars and seeing as ACP comes as standard on so many budget vehicles.

#18 ·
Landrover + options = money
They arnt the only premium brand to charge for everything.

#19 ·
Pcheaven said:
Landrover + options = money
They arnt the only premium brand to charge for everything.
i've just heard from my dealer and was told it is chargeable at £200. Because the stratstone deal is so heavily discounted already they can't do it. To be honest as much as i love ACP the main reason i use it is spotify and waze. Spotify works on in-control anyway and i found the pro nav fairy efficient last week in a loan car so would i pay £200 to use waze? Thats what i have to ask myself. I think i'll see how i go and if i really miss waze I'll put my hand in my pocket.

#20 ·
Aside from Apple Music which I use a lot.
ACP isn't the end all of nav/media systems
The LR one is more than fine for me

Now, if the maps were pinchable / swipe able to navigate, then that would be different.

#21 ·
LeoLondon said:
MTD1988 said:
Where do I stand as I've had my car a week now? Obviously I want ACP, he told me £240+VAT
If you check Page 10 of the UK Specification and Guide Price Brochure (August 2018) it clearly states that SE & HSE models come with "Smartphone Pack consisting of InControl Apps" the Smartphone pack is what dealers are saying you need for ACP/AA.

On the US site by definition the Smartphone Pack includes ACP/AA as an option, therefore if it is included according to the UK Spec & price guide, then it shouldn't be a payable item. This I think needs challenging.

From USA Configurator

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 22.12.11.png

UK Spec & Price Guide (Aug 2018)

https://www.landrover.co.uk/Images/Range-Rover-Velar-Specification-And-Price-Guide-1L5601910000SGBEN01P_tcm295-599038.pdf?_ga=2.228675164.176906359.1543761811-604406507.1540931357&_gac=1.94787694.1543575788.Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGIJvB6ZsNtKcuGRhnYOk3fUPQqHY6n4xh4GgztO0bBQjAq-Q8MxEngaAiqKEALw_wcB

The guy at JLR told me it would either be factory installed or dealer installed at no cost. I should give them a call and confirm 0370 500 0500.
Do you have a screenshot of the page in the uk spec? I threw my brochure away now I've taken delivery

#24 ·
MTD1988 said:
At the moment they're fobbing me off, JLR are going to ring me back.
Let us know what they say.

I have PM'd Chand from JLR who responds on the forum, he has kindly promised to get back within a week with a definitive answer. I know some people aren't bothered, but I use it a lot and it's nothing short of a rip off for some software on a car that costs £70k+ ;)

#25 ·
LeoLondon, as I have written earlier in the thread my Topix list says less AA and less ACP, however I spoke to my dealer and they have promised that if it turns up from the factory without them active they will activate them as part of the PDI.

I suspect that once the dust settles and JLR get their act together it will end up as standard on some builds (HSE and SE possibly) and a cost option on others. Why JLR allow upgrades and changes to escape before they have set out their policy as opposed to having a smooth release strategy I have no idea, but I guess it's the way they have worked for decades :D :lol:

#26 ·
I went to view the car I ordered yesterday (pre the PDI) and the first thing I checked was whether ACP was installed, it wasn't!!

I mentioned to the sales guy that I would like ACP and any other software update be installed before I collect on the 14th, his reply was it's £200, I nearly exploded considering all the hassle I've had with them throughout the past 4 months. He suggested he would have a word with the Service Manager.

I hope it won't be another argument on Friday :evil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.