Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Engine Knock/Low Fuel Pressure

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fatmanz 
#1 ·
Having driven the car all day on Saturday without issue it started juddering quite violently at idle and lost power during acceleration on the way home. No warning lights on the dash, definite smell of petrol from the exhaust but not from the engine bay.

Managed to get it home, left it overnight and gave it a try in the morning, initially the same judder came back. Opened up the hood and restarted the engine and I could see it was shaking around quite a bit. After a few minutes idling, the juddering seemed to stop and there was only the occasional knock coming from the engine. Initially i thought it might be an air intake issue or a duct or sensor wire that had come loose but everything in the engine (that I could reach) was securely fastened.

Had LR assistance out at lunch time to take a look, they couldn't reproduce the violent shaking but there was definitely more vibration than normal and the occasional knock at higher revs. Nothing visibly loose in the engine bay. They looked at the fault codes and two had registered: engine knock and low fuel pressure. The codes were not persistent so they couldn't reproduce or diagnose a specific fault.

Going in to service tomorrow for the technicians to take a closer look. Couldn't find anyone with a similar issue so thought I would post it up, it's a P300 engine.

See less See more
#2 ·
Service is booked in for the 23rd which is slightly annoying but the dealership claims to be very busy at the moment. I'm not that surprised with all the issues people are having and the crazy 12 hour software updates.

In the mean time LR Assistance have given me a courtesy car which turns out to be a brand new Jaguar F-Pace 25D R-Sport. Very interesting for me as I had an order in for this exact car before the Velar was announced and way before the P300 engine became available.

Having driven my car for a while now, and given that i'll be using the courtesy car heavily over Christmas/New Year, I'll probably do a separate post comparing the D240 and P300 engines and maybe a comparison between the two cars.

#4 ·
Loz said:
That should be an interesting comparison. I wonder if the F Pace suffered from similar volumes of issues. I guess not seeing as the touch pro dudo was not out when the F pace launched.
Loz, the F-Pace had even more issues :) The soft/firmware that went into the Velar was a couple of iterations on from the original ICTP that was on the early F-Pace.

From memory:
1. Reversing camera may or may not come on when reverse selected.
2. Reverse camera view heavily distorted such that it was more likely to cause the driver to hit things than not using it at all.
3. Proximity warning caused by the exhaust output on 2.0D models when reversing.
4. Centre screen taking literally minutes to start up when entering the car and especially after short stops like refuelling.

Not the slowest start but fairly typical for that release :lol:
5. Phone and or media being unavailable until car turned off, locked and left for a couple of minutes.

I'm sure there were other issues but that is all I can recall off the top of my head from my own car, more than a few F-Paces were successfully rejected due to the malfunctioning ICTP.

Currently both vehicles (along with the XF, XE, and other JLR vehicles) are now using the same base system at release 18C which, though still not perfect, is a huge improvement from the earlier versions. One thing that did work untill earlier this year but doesn't now is being able to store a home page and favourites in the browser, it worked up until 18B and still doesn't work on 18C.

#5 ·
Update:

Engine problem was diagnosed as a faulty coil pack on one cylinder which was replaced under warranty. 1 cylinder not firing does seem to explain the engine shake and the faint smell of unburnt petrol form the exhaust.

Fuel lines were all inspected and no issues were detected so the low fuel pressure warning remains a mystery but possibly related to the fuel injection into the non-firing cylinder.

Software version was also updated to 18D_18.47.5-269316 to resolve (very infrequent) UI glitches.

Battery reconditioned to resolve auto stop/start issue (voltage too low).

Left steering control was also replaced due to a recent service action notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.