Range Rover Velar Forum banner

N128 - Balancer Shaft Whine

15K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  MikeJL 
#1 ·
Managed to get 5000 miles on the clock before getting this problem (N128 - Balancer Shaft Whine).

Listen carefully to engine when accelerating and if you hear a whine then get it looked at.

They think they can fix it but have heard of engines getting replaced.

They are letting me drive it for 4 weeks before getting it in as no loan car available, must think it will last that long :?

#2 ·
Had exactly the same problem with 240 engine after 7000 miles. Dealer had to replace balance shaft which is an engine out operation because JLR would not authorise a replacement engine due to cost cutting programme in place. Dealer had car for 8 weeks whilst they argued with JLR and when the engine was finally reassembled a serious oil leak appeared.From our experience I would recommend your dealer tries for a new engine as stripping and rebuilding an engine is a highly risky operation by a dealer. Due to the problems encountered and threatening JLR with exposure in the motoring press we eventually received £1200 in compensation so it would have been cheaper for JLR to have replaced the engine rather than let the dealer mess about replacing the balancing shaft.

#3 ·
Spencerwilks said:
Had exactly the same problem with 240 engine after 7000 miles. Dealer had to replace balance shaft which is an engine out operation because JLR would not authorise a replacement engine due to cost cutting programme in place. Dealer had car for 8 weeks whilst they argued with JLR and when the engine was finally reassembled a serious oil leak appeared.From our experience I would recommend your dealer tries for a new engine as stripping and rebuilding an engine is a highly risky operation by a dealer. Due to the problems encountered and threatening JLR with exposure in the motoring press we eventually received £1200 in compensation so it would have been cheaper for JLR to have replaced the engine rather than let the dealer mess about replacing the balancing shaft.
Did the replacement shaft rectify the problem?

How did you manage to get the compensation?

They told me it would be in a few days???

#5 ·
Does this affect the d300 ?

#7 ·
J77 said:
Are you booked in at Cupar?
Booked it in at Edinburgh, as far as I know engine needs to be removed and thought better to go to bigger garage.

Bit p**ssed off that it has only done 5,000 miles and engine needs to be stripped down.

#8 ·
Mac said:
Spencerwilks said:
Did the replacement shaft rectify the problem?

How did you manage to get the compensation?

They told me it would be in a few days???
The replacement balance shaft and bearings certainly stopped the whine. An oil leak appeared after rebuilding the engine so the job had to be attempted again. We insisted on monthly inspections by the dealer for the first 3 months. Now done 14000 miles but if the problem comes back it will be a new engine next time.

Compensation was paid by the dealer

A few days? I dont think so. Ours was at the dealer for 8 weeks waiting for parts and fitting the job in around their normal work..

#9 ·
I had the same problem, just got the car back. Replacement took a week and it seems that the problem got fixed. Feedback was that if it re-occurs, they'll replace the engine (again). That would be the engine #3 in a one year period. They stated that the latest version of engine should be better... I've had this 180d Velar now 12 months, driven 70 000km - and could write a thick book about the issues the car have had.

#10 ·
So I have another issue to add to the very long list of electrical problems (which I have been told it has been resolved today). I was experiencing a loud dull vibrating noise (almost sounding like a SVR) coming from the exhaust (intermittently) AND whistling/whining noise from the engine when excelerating.

Dealer has confirmed that balance shafts need replacing - again "will be booked in for a couple days"

Can any one else confirm they had a similar noise from the exhaust? or do I need to chase to diagnose another problem?

Velar 180d R-Dynamic SE

#11 ·
Bought my Velar D275 R Dynamic SE 10 days ago. 5,000 on clock and balance shaft problems; vibration, whistling. Its being picked up tomorrow. Now I know why the first owner got rid of it with only 4.800 on the clock! Can still hand back to dealership. Should I?

#12 ·
msarshid@gmail.com said:
So I have another issue to add to the very long list of electrical problems (which I have been told it has been resolved today). I was experiencing a loud dull vibrating noise (almost sounding like a SVR) coming from the exhaust (intermittently) AND whistling/whining noise from the engine when excelerating.

Dealer has confirmed that balance shafts need replacing - again "will be booked in for a couple days"

Can any one else confirm they had a similar noise from the exhaust? or do I need to chase to diagnose another problem?

Velar 180d R-Dynamic SE
Hello msarshid hope you are well and you have finally put together that "Faulty" Velar - I´m somehow experiencing similar challenges.
What else did they replace appart of the balance shafts?

As to your concern, i´m not facing any noise from the Exhaust, just vibrations after the balance shaft was replaced.

Hope this helps.
Dan

#13 ·
Spencerwilks said:
+1 - Same scenario here! I did not recive a compensation whatsover. In fact I was not very well looked after and even more after I went a couple of times more to see where the vibrations in the steering wheel I´m experiencing between 50 and 60 mph are coming from. They say that thats the behavior of the car and the 2.0 engine.... Come on!

#14 ·
My dealer picked up the dreaded whine when the car was in for its two-year service (13K miles). I hadn't noticed anything wrong, and having just picked up the car following repair, I'm not sure I can hear anything different in the engine's note now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.