Over the air update now workng

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Jim55

Re: Over the air update now workng

Post by Jim55 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Have to admit I am beginning to wonder if mine did actually update over the air or if it simply didn't register a dealer performed update on ICTP for a couple of days after it was with the dealer and then the telematics a day or two after that (as has been suggested), though my dealer maintains I'm not the only one to have had over the air updates - including my salesman on his own Evoque.

Points in favour of over the air updates working:
1. The ICTP update occurred overnight 21/22 December, last time car was with the dealers was a.m. the 18th when I collected it.
2. The Telematics went from blank/no updates to 13.2 (if I recall correctly) after the ICTP went to 18D on the 22nd and then a day or so later to 14.2.
3. My data allowance was completely used up between the time I collected the car and the sim was inserted on the 18th and the evening of the 21st, even though no high data usage functions were or are turned on.
4. JLR tech support logged into or attempted to log into my car a number of times during this period remotely, in an attempt to resolve the issues that were ongoing with InControl not working, though the car was connected to the JLR network and they could see it.

Against over the air updates working successfully:
1. No one else on the forum has seen a successful over the air update, which it would be reasonable to expect others on 18C to have seen, even if not all yet.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm

18B added the capability for over-the-air updates, it certainly hasn’t been switched on universally. Perhaps JLR made use of it to push out the latest software to you in an attempt to resolve your issues?
Bit naughty of them not to have checked with you first. If you’d needed the car that night you might have found it disabled whilst the update installed. At the very least, you would have been without the ICTP Systems.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 18B

John MH

Post by John MH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:23 am

Took my car in for a AdBlue DEF top up in Saturday that was included in my service plan. Spoke to the Service Department Manager who said OTA updated on Velars has not been activated so it is not possible to do an OTA update. He went on to say that software updates for specific faults can be done free of charge by dealers but if there was no fault present then the update 'could' be charged for. He also said the OTA updates had been enabled on the Jaguar I-Pace and may be available on the Velar in 6 to 12 months time.
D300 R-Dynamic HSE Firenze Red Tan/Ebony

DJY

Post by DJY » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am

Jim55 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Have to admit I am beginning to wonder if mine did actually update over the air or if it simply didn't register a dealer performed update on ICTP for a couple of days after it was with the dealer and then the telematics a day or two after that (as has been suggested), though my dealer maintains I'm not the only one to have had over the air updates - including my salesman on his own Evoque.

1. The ICTP update occurred overnight 21/22 December, last time car was with the dealers was a.m. the 18th when I collected it.
2. The Telematics went from blank/no updates to 13.2 (if I recall correctly) after the ICTP went to 18D on the 22nd and then a day or so later to 14.2.
3. My data allowance was completely used up between the time I collected the car and the sim was inserted on the 18th and the evening of the 21st, even though no high data usage functions were or are turned on.
4. JLR tech support logged into or attempted to log into my car a number of times during this period remotely, in an attempt to resolve the issues that were ongoing with InControl not working, though the car was connected to the JLR network and they could see it.

1. No one else on the forum has seen a successful over the air update, which it would be reasonable to expect others on 18C to have seen, even if not all yet.
Likewise - something funny happened and I used up more data on my SIM than usual. However I have just noticed that the car is no longer connecting to my home WiFi - it has AGAIN forgotten the password. This may explain data usage

The whole issue was probably just another software glitch - for example today on the Remote app while all my weekend journeys are reported, the map however still shows my car parked where I stopped for an hour on Saturday afternoon; good job I don't rely on this to find my car .

Every day is an adventure - "what is not working today"; perhaps this could be a thread in its own right.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 am

Indeed, according to the app I’ve not used the car since 7 December. Despite uninstalling the app , turning journeys on and off, bleating on the reviews page of the app..

“Every day is an adventure - "what is not working today"; perhaps this could be a thread in its own right.”

This is a great idea! Are you going to kick it off? :lol: I can’t because I’m not using car today so don’t know!
D 300 First Edition Corris Grey

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

John MH wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:23 am
Took my car in for a AdBlue DEF top up in Saturday that was included in my service plan. Spoke to the Service Department Manager who said OTA updated on Velars has not been activated so it is not possible to do an OTA update. He went on to say that software updates for specific faults can be done free of charge by dealers but if there was no fault present then the update 'could' be charged for. He also said the OTA updates had been enabled on the Jaguar I-Pace and may be available on the Velar in 6 to 12 months time.
Thank you for sharing. Exactly what I was thinking. 👍

We88ie

Post by We88ie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm

DJY wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am
Jim55 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Likewise - something funny happened and I used up more data on my SIM than usual. However I have just noticed that the car is no longer connecting to my home WiFi - it has AGAIN forgotten the password. This may explain data usage

The whole issue was probably just another software glitch - for example today on the Remote app while all my weekend journeys are reported, the map however still shows my car parked where I stopped for an hour on Saturday afternoon; good job I don't rely on this to find my car .

Every day is an adventure - "what is not working today"; perhaps this could be a thread in its own right.
Jim thanks for this. I have spoken with Dealer who have said 18C is the most stable and 18D isn’t being widely pushed out due to issues? JLR customer services as usual
Not interested told to book in with dealer who will do more diagnostics. A joke to be fair.

What’s your thoughts on 18D? I still loose live services if nip out of the car into a shop and fails when restart.

Keep getting Velar screen saver or map scrolling on digital dash. Bottom screen still freezes occasionally and missing art work on everything other than Apple CarPlay on top screen. Surely 18D more stable?

Thanks

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm

I have only had the car a few weeks (750 miles) and so far it has appeared reasonably stable with 18C (did forget climate settings between starts and favourites disappeared on lower screen, both known issues apparently) which I only had for a couple of days. Only one reboot shortly after 18D had appeared and since then no issues spotted.

If the Velar experience of ICTP is anything like that with the F-Pace then different vehicles with different options can have totally different experiences with nominally the same software versions.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

basel

Post by basel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 am

Made the first maintenance ... engine update, change and incontrol ... my dealer has assured me that the OTA is not active yet

IMG_4418.JPG

Velar P250 SE

tanis

Post by tanis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

I've just noticed that yesterday the car's sim used 1,86GB of data and some other day also 440MB, considering I don't have the wifi Hotspot activated and I use ACP, it should go for any update isn't it?

I'll check version numbers later.

937742F1-C65E-41C2-BCEB-F5130B1E53CF.jpeg

D300 SE. Silicon Silver. With too many options.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”