Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Sold the Velar

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve_P 
#1 ·
So after having the Velar in the shop for the last 9 months, I decided it was enough, sold my beautiful Velar and cut my losses. Land Rover really needs to stop thinking they are number 1 and that their cars are faultless. What really shocked me that Land Rover can say there is nothing wrong with the Velar even though the dealership had to replace the following:

- two windshields
- sunroof panoramic roof
- drivers seat base
- sunroof sunshade and had to rebond the sunshade rail because it was separating from the body
- rear seat motors
- suspensions bushings
- exhaust parts
- and various other parts

Even though there were no mechanical issues apart from sometimes a jerky transmission, the car was faultless except for two major things. Squeaks and Rattles! I understand no car is perfect and sometimes you get the not so perfect one off the production line so I was more than flexible with Land Rover and the dealer in letting them have all the time they need. For 93k all in when I bought it back in September 2017, there was not a single issue for the first 6 months. I was loving every single minute I was spending in it, so much so I had driven it to the scottish highlands and back as well as Germany to make the Nurburgring pilgrimage and the Netherlands.

6 months in squeaks and rattles started to appear and the dealer decided to proceed and replace all these parts. **I must say the dealer went above and beyond to try and help so much so that they had the service manager drive out to central london which is 1 hour away from the dealership after hours to test drive and deliver the car multiple times.** So 7 Months in I am really coming to my limit and tell the dealer that there is something clearly wrong and they need to reject the car. I had mentioned it a couple times in the previous 7 months after all the replacement items had to be put on the car. The dealer proceeded to get a factory tech to come down to the dealer (which is 1 hour away from where I live and test the car on country lanes) even though the squeaks and rattles I was having was in Central London. Land Rover customer service (which there was no customer service) proceeds to say there is nothing wrong with the car having had that entire list of parts being replaced and that the factory tech said there was only issues coming from the seat base. They wouldn't even allow the factory tech to take the 1 hour drive to central london to figure out the noises. Still after the dealer fixed what the factory tech said, the squeaks and rattles were still there. At this point I had enough, and told the dealer that this was not acceptable and that they should buy back the car or help me get into a new car. The dealer pushes their Land Rover contact to offer me compensation and an extended warranty if I were to keep the car or the ability to get compensation in terms of the factory contributing money towards a RR Sport. I had test driven the other velars at the dealership and the dealership manager and I came to the conclusion they were worse off than the car I had. Land Rover came back and offered me £2,000 for my 9 month inconvenience (along with the dealer matching £2,000) but would not come to the table for an assisted vehicle trade in to get me into a sport. This was ridiculous considering since I was purchasing a new Jaguar Project 8 as well within a timeframe of 1 year and a half, spending close to 300k on both cars. After more pressuring and a couple weeks later, Land Rover comes back with £5,000 (along with the dealer matching £2,000) and now come and help with an assisted vehicle trade in and help me get into a sport with the dealer taking all their profit and Land Rover contributing £25k, £50k for my Velar which still meant I had to contribute close to £30k on a £110k Range Rover Sport. Land Rover wanted me to pay another £30k even though the depreciation on my car for the 9 months that it was at the dealer was their fault. To have lost half the value of the velar in such a short time is ridiculous. So I have jumped ship went to another manufacturer who will hopefully value my money a lot more. Instead Land Rover could have nipped this in the bud months ago and tried to keep me within the brand especially since I was spending so much money with them. JLR really needs to give their customer service a total makeover.

Shame really since I couldn't say enough good things about the Velar when it was issue free and I loved the car so much. Like every car I buy, I intend to keep the car and enjoy it for years like my previous BMW X3 which I had for 5 years and 70,000 miles. I wish everyone here the best of luck with their velar's and if anyone needs help with some issues that I experienced I can try help the best that I can.

For those that want to follow the journey or ask me questions since I most likely won't be back on the forum very often, I am on Instagram @PR08JECT

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Sky Tire

View attachment 976

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm considering doing the same thing if I can't get the software update I need, dealers up here just fobbing me off with "no there's no latest update" rubbish!

I'll try another dealer which will be last chance saloon for LR. Shame as I do like the Velar, but to many dealer visits and they just ain't interested.

#3 ·
J77 said:
I'm considering doing the same thing if I can't get the software update I need, dealers up here just fobbing me off with "no there's no latest update" rubbish!

I'll try another dealer which will be last chance saloon for LR. Shame as I do like the Velar, but to many dealer visits and they just ain't interested.
It is a shame. There are definitely software updates but depends on whether the dealer has good customer service because sometimes it can take up to 20 hours to update according to my dealer.

#5 ·
Marto27 said:
£93k for a velar and £110k for an RRS? What models are you buying? Gold plated?
Velar was D300 R-dynamic HSE with every additional option and every carbon extra.
RRS was SDV6 AUTOBIOGRAPHY DYNAMIC with almost every option.

#6 ·
Very sorry to read this Marc. Had been wondering what the status was with your situation, and am disappointed to see the result. Don't blame you one bit for moving on. Makes me nervous for the future, but I'm still faultless since Oct 2017 with exception of 2x software updates. Haven't tried to get quoted on resale to calculate depreciation so far, but I'm sure it's not great. In any case, wishing you the best and will follow your project8. Would you share who the new manufacturer is that you're going to and what the ride is? Curious which beast you're after next :twisted:

-Jake

#7 ·
Having just seen the BBC news where Micheal Gove must see that his words are now bringing LandRover down - the word that electric Velars are coming!! - Well amazing news Market Harborough is too install two electric charging points - clearly getting ready for the electric revolution. Total chaos bought on by reckless words. Must think about giving away my D300.

#8 ·
Batman said:
Having just seen the BBC news where Micheal Gove must see that his words are now bringing LandRover down - the word that electric Velars are coming!! - Well amazing news Market Harborough is too install two electric charging points - clearly getting ready for the electric revolution. Total chaos bought on by reckless words. Must think about giving away my D300.
TWO electric charging points....... wow, how far sighted of them..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.