Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Rotary gear selector sticking in Drive

22K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  cam2023 
#1 ·
Greetings! New to the forum.

I just picked up my 2019 P250 on new years eve. I love it! But earlier today I had a little bit of trouble turning the gear selector from D to P. When trying to park after a 30 min drive, the selector wouldn't move. It was stuck in D. After the third try, it finally went into park. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but it did the same thing 3 hours later. It wouldn't turn to D position until after 3-4 turns. Has anyone else had this happen? Am I doing something incorrectly. I noticed that the selector will push down like a button when in drive but will not in park. Does this have anything to do with it? Should I call the dealer?

Thanks you for your help.

#2 ·
In the uk I would get Lr assist out to have a look before going to a dealer. Say it's dangerous as you may not be able to select reverse etc.

#5 ·
Just checked on mine. Pushing down stops the gear selecting from going anti clockwise. You can only go to S if you push down. So I can only assume yours is not faulty

#6 ·
I reached out to my dealer. He is going to have a service advisor call me tomorrow. In the mean time, I did some research on RR's with rotary style gear selectors. Most notably, the Evoque. I was able to find a few similar occurrences where the selector "sticks" in D or R. But I wasn't able to find a cause or fix. I will keep the forum updated in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

#10 ·
Curious if you had any positive feedback from the Service Advisor? My 2016 LR Discovery Sport got stuck in Reverse while backing out of my driveway and would not shift into any gear. The rotary would not budge. I managed to parallel park on the curb but still stuck in R'. I turned the car off hoping it would put itself in Park while it shut down... but it didn't! The car is now OFF, and will not start because the gearbox is not in PARK. I have tried many things posted online and have had zero luck. The closest dealer is approx 100 miles away in either direction from me and feel stranded. I have called LR USA and they don't have any history of this issue and my car is now out of warranty... Any help out there would be highly appreciated~

#8 ·
There is a manual release to enable the gearbox to be put in neutral for towing, when the car is stuck in park. This is documented in the car iguide manual, BUT it doesn't appear to tell you how to do it.

There are a few videos on youtube showing how to do it for other JLR models, but not for the Velar. You would think that as an important safety feature they would provide instructions. What if your car broke down in a dangerous location, so needed moved immediately, rather than waiting for recovery to arrive. I remember seeing a police video of an Evoque stuck on the motorway and causing massive chaos because they couldn't get it into neutral, so unable to push it out of the way.

#9 ·
The gear selectors were a common issue in the early days as fitted to early model Jag XF's (2008) - I had the issue with it stuck in D or R 2-3 times than finally stuck in D when parked facing a wall. At that time and it was cured by fitting a new PCB in the gear selector module IIRC. Not seen the issue since then in more recent cars - 2011 XF, 2015 XE & now Velar.