Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Roof rails

17K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  kymo 
#1 ·
Hey, Unfortunately my Velar didn't have the rails so I have now acquired a set.
Does anyone have any experience or info they can share with regards to removing the head liner or as least if possible the sides as to get to the fixings to fit my rails?
TIA

#3 ·
Hi Kog9 - I am in the same situation but in Denmark - can you share where you purchased the rails and how you retrofitted them? I was under the impression that retro fitting was absolutely impossible...? That they needed to be mounted during assembly since drilling through the roof was required.
Very keen to hear your story - thanks

#4 ·
Hi mipecs- I purchased a set in black on Ebay from China,
Took a few weeks to arrive but we'll packaged etc. I popped off the flat cover pieces on my Velar and there are 5 clips I can see the bolt heads. I removed the door rubbers,visor,hand grabs and interior lights on the side.
With a plastic chisel I'm able to lower one side of the head liner just enough to fit a ratchet with a 3" extension in between the gap and onto the nut. The car frame has holes in it where these are located and I found it very easy to locate onto the nut and undo, the plastic clips and bolts just lift of then. The rails have bolts pre built into the rails so don't move etc and when offered up line up perfectly with the 5 holes in my roof. The trickiest part then is putting the nuts on, I found it best to place a nut into the socket with the extension bar and no ratchet and feel my way onto the bolt. It is possible to see these locations as the liner does drop enough to peek through.
There's certainly no drilling needed and once done very easy to do the other side.
Worth mentioning I do have panoramic sunroof so not sure if this made my insulation easier or harder. I do have so paper work somewhere I'll try and post on here to that'll help

#6 ·
Great - thanks for that!! Would you be able to look up seller name on eBay? Then I will try to get a similar set now that I know it is good quality.

And wow on your wheels - are they original or from Devoted Wheels (I know they have some that looks very much like the originals but half the price )?

#7 ·
No worries, They're original 22's...
Here's screen shots of the ones I bought, as I'm in the UK they were delivered by UPS and I had to pay £27 import tax on delivery, if you have the same it maybe worth making an offer to compensate this

Attachments

#9 ·
Picked up a genuine set and fitted them today. As already said, the first side takes for ever but the second only took about 30mins start to finish.

#11 ·
There are no official instructions.

You have to be brave in places when pulling the headlining away to get to the nuts.

#13 ·
Kog9 said:
Took a few weeks to arrive but we'll packaged etc. I popped off the flat cover pieces on my Velar and there are 5 clips I can see the bolt heads. I removed the door rubbers,visor,hand grabs and interior lights on the side.
With a plastic chisel I'm able to lower one side of the head liner just enough to fit a ratchet with a 3" extension in between the gap and onto the nut. The car frame has holes in it where these are located and I found it very easy to locate onto the nut and undo, the plastic clips and bolts just lift of then. The rails have bolts pre built into the rails so don't move etc and when offered up line up perfectly with the 5 holes in my roof. The trickiest part then is putting the nuts on, I found it best to place a nut into the socket with the extension bar and no ratchet and feel my way onto the bolt. It is possible to see these locations as the liner does drop enough to peek through.
There's certainly no drilling needed and once done very easy to do the other side.
Worth mentioning I do have panoramic sunroof so not sure if this made my insulation easier or harder. I do have so paper work somewhere I'll try and post on here to that'll help
waouw that's a brave job. I did purchase my mud flaps out of china. not sure I would take the risk with roof bars given what would happen if the bars were to brake.

having said that I am really impressed how you succeded mounting those roof bars all by yourself plus with little/ no instructions.

I remember having read everywhere that even land rover dealer would refuse to retrofit the roof bars due to potential conflict with lateral airbags, etc That was wrong I assume .

well done indeed. I am tempted...

#14 ·
Kog9 said:
Oh yes please, post it if you can!!!

#16 ·
Hi ludo, yes there are air bags in the locations we need to work on fitting the rails, but not in the way so didn't worry me too much, I'm no expert so maybe just lucky ☺
Maybe disconnecting the battery might help I'm not sure &#x1f937-2642;
I'm 100% confident in the rails build wise etc and I wouldn't be surprised if JLR didn't get the factory fitted ones made in China 😆

#18 ·
I am just about to purchase a first edition, but need a roof box but the car has no rails. Is this something a garage or Halfords could do easily i.e. fit these rails, ~I am disabled so not easy (but no impossible for me to do).

Also if you have any instructions it would be great.

Many Thanks

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.