Range Rover Velar Forum banner

dreaded crackling stereo noise since latest update

28K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  Mig 
#1 ·
After a year of perfect stereo sound quality I've been getting the dreaded crackling sound ever since i downloaded the apple car play update. Anyone else had this?

#5 ·
Matty said:
Mine has had Rice Crispies since day 1 of ownership (12 months). The last update didn't fix it either.
its starting to irritate me now!!

#6 ·
I have to confess to being a Range Rover Sport owner but the crackling / popping issue is common to Range Rover models

I had no problems until the 2 year service in April 2019 when a software update was installed (sat nav running a bit slow before).

So immediately after cracking/popping started . Love the car but infotainment issue drives me nuts. Complaints and dealer notified and fault accepted - promise was of new software update in June/July. So eventually 19B out and get it updated at end of November.

So noise just as bad - no change whatsoever despite promises it would fix the problem. The noise isn't minor it is loud and pretty constant especially on phone and music. So what to do now ?

I paid several thousand pounds for the audio upgrade to Meridien system and it is worse than my partner's Suzuki which works perfectly.

I see some are saying the update has fixed the problem though - so views please ?

Paul

#8 ·
Hey guys, my velar just got updated to the 19c firmware and with that update plus using an Apple USB cable I have not heard any cracking yet. It's been 3 days since I've heard the noise! Hoping this is finally fixed! I know it seems obvious but make sure ur using an actual apple supplied USB cable!

#10 ·
I've had NO issues for since 19B update. I installed 19C yesterday and working fine. No audio crackles either.

#11 ·
S0d's law if I order one in January I'll get a crackle even on version firmware version 19F :)

Do you think JLR will team up with their new best-friends Blackberry for the 2021 model?
I notice the New Defender is the guinea pig for the Pivi Pro using QNX O/S acquired by Blackberry I believe.

#13 ·
Well. As of today and a few days after the 19C update my car now crackles on any audio, ACP, DAB, park sensors, Siri speech from ACP.

Makes no sense as its never been present before today... 🤬

#14 ·
So good news re Infotainment System crackling and popping noise

After getting what I thought was a software update at the end of November I discovered I had instead had at is called a N347 campaign update
which enabled SOTA (but I wasn't told this)

After contacting the dealer I was sent V19C software update which I downloaded using the house Wi-Fi and installed it (can use a SIMM card or mobile hotspot too)

So today the car appears to be crackle and pop free for the first time since April !!

Nice Christmas present

SOTA is great idea but the comms are pretty poor

:D

#24 ·
Fenton said:
It looks like all the infotainment problems (or 'issues' for you youngsters) has made it to What Car? magazine...
(Scroll down a bit).
https://www.whatcar.com/news/2019-what-car-reliability-survey-luxury-suvs/n20065

Will it make it to BBC Watchdog?
These survey results are relatively consistent year on year. But there are some oddities.

The sample sizes are not mentioned so unsure if there are sufficient number of responses for each car type - so the standard error could be quite big (upto 10%) if the sample for a particular model is not big enough. Also this could be focussed on a particular model within the 'Velar' range.

More problems reported on premium vehicles as there are more options (more to go wrong) and owners are more likely to report even minor faults as they expect a higher level of quality and service.

Also we dont know what is the average reliability score for the full list of luxury SUV polled (several brands and models missing from this list!), so the Velar ranking could well be above average!!
You've got to sell magazines!

That being said 78% reliability suggests simplistically that 78% of owners are happy and consider the Velar reliable.
Somewhat different from the sentiment on this forum on a bad day!

#25 ·
First crackle episode today since upgrading to 19c. But something really weird happened.

Drove 10 mins and it was fine. Picked up some shopping and started to crackle when listening to music via Bluetooth.

Was the worst crackle I've heard since owning the car (1 year). Then the top and bottom screen went blank and the system rebooted whilst I was driving. Once it booted back up, no crackle at all! Weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.