Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan - MY21 only

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Hedders

Re: Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan - MY21 only

Post by Hedders » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:29 am

Hi all,
I have finally got my car back from the dealer after four weeks, and much to my dismay and theirs too, nothing has changed. JLR technical say they “need more time...”
So I still have no data connection for the onboard WiFi which was a £440 option.
Has anyone else with this option on a MY21 car got this working??
New Velar P400 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
Carpathian Grey, Black pano roof, 22” wheels.

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:50 am

Hedders. Without the £ 440 WiFi data package how much data allowance do you get each month from the separate (and included for the first year only) Online Data. My dealer asked JLR and they said they hadn’t decided ! Previously, you had to have a separate sim and pay to top it up if you used functions like the satellite maps - is the data unlimited - I read that there is a ‘fair usage limit’ but it didn’t say what it is !

I am a bit concerned as it seems with Pivi Pro that as the sim cannot be swapped out for one of choice, so after the first year I’ll be locked in to whatever JLR choose to charge if I want to use a lot of data per month on Spotify, satellite maps, etc. Worse for me, if they charge a reasonable amount but limit the data to a very low usage.
P400e - Santorini black with plenty of options
Previous PHEV hybrids - Mercedes C350e, E350e & BMW 530e

Totem

Post by Totem » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Wivenhoe wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:50 am
Hedders. Without the £ 440 WiFi data package how much data allowance do you get each month from the separate (and included for the first year only) Online Data. My dealer asked JLR and they said they hadn’t decided ! Previously, you had to have a separate sim and pay to top it up if you used functions like the satellite maps - is the data unlimited - I read that there is a ‘fair usage limit’ but it didn’t say what it is !

I am a bit concerned as it seems with Pivi Pro that as the sim cannot be swapped out for one of choice, so after the first year I’ll be locked in to whatever JLR choose to charge if I want to use a lot of data per month on Spotify, satellite maps, etc. Worse for me, if they charge a reasonable amount but limit the data to a very low usage.
On the Online Data which included with you vehicle all data for Spotify and other connected apps is included for 12 months. Connected navigation with satellite maps is separate and is covered for your warranty period of 3 years.

There is a section in Pivi Pro where you can view the sim details but unsure at present whether it’s editable for the future, I would have thought legally JLR would not be able to tie you to their provider.
MY21 Velar HSE P400e, Eiger Grey, Light Oyster, Pano Roof, etc.
MY19 R Dynamic S P250 Byron Blue, Black Pack, Black Wheels, Contrast Pano Roof, Drive Pack, AD, Surround Cameras & Interactive Display.

Hedders

Post by Hedders » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 pm

Wivenhoe wrote:

Wivenhoe...
Further to Totem’s excellent reply above, all of that applies to all new Velars. My issue is that in addition I opted for the “WiFi with Data” package. This allows people inside the car to log in to a separate WiFi network within the car, and then, using the car’s external aerial, be able to connect to the internet using a separate built in eSim. This would allow people with a weak phone signal or iPad users without an active SIM to be able to connect to the outside world. The data allowance, for this separate plan, is 12Gb per month then it is slowed down till the next month.

The problem I have is that although I can connect to the car’s WiFi network, the network does not connect to the Internet.

I have had this on previous Range Rovers so I know how this should work, but on my Velar it does not work.
New Velar P400 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
Carpathian Grey, Black pano roof, 22” wheels.

JimH

Post by JimH » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Wivenhoe wrote:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/ ... g-network/

Not necessarily - only if JLR decide to lock you in.....
MY2019.5 D240 SE R Dynamic - Firenze Red, Body Colour roof with fixed panoramic glass and black rails, 21" Style 5047G dark grey with diamond cut finish wheels, Heated windscreen and steering wheel, Adaptive Dynamics, Front fog lights, Privacy glass

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the info. Totem I should have made it clearer, I’m not thinking of the connected nav but using the satellite map function rather than the normal one. I read on here that using the sat imagery in the maps is very data hungry and previously using it regularly put you out of the allowance on the previous system. As JLR wouldn’t or couldn’t tell my dealer if there was a usage allowance I am wondering how this will all work when we have a fixed sim provided and managed by JLR.

The WiFi Data plan has an allowance of 20gb per month - from JLR site -After 20GB of data is used within a month, data speeds and functionality on vehicle may reduce for the rest of the month.

Whereas the Online Plan says - Fair use policy may apply. Includes 1-year subscription which can be extended after the initial term advised by your Land Rover Retailer.

kima

Post by kima » Wed May 12, 2021 6:23 am

FWIW, what I learned/did may help you, solved the Wifi issue for me...

Wivenhoe

Post by Wivenhoe » Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks. I was with the dealer this week and they still cannot tell what the data allowance is for the Online Data pack as opposed to the WiFi data of 25gb. Unbelievable that someone cannot say what, if any, limit applies - someone must have set the criteria in the software !