Range Rover Velar Forum banner

Please help to collect issues from Pivi Pro MY21 SW

13K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  kima 
#1 ·
It seems that new Pivi Pro software and its new features were not correctly or completely tested before getting installed by default on the new MY21 vehicles, as there a lot of software bugs being reported by too many users worldwide.

This is a new forum topic to collect all of them and ensure we continue chasing our dealers and the factory with new software update with all pending bug fixes, as the last update happened on Apr the 1st did not correct all of them.

As far as I can remember:

1. InControl login from the vehicle
2. Issues with Wi-Fi connection and sharing
3. Spotify InControl app issues

Please help by adding other issues you detect, so that we can push dealers and JLR to release a new SW fixing all bugs identified.

Thank you!

#2 ·
Here's my list
1. Navigation slow to initialise (2-3 mins)
2. Near side mirror stays in reverse position intermittently
3. Experienced total crash of system- both screens went red.
4. Slow start up of the system, not like JLR claim
5. Air suspension controls work intermittently
6. Some of the icons on the media app don't always work
7. Blind spot monitor fails to initialise (on both times engine switched off and then restarted without locking up (I was parked up waiting for my wife on both occasions)
8. Car sometimes defaults to sport mode gearbox from the off
9. No data sim available error has occurred once
10. InControl issue as most people have reported.

Have to say most of my issues stem from the update when auto access height menu was installed after being missed off when I took delivery.
Switching off and restarting seems to fix every issue. Just like a really bug laden piece of software.
Can't wait for the update.

#3 ·
Auto Access Height intermittent, now that menu item has at last been added to be able to activate it!

WiFi with Data Plan - I can connect to the internal WiFi, but the WiFi does not then connect to the outside world.

Remote App does not start the Fuel Burning Auxiliary Heater when trying to pre-condition the cabin. It always starts the engine, which is illegal in many places that the car may be parked.

Centre display does not show the locking state of the rear differential correctly - it just greys out as soon as the centre diff starts to lock - however the diff display works correctly when on the driver's main display (Speedo/RPM etc.)

I am picking my car up from my dealer tomorrow after it's fourth visit to get these items working properly. This latest visit has been 29 days - over 4 weeks!!

Now I can get my otherwise excellent car back to enjoy, as the JLR factory have at last admitted that they "need more time" to fix these software issues rather than continually promising updates for the next day which usually did not materialise. Dealer has been excellent throughout.

#5 ·
The immature Pivi-Pro flaws and faults seems to be prevalent across the whole JLR range.

Contrary to the trumpets of "It is ready, for example, to accept sat nav inputs as soon as the driver steps into the vehicle." my Defender can take anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.
Marketing bullshine bordering on a fib.

InControl login not possible for me too.
I received an email from JLR a couple of weeks ago saying " ...still under investigation with our Engineering Teams and now currently no definitive release date at this time."

And, now and then, my reversing camera displays a psychedelic unusable display.

When I first got mine in November the Nav software would accept any voice control and the Infotainment was truly rubbish. My 2016 Evoque was 100x better.
It took 3 months of waiting for SOTA to upgrade.

Personally, I don't lose any sleep over the login business but I find it unacceptable that manufacturers are selling products that are not ready and have known faults.
After all, our money was good.

What are you going to do when you have collated the data?

#7 ·
Hi all, had my new Velar for a few months now I do love the car.
Issues experienced so far are.

Couldn't log into the incontrol account in the car, this has since been fixed.
In control intermittently logs out.
Account was deleted once from the car altogether so had to re-register and log back in.
When the car is switched off for a short period, example getting fuel, this is when the screens can sometimes take longer to come back on.
Top screen has completely switched off on one occasion, had to stop the car for a couple of mins and restart
Have the convenience setting activated, when car stops and seat belt released, the car should lower, never really seems to work, have to lower manually, unless I am doing something wrong.

Apart from all that, love the car and am sure these will be fixed with the next rollout of the software updates, or that's what I tell myself anyways.

#9 ·
My car doesn't always remember my chosen EV mode and defaults to Hybrid. Even when I press EV, it won't allow it, saying it isn't available. Even stopping and starting doesn't sort it. Need to lock car and re-enter to be able to go to EV mode….
Also, despite selecting the first option to save energy, it always defaults to the next one on the list - can't remember settings…

#11 ·
GreyPaint said:
My car doesn't always remember my chosen EV mode and defaults to Hybrid. Even when I press EV, it won't allow it, saying it isn't available. Even stopping and starting doesn't sort it. Need to lock car and re-enter to be able to go to EV mode….
Also, despite selecting the first option to save energy, it always defaults to the next one on the list - can't remember settings…
This can happen for multiple settings. 1st of all with us this was the case when starting an cold conditions and the AC was set to 22°C. The engine is needed to heat the interior. You can test this by switching off the AC and see if it stays in EV. Another common reason is the run in period of the petrol engine. In order to run it in for 2k miles, it needs to - well - run. 😂

#12 ·
The iGuide confirms when the EV mode is unavailable - did any of these apply when you couldn't select it

The following conditions may prevent the EV mode being enabled, or may prompt an engine restart if the EV mode is already active:
Selecting Sport (S). See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
Mud ruts or sand program is selected. See TERRAIN RESPONSE OVERVIEW.
A steering wheel paddle shift is used to select a gear. See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
The wade sensing feature is currently active. See WADE SENSING.
The auto stop/start system is deselected. See DEACTIVATING AUTO STOP/START.
The vehicle's battery charge levels are too low.
The vehicle's batteries are not at the required operating temperature.
The vehicle's current power demand exceeds the electrical power capability, displayed in the instrument panel's power gauge. See HYBRID VEHICLE INFORMATION.
High demand from the heating and ventilation systems.
The bonnet is opened.

The ambient temperature is less than -4°C.
In all of the previously listed events, the instrument panel displays a relevant message. Also, the instrument panel does not illuminate the EV message.

#13 ·
Last update today 27th May from my dealer in Barcelona. It seems that JLR expects a new Pivi Pro SW update by the 1st/2nd week of June. Hopefull that SW update will fix all the reported bugs! Let's see...

"Hem escalat novament el cas al departament tècnic d'Alemanya, ens indiquen que hi ha prevista una actualització del sistema Pivi per a la primera o segona setmana de Juny."

#14 ·
David_BCN_Velar said:
Last update today 27th May from my dealer in Barcelona. It seems that JLR expects a new Pivi Pro SW update by the 1st/2nd week of June. Hopefull that SW update will fix all the reported bugs! Let's see...

"Hem escalat novament el cas al departament tècnic d'Alemanya, ens indiquen que hi ha prevista una actualització del sistema Pivi per a la primera o segona setmana de Juny."
Do not hold your breath! My dealer has been telling me the same since 2018 😂

#15 ·
Issues I've had (in brackets rectified)(then additional issues in 2nd bracket. )

InControl failure to login (in to dealers and the secret software update) (sometimes logs me out and I have lost my Sat Nav saves. Log back in, Sat Nav Saves lost forever ! What a PIA)
Near side mirror UK dosent always go back to the right position. I've learnt how to get this to work. (Reverse, stop, put back in drive, wait for mirror to come up. Then press Park :)
Air suspension only goes to access height when people in the back 2 seats open their door, and engine running. If engine shut off then it stays at normal height. If front passengers get out with engine running stays in normal height. Had to learn to leave engine running, then reverse, then select drive for mirror to come up then press access height. What a ball ache !
Slow start up intermittently of Sat Nav.
Spotify dosent always work.
If I plug Mobile in to charge, defaults to Apple play Spotify and Waze starts, pinging every time I go over speed limit. Sometimes I want to charge phone up and want the car Spotify to play and not my phone.
Had 1 instance of a week with no on board SIM card. But it's not a physical SIM card. ESim I gather.
Drove 40 miles from brand new and soot sensor failed, with orange engine management warning light on. (Dealer replaced sensor and working okay)
Cannot access service or DPF when car is switched on, car needs to be on ignition only. (due to test in 3 hours when home from Denmark)
Don't even know about weather app !?
No idea if Mild HEV tech is working ? There are no indications of it works or not. Dealer hasn't really got a clue either ;)
Massive gap between back seats and rear parcel cover. I know if I had the seats that move in the rear then they would close the gap up. But I haven't so have to live with. 4 inch gap.
Hands free boot opening dosent always work. It's like throwing chicken bones on a dustbin lid if it's going to work or not. I kick my foot in exactly the same way. And it thinks about it for 5 seconds, so I kick again, and just as I'm going to kick again, it starts opening, and then I've kicked. So the. It starts closing. What an awful system.
Near side bottom bass speaker replaced by dealer as vibrating when on half volume turned up.
Whilst driving on a mirror finish motorway M40, car would pull to the left, as in, from outside lane to inside lane in 3 seconds @70mph. (Dealer sorted it when in for new soot detector. )
Pull gear shift into Drive, goes into N first and loud engine and no movement ! How embarrassing, now learnt to hold for 2 seconds and watch it goes into D.
No where to rest right foot.
Blue tape left in multiple positions as new car. Sloppy PDI. Had to remove rear boot plastic trim and then prise out metal luggage sliders so I could get to the blue protection tape.
JLR employer touched up black paint on front offside wing adjustment bolts and dropped 3 spots on the wing. Dealer blamed ceramic detailer, but later admitted what the black paint was and got it rectified, also 1 inch scratch in lacquer was sorted in the same wing.
I removed the Negative from battery to fit the electrics of TowBar. I had a text in 10 minutes to say there is a possible theft alert in the vehicle, which was great and that the security team will ring you within 1 hour to locate the vehicle. They didn't ring for 2 hours, and as such the vehicle could have been dragged into a lead container and been in a ship yard waiting to be stripped and sent abroad. Wasn't happy with that. But nobody to complain and ask the question.

Now the good.
Driving position is fantastic. Drove for 3.5 hours non stop and comfy as an armchair.
Power is awesome.
MPG is great 40mpg on motorway at 70.
Sound system is fantastic.
Looks and feels a million dollars more than the other big 3 manufacturers.
Excited to use off road (mild off road use)
Bad- JLR quoted £2k for towbar. But the Good - Bought GDW (OEM equipment for JLR) detachable towbar(from PF Jones, 10% discount in Bank Holiday) and fitted myself for £357. Very very easy. Took 8 hours but triple checked every step. Local dealer set manual tow bar up in Pathfinder software and did an update and now I have the option of towbar in reversing camera. Of where trailer / caravan is going and switch's off fog light and reversing sensors when a 13 pin socket is plugged in.

#16 ·
I'm somewhat confused. Some people say Pivi-Pro Incontrol Login problem has been fixed, others not.
My recent software-update return to Dealer last week was aborted as they said Landrover has withdrawn the specific Incontrol update.
They added that this was non-SOTA and didn't know when it would be available.

When I moaned to Landrover on 25/May I got a near-irrelevant reply:
"I would like to advise that the route planner and navigation is currently not available with PIVI Pro however, any further updates regarding this will be released via the software over the air feature in your vehicle which will then allow you to log in to access the features. Regrettably at present we do not have a date of when this update will be available. "

(I didn't even mention route/navigation, so goodness know what he/she is on about).
And this person contradicts the Dealer regarding SOTA and non-SOTA updates. What a bleedin' mess.

As a courtesy car I had a pre-Pivi 70 plate Disco Sport: worked better than Pivi I reckon.
It must feel embarrassing when a £200 smartphone works better than a well-trumpeted Infotainment package that has taken years to 'develop'.

#17 ·
I had the dealer "update" my software a couple weeks ago while in the shop. It did fix the InControl login issue, but as a result it now won't remember any of the settings. For instance, it won't remember the seat position (unlike the $1,500 car a friend of mine drives) and it needs to be reset each time (if you're the only driver, then no problem because you can just avoid using the memory recall buttons). Similarly, all other settings (driver panel configuration, etc) get lost if the car is off for 24+ hours.
The response from JLR NA was (paraphrasing) "these will be fixed in a future update and no we won't tell you when".

Moral of the story: before you fix the InControl issue, think carefully if you value Spotify etc more than you value seat position and other settings. Can't have it all!

#18 ·
Obviously we don't know exactly how many people/vehicles are affected by these infotainment faults.

It appears that:-
1. Most/all(?) of the JLR range is susceptible.
2. The much-heralded Pivi-Pro hasn't fixed it.
3. Dealerships (possibly advised by JLR) always blame software first (relatively cheap fix).
4. In some reported cases replacement hardware has fixed problems (expensive fix).
5. Pivi-pro advertising early 2020 implied all-new electronics. Perhaps not.

My questions:
1. If we all have identical hardware/software, excluding the displays/options, why the apparent large variation between vehicle fault reports (crackling audio excepted)?
2. As it seems more common in Velars what is the difference? (Maybe Velar members are more vocal or knowledgeable or have a better Forum? :) ).

Comments:
After a quick nerdaround it seems that JLR, like many others, use the MOST optical network (in addition to CAN).
This MOST network, if like the RRS, is in a daisy-chain configuration.
Therefore, if any module is faulty it may disable or affect other modules downstream by data loss or corruption.
I understand why software is the first thing to get blamed but JLR Dealerships seem reluctant to investigate the network/hardware.

Is it all down to cost?
Or rush to market and let the customer suffer while the system is matured (if ever)?
And keep in mind that JLR are not alone in having infotainment problems (What Car? reliability survey).

#20 ·
When I collected the new car a week ago, the salesman was really embarrassed because the lower screen was blank - black. He got someone to sort it whilst we had a coffee, which they did.

I was on a drive with a destination set and saw a warning that the road ahead was closed in 10 miles. Nothing in the Sat Nav nor was a divert available. Checked the traffic event button in the sat Nav screen - it said "you need an internet connection". I was in a strong Vodafone signal area. This rectified after pulling over, doing a hard reset and leaving the car for 5 mins. Since then Spotify is no longer available and there is nothing I can do to reset it.

The App reports the car's location as the last parked one not the current location - is the tracker similarly confused ?

Route Planner doesn't send destinations to Pivi Pro.

Whilst this is not a defect (as JLR probably designed it ) I cannot run Google Maps on Car Play and have the Sat Nav running simultaneously. I was hoping to have Google Maps in satellite view in the main screen and the Sat Nav in the instrument panel for junction info. As I say, I don't think that this is an issue, just crap implementation of Car Play. I use Google Maps satellite as JLR cannot tell me the amount of data you are allowed each month under it's fair usage policy. Even if I knew what the monthly data allowance was I cannot find a way in Pivi to check the current consumption.

Since Pivi Pro uses an embedded sim we are locked into whatever monthly charges JLR make after the first year and also do not know how much data we are getting. I understand from on here that Satellite View in the Sat Nav consumes a massive amount of data, hence me using my phone with Google Sat view - I get 160gb + all calls and texts for £ 20 / month. I somehow think JLR's monthly charge after the first year will not be competitive with this !

#21 ·
The amount of software screwups in my MY21 P400 exceeds my (usually high) patience level. Since receiving the car I've been dealing with a near-comedy of errors, them fixing one thing to break 3 more. The position of unpaid QA is open at LR, and for some reason they volunteer all of us.
To the particulars, starting with the most recent ridiculousness:

1. Since updating to OS 2.0.10e (yesterday), I get the "Emergency Brake Assist not available" error when I turn on the car. As a result, ALL of the normal assist features (cruise control, fatigue alert, adaptive speed limiter, front collision warning alert, emergency lane keeping, etc are all disabled). Programs (Eco or any other) can no longer be selected (it says "Terrain Response special programs not available"). DO NOT UPDATE.

2. I can't store seat position. Or rather, I can store, to my heart's content, but the minute I shut the car these settings are lost. So, every drive begins with a few minutes of rearranging the seat.

3. More on the seat, I received the following notice from JLR Customer Support, verbatim: "I'm sad to say the Smart Settings where you use your key and phone for the seat memory and steering wheel position have been permanently turned off and the corrective software update will not be available until 2023." --> yes, 2023 is not a typo. To make the car recall seat position.

4. Voice control is absolutely useless, I tried the default, I tried custom, they all work abysmally enough that the only solution is to turn them off. Namely, it only works about 20% of the time for the custom word, and maybe 40% for the default word, does not work if any music is playing, but much worse, it works when not called. Sometimes multiple times a minute. Having a phone conversation (or conversation in the car) is impossible with the feature turned on. My iPhone has Siri turned on, and this has not happened once.

5. Steering Assist is not available, despite being described by the dealer and in the guide. I tried using Lane Keep Assist instead but this is truly asking for the police to stop you - it impersonates a drunk driver very very well.

6. Audio doesn't get paused when navigation instructions come on. Instead, the volume is turned down. This means you miss that bit. This is not a problem if you only listen to music, but say goodbye to listening to a podcast while having the navigation on. Of course doing this with any other navigation app using CarPlay works right, but then you can't have navigation in the instrument cluster or heads up display (what then is the purpose of having these). I inquired about both (pausing audio instead of volume-down, and having CarPlay in instrument cluster) and was told that the engineering "does not believe these are configurable settings" and "these features would be a collaboration effort between Apple and Land Rover". How pausing audio between two apps inside Land Rover universe (Spotify and their navigation) is a collaboration with Apple is anyone's guess; as to CarPlay in the instrument cluster, Honda, VW, BMW, etc have had it since 2019 (iOS 13), so this is a bit baffling.

7. Wifi took an endless amount of iterations + garage trips to get working.

8. Periodically massage seats won't turn on. No reason why. The only cure is to stop the car, wait some time, turn it back on.

9. I get a message that I have a trailer attached and backup cameras won't work right periodically, because I have a trailer. Except I don't - I connected it once, months ago, and that was enough.

10. Settings won't be remembered. Want to see time in 12-hour format? Or have massage auto-activated? Good luck, you can configure it anew every time you start the car.

Note that not a single one of these is a complaint about the car itself - it drives great. But the horrible software ruins the experience. Is there any LR management address to which feedback like this can be submitted? This is a partial list, ignoring the many other issues that took dozens of emails + garage visits to address. All software. They must be made aware how much their software team harms their brand.

#22 ·
I have had 'issues' with my new P400e since collection 4 weeks ago. I am alarmed that you say don't get the update, as my car is booked in on the 5 July for that to solve my multitude of issues.

In my case I have or don't have the following -

On delivery, as the minimum charge rate was set to a rate unavailable to home chargers I couldn't charge the car. I did some digging and revised that and this resolved it. The dealer wasn't aware of the setting as JLR training hadn't covered it.
ATPC - Unavailable
EV mode - temporarily unavailable during the last 4 drives
Air Con stopped working but decided to work after a hard reset but with nothing else changed
Spotify rarely available
Live traffic unavailable due to no internet (multiple times and locations)
Speaker rustling above 30% volume
Route App doesn't work with Pivi
Preconditioning is hit and miss

I complained to Customer Service that when I ordered the car both the latest brochure and iGuide said the car would come with Steering Assist. They pointed me to the small print that specs could change without warning and that it wasn't mentioned in the Price List. As Steering Assist had been previously provided and still is on other models I asked them to demonstrate that there had been a price reduction after its removal - no response.

I have had 6 Merc's and 1 BMW all from new and never known such a litany of issues. The dealer is doing its best to resolve issues but in my experience they are manufacturing & systems issues and they can't overcome by them, other than to try to by just loading up more deficient software.

Like you, I think the car itself is great but the manufacture and quality control (especially the software) is more akin to that of a Yugo made in 1985 rather than a so called prestige car of 2021.

#24 ·
New version 2.1.0 installed on my car last night. New bug re rear brake detection failure warning introduced with this. Claims to improve parking suggestions and navigation display in cockpit display at night plus other bug fixes.

Seems it's another failed attempt to fix Pivi Pro. JLR need to have a serious look at what is going on. Suspect it's software being developed on the cheep with testing being done by the customers.

#25 ·
Are you sure it's 2.1.0? Mine says 2.0.10e, and today in addition to disabling all the cruise control systems, it also decided that my suspension now has a fault, so there's no suspension now, it says "drive with caution!". The car has been stationary and yet it keeps developing faults! No words.

#26 ·
Firstly, has everyone tried the 30 second knob reset? (that cured a number of my problems).

My Dealer emailed me 10th June re Pivi-Pro saying "a massive update and the fix list is so long they haven't released it yet."

Maybe the 12 year old softies have been replaced? :) (I hope they don't move on to Defence or Aerospace!)
All in all, this lack of testing/QA is disgraceful. Whilst it may be cheaper to release quickly the 'brand loyalty' goes up in smoke.

This presumes, of course, that a) there isn't a genuine fault and b) the network, sensors and electrical connections are good.
I mention it because I find it odd that with (slight assumption) the same electronics, OS and software etc. that we have such a diversity of faults across the entire JLR range.

The OP should be able to collate some trends from the information provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.