Range Rover Velar Forum banner

New Software

224K views 565 replies 91 participants last post by  zmanrx350 
#1 ·
Got some new screens with my new software flash from today;

Going to check iPhone connectivity and report back !

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
G
#127 ·
I have a new software version applied, and its noticeably more stable.

Observations:

- The Eco page is changed. New graph type in Eco Data --> Fuel Economy screen
- The In Control Apps now work > 90% of the time. Note, I am sticking on iOS 11.2.5, on an iPhone 7+
- The responsiveness of the upper screen is noticeably faster
- My work order shows "Software Update Phase 2.5 --> Phase 3.0, Part LR110216" - no mention of 17C, but assume it is b/c that's new?

Its only been a few days, but *seems* better - and I am wishing for it to be better!

#129 ·
An update:

After 3 weeks of having 17C and being completely happy, I woke up to my phone saying "You must enter your password after your phone restarts."

My heart dropped... 12.2.6 update had been applied automatically overnight (for those unaware, I was holding back from the latest iOS after hearing Crabacle's situation of it breaking his USB connectivity)! I literally yelled out, "F**K you Apple!!" (luckily the wife was already out for a run or she'd have thought I was insane).

I was so frustrated, I decided to ride my bike to my meeting (beautiful out today for Feb here in NYC @ sunny & 56ºF / 13.3ºC) and blow off some steam. Well, I got back and decided to give the Velar a go. Start the car, play some Bluetooth audio before even trying USB just to give the car a run for its money since upon delivery that would always mean USB wouldn't show up in Source. 2 seconds later....BAM. Auto-switches to USB and plays, art and all. I'm shocked. I unplug it, source is gone and plug it back in. It's back. I try it another 8-10 times thinking it couldn't keep up. It did.

So incredibly happy that the update didn't break my TPD. Crabacle, I'm sorry for your circumstance, though I do hope that my experience is at least some hope for those of you that have 17C and are worried about the update. It's possible it's a hardware specific bug, as noted before there are different suppliers for the TPD units. It's also possible its software related, but regionally dependent. Either way, if you have 17C, I wouldn't yank your hair out if the update happens before trying it. Cheers to beta testing our wonderful Velars :)

#130 ·
Thanks for that update. I always seemed strange that a point release that supposedly fixed one bug would upset the whole Velar system. I haven't managed to get CRC to actually specify whether there is an update I can install (nothing shows on Topix) - still waiting for latest response from them. But my Velar behaves exactly the same as it did before 12.2.6, albeit not perfectly. Interestingly, USB has always worked pretty well for me (with no 17C update), whereas Bluetooth is terrible - keeps cutting out after a period. As you say, could be hardware version-related too.

#133 ·
P380NarvikEclipse said:
An update:

After 3 weeks of having 17C and being completely happy, I woke up to my phone saying "You must enter your password after your phone restarts."

My heart dropped... 12.2.6 update had been applied automatically overnight (for those unaware, I was holding back from the latest iOS after hearing Crabacle's situation of it breaking his USB connectivity)! I literally yelled out, "F**K you Apple!!" (luckily the wife was already out for a run or she'd have thought I was insane).

I was so frustrated, I decided to ride my bike to my meeting (beautiful out today for Feb here in NYC @ sunny & 56ºF / 13.3ºC) and blow off some steam. Well, I got back and decided to give the Velar a go. Start the car, play some Bluetooth audio before even trying USB just to give the car a run for its money since upon delivery that would always mean USB wouldn't show up in Source. 2 seconds later....BAM. Auto-switches to USB and plays, art and all. I'm shocked. I unplug it, source is gone and plug it back in. It's back. I try it another 8-10 times thinking it couldn't keep up. It did.

So incredibly happy that the update didn't break my TPD. Crabacle, I'm sorry for your circumstance, though I do hope that my experience is at least some hope for those of you that have 17C and are worried about the update. It's possible it's a hardware specific bug, as noted before there are different suppliers for the TPD units. It's also possible its software related, but regionally dependent. Either way, if you have 17C, I wouldn't yank your hair out if the update happens before trying it. Cheers to beta testing our wonderful Velars :)
amazing story jake ! It could have been me really. As you know I am too a very happy user of the 17C ICTP update (not only did it solve all my USB pb, but it adds more functionalities such as online media). So like you as I was aware of the possible return to bug situation with the 11.2.6 (crabacle's experience), I kept the old 11.2.5 on my Iphone. Luckily mine did not proceed to the overnight auto update. (don't know where to turn this on or off BTW).

since things are smooth so far which a sort of honeymoon compared to the 5 months permanent USB f... up , I'll stick with the current set up, i.e 11.2.5 IOS. but it's good to know that intime there is hope that thinks might get stable...

#134 ·
quig451 said:
And you both mean iOS 11.2.6 I assume, not 12.2.6... you won't see an iOS 12 version until the fall :)
Hah, yes! 11.2.6

Ludo said:
amazing story jake ! It could have been me really. As you know I am too a very happy user of the 17C ICTP update (not only did it solve all my USB pb, but it adds more functionalities such as online media). So like you as I was aware of the possible return to bug situation with the 11.2.6 (crabacle's experience), I kept the old 11.2.5 on my Iphone. Luckily mine did not proceed to the overnight auto update. (don't know where to turn this on or off BTW).

since things are smooth so far which a sort of honeymoon compared to the 5 months permanent USB f... up , I'll stick with the current set up, i.e 11.2.5 IOS. but it's good to know that intime there is hope that thinks might get stable...
Not a bad choice for now! I also confirmed that Siri is still working, albeit with a bit of a muffled voice when she responds, but I don't mind as long as I can say "hey Siri" and not have to touch my phone while driving.

To turn off auto updates, I believe you go to Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> toggle off "Updates"

That will make it so the iOS downloads don't automatically load, which then prompts you continually to "update now or later tonight." It also stops regular automatic app updates, so that's the draw back.

#135 ·
P380NarvikEclipse said:
To turn off auto updates, I believe you go to Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> toggle off "Updates"

That will make it so the iOS downloads don't automatically load, which then prompts you continually to "update now or later tonight." It also stops regular automatic app updates, so that's the draw back.
thanks to your tip I did turn off the auto update . we'll see howw it goes with the draw back ...

#138 ·
So tonight driving home then lower display malfunctioned, Bluetooth audio was awful for the listener, and then the whole audio service crashed and didn't work except for radio.
This is using the latest software release, iPhone X and the latest iOS.
I'm getting pretty tired of the whole entertainment experience. Being in the car for 3 hours a day you tend to rely on it.
I work in IT (and have done for 30 years) - if I delivered a service like this I would be embarrassed and probably sacked (and rightly so).

#139 ·
I would fire all the team involved in the software development!
Land Rover is proposing a fantastic car based on the digital interface and it doesn't work properly!
My Porsche Macan system is perfect with every kind of device and my Fiat 500X as well.
I had a lot of expectations by the Velar but now I'm really upset.
And I don't have time to bring the car to the service to fix these problems, but I'm not sure that they could fix!

#140 ·
I would fire myself if I had anything to do with the tech in the Velar. Such a great looking and driving car in my opinion spoiled by the lack of fit for purpose tech. The tech in my Audi RS7 including phone connectivity heads up display etc work 100% every single time. If the tech worked in the Velar 90% of the time I would be very happy indeed.

#141 ·
Like I said before, this system was rolled out to all RR models now. Same crap in all new models. Well done JLR, well done. This way they spoil all their recent customers. What are they trying to achieve? Make all customers swear they'll never buy a JLR again?

#142 ·
Picked up my Velar today, had asked for the new software to be installed (which they did), all connectivity seems ok at the moment including Online Media and iPhone X with the latest iOS version.

Will keep a check on it over the next few days and report back.

#143 ·
I do wonder if it is certain hardware from certain suppliers that is causing the issues. There might be several different hardware suppliers to reduce risk of supply chain and hence production issues. Those with "problem" cars might unfortunately have the same hardware in common. My car has been at the supplying dealer for over two weeks and so far o resolution.

#144 ·
Picked up my new build Feb 28th. I've had a few small niggles with the Bluetooth, USB, and the screens, but things seems to have settled down a bit. Waiting for the next version of the software to hopefully make everything 100%, but mine is definitely less buggy than what I'm reading from you folks that get the first wave!

#145 ·
Loz said:
I do wonder if it is certain hardware from certain suppliers that is causing the issues. There might be several different hardware suppliers to reduce risk of supply chain and hence production issues. Those with "problem" cars might unfortunately have the same hardware in common. My car has been at the supplying dealer for over two weeks and so far o resolution.
@ Loz : good point. different hardware supplier might explain why with the same soft specs some people have bugs when some others don't.

having said that there's no way for us to know which hardware we have and I do not think dealers are very much aware of ICTP issues ...

#146 ·
Interestingly when mine was in for its aborted update they did say that they needed to keep it in longer as a part needed ordering to enable part of the update to be installed.

#148 ·
Hi jpthomas, you must go to your local dealer/retailer to have it applied. Contact them in advance to confirm they are offering it as some have found their dealer is holding it back for unknown reasons.

#149 ·
A clue as to what's coming - maybe.
Just watched a promotional video of Jaguar's new I-Pace (which is quite fun and fast)... and I immediately recognized the same base software running on my Velar. Interestingly the I-Pace's marketing spin clearly mentions nothing about CarPlay or Android Auto, but rather you can "use Apple and Android apps through" InControl interface. Hmmm, that sounds like JLR isn't interested in paying licensing fees to Apple or Google (Certainly not the only brand, not wanting to play: https://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-to-treat-apple-carplay-as-a-subscription-service-and-charge-customers-an-annual-fee/) ...or there is some technical reason. I simply don't think the 2018/2019 models will see CarPlay or Android Auto, if ever. That said, that's the least of my worries. I just want what's described by Land Rover, to actually work. With this software not just now in the Sport and original Range, but in Jaguar's I-Pace... there surely HAS to be a solution coming. Right? Hopefully the forthcoming March update proves to be a big improvement.... FINGERS CROSSED. (I cannot connect my phone USB at all. No Siri voice control or play-through. Audio drops out, no InControl app access, etc. - fortunately Bluetooth works just fine.) - and anxious to keep this thread active for the next software release from JLR.

#150 ·
jpthomas said:
Hi there, how will I get this update. Is there an option to download.
software updates for Velar cannot be performed by a simple download, such as what you do with your smartphone. It's a real shame , but you have to proceed this vith your JLR car dealer.

#151 ·
I do find the subject of the glitchy software worrying. Car due for collection tomorrow and fingers are crossed that all will be well.

My reason for nervousness is that I (in effect) rejected my 2017 Full Fat due to ongoing software issues. On that model, they changed the infotainment unit from previous years and the system was fitted only to 2017 cars (2018 having the Velar type unit). I didn't have faith at all that JLR would put any resources into fixing a problem affecting only a small number (in manufacturing terms) of cars. Hence I didn't take up their offer of a replacement vehicle.

However as the Velar unit is now being widely deployed, I do think that JLR will get their act together and get the unit fixed. We might face some glitches in the short term but I'm convinced they'll get there. The sheer cost of all these vehicles going back for warranty based updates can't be helping the bottom line, let alone future lost sales if everyone gets fed up and abandons the brand going forward.

I had also heard that part of the issue with the 2017 was that the same component could came from a number of suppliers and it was impossible to track down who had supplied various chips etc and therefore track down affected vehicles. True or not I don't know but sounds plausible to me..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.